Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SSD's to avoid?

Question SSD's to avoid?

I am in the market for a new SSD for my main gaming PC. I can do all the research of finding the best deals on the net, but I am running into a few names I am not familiar with. Obviously performance vs price plays a major roles in determining which SSD to buy. Some brands have always made quality products, like Samsung and OCZ, but then there are cheaper players like Adata and Pacer.

My question is:

Which SSD brands should I avoid and why?

I got a SanDisk and it's GREAT

Samsung is the best. I have a " problematic Adata " as it was branded by the media back then and its stil lrunning strong. This is a very good read.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-ssd-for-gaming/

Effing Takealot sold the one I had in my Wish list today on Daily deal, for R1529 down from R1850. I only saw this after it had sold out.

FFFUUUUUUUUU.........

Just dont get a Corsair... I had a very bad experience...

Bought a 120 gig SSD that i used for about a year, and apparently there is something called "number of writes" or something like that, and the SSD is only good for that many read and write cycles... I do 3D animation, and the read and rights was obviously pretty high, i just didnt expect the drive to last me a year...

"I shave my arms so I'm more aerodynamic in a fight" Wlad 2016

I have an Adata (SATA) in my gaming PC and a SanDisk (mSATA) in my laptop and both perform equally well. I believe that any recent SSD will be a fairly safe buy, as the tech has advanced quite a bit over the years.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Just dont get a Corsair... I had a very bad experience...

Bought a 120 gig SSD that i used for about a year, and apparently there is something called "number of writes" or something like that, and the SSD is only good for that many read and write cycles... I do 3D animation, and the read and rights was obviously pretty high, i just didnt expect the drive to last me a year...
    All SSDs have a life cycle, so all of them will die eventually (reason why people turn off disk based caching, unnecessary raid is not recommended, etc.) Corsair is also rated as one of the best SSD manufacturers.

In fact, I just bought one!

Name:  ssd.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  30.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaar View Post
    All SSDs have a life cycle, so all of them will die eventually (reason why people turn off disk based caching, unnecessary raid is not recommended, etc.) Corsair is also rated as one of the best SSD manufacturers.
    What is the disk based caching? Look i just had a bad experience, I wont buy another Corsair... Not saying you wont be happy with yours, I just think that maybe the drive I had wasn't suited to what i was using it for...

"I shave my arms so I'm more aerodynamic in a fight" Wlad 2016

Windows has some settings like indexing, which does a lot of operations on the disk all the time to speed up searching. As your SSD is very fast, you don;t need this "cache" it builds, so you can turn it off. There are a few things you can do to speed up SSDs and to lengthen their lifespan, google it (I did, but there are too many).

Regarding SSDs, they can die at any time. I still believe a disk will die either in the first week, or you will get years out of it. You had bad luck I suppose, but I will continue to use Corsairs for a long time!

Ok, so SSDs are awesome and amazing, but you need to use them right. 1st off, only install your OS on your SSD and a couple of apps that don't need to write constantly to their installation paths. Then for the love of all things, TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION TASKS ON YOUR SSD. Don't ever do a FULL FORMAT on your SSD (QUICK FORMAT is OK). Never EVER disable TRIM and ensure it's ON. Don't put your SWAP FILE on your SSD, in fact DISABLE that shit on your SSD.

Also, try moving your windows profile to a mechanical drive. Your profile is written to EVERY SINGLE TIME you boot your system, when you log on, when you open a file, when you change a program setting, your temporary internet files, bloody everything you do modifies files in your Windows profile. Yes, this will slow down your login process, but will extend the life of your SSD.