Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: VAT is coming to Stream, EMPTY YOUR WALLET!!!

Do we need three different threads about this?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Imp_ZA View Post
    Do we need three different threads about this?
    haha! seems like it. but let's leave that till next week

As long as the interface stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MalicE View Post
    geeez, and all I asked was what game I should buy with my steam credit
    Lol, well, clearly there is a split, I trying to be optimistic about this change, and hope they treat us like other emerging markets and actually make games cheaper. So I would wait. But other think it will become more expensive so you should buy now. Without really anymore info than we have now, I would just flip a coin.

It looks like actual VAT is going to be added on to Steam for us from March onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by VG247
    Steam game prices may increase in Australia, New Zealand, India, Switzerland, more this year
    The price of digital games on Steam could be on the rise in a few different countries, thanks to new tax laws.

Game prices on Steam may soon get a hike in certain countries. That’s because Steam will now start including sales tax in the prices displayed on the store in ten countries.

Valve revealed this in an email sent to developers (via Gamespot). The email also outlined all the countries included in this move, the percentage of tax to be added, as well as when we can expect to see the change.

March
    • Switzerland 8%
    • South Korea 10%
    • Japan 8%
    • New Zealand 15%
    • Iceland 24%
    • South Africa 14%
    • India 15%

More
    Well, VAT free games were good while they lasted.

That's disappointing.

More KFC and Nando's for the powers that be...

That is... unfortunate.
    T A N S T A A F L

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Won't Steam absorb the VAT?
    From what I've heard it sounds like it will be up to individual developer/publisher's discretion. It's ultimately them who will be taking home less money. No doubt companies like Konami and Bethesda, who are already shafting us with insane prices on Steam that are often more than retail, will not be absorbing the VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
    Ok yeah, but goes back to Valve absorbs the tax. In the states they still would pay $19.99, doesn't matter if they pay tax or not (Since it different for each State).
    I don't think so. I was reading the other day on Reddit that people complained about paying more on Xbox Live if they live in certain states. Depending on the state, tax is added on top of the list price. I had to fake a US address to buy backwards compatible games on Live and was advised to pick an address in a state that doesn't charge tax on digital purchases. I suspect Steam would work similarly, but I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    I don't think so. I was reading the other day on Reddit that people complained about paying more on Xbox Live if they live in certain states. Depending on the state, tax is added on top of the list price. I had to fake a US address to buy backwards compatible games on Live and was advised to pick an address in a state that doesn't charge tax on digital purchases. I suspect Steam would work similarly, but I hope I'm wrong.
    US has sales tax, not VAT. So it's the case even going into a store in the US, when you purchase something, the price you see on the shelf is before tax has been added. So I guess this would also apply to sales of products online for US users. I still think (and just being optimistic) they will absorb VAT in our case.