Thread: My i7 Upgrade planning stage has started.

Default My i7 Upgrade planning stage has started.

Okay so, I've been thinking about going to the i7 setup for a long time now and I think with the announcement of the new 980x 6 core i7 CPU the time has arrived for me to upgrade.

This is what I've decided on currently:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A UD7 (R4600)
    RAM: Corsair TR3X6G2000C8GTF / CMG6GX3M3A2000C8 , Dominator GT , with DHX technology + airflow Fan , 3 x 2Gb/2048mb kit , ddr3-2000 (R4200)
    CPU: Intel i7 980X (price to be confirmed - apparently $1000 so about R10,000).

I'm also going to need to change my soundcard because I currently have a Creative X-Fi Fatality Champion Edition. The new motherboard's layout does not allow me to use the PCI slot due to my SLI setup and PhysX card. So my new audio card will be an Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI-X card.

Oh...I want to add that this is not a bragging post. If you want to comment on any of the components, please do so
    Last edited by Neo; 01-03-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    My ignore list: growing too fast to keep updating.

Neo, can you add pics of the equipment?

If there's one thing I'm slack on knowledge, it's RAM...what made you go for that setup? ... and I'm assuming this will be your gaming pc ... do you think that much ram will be necessary if you're not running multiple memory intensive programs? (Yes, I know the saying "Need moar ram" )

Also, which case, PSU & Cooling option are you going to settle for?

Keyboard / Mouse options?

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    Neo, can you add pics of the equipment?

If there's one thing I'm slack on knowledge, it's RAM...what made you go for that setup? ... and I'm assuming this will be your gaming pc ... do you think that much ram will be necessary if you're not running multiple memory intensive programs? (Yes, I know the saying "Need moar ram" )

Also, which case, PSU & Cooling option are you going to settle for?

Keyboard / Mouse options?
    Motherboard:

RAM:

Sound Card:

My case and power supplies are all top notch still. I have an Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000 Watt PSU and my case is a Coolermaster Cosmos RC1000. Everything else in my PC is still the same:

Keyboard: MS Reclusa
    Mouse: Razer Mamba
    Speakers: Logitech Z5500
    Monitor: Samsung T260
    Hard Drives: 2x 150GB WD RaptorX drives (raid 0)
    Storage: 1.5TB Seagate HDD
    2 DVD Writers.
    2x Nvidia XFX GTX280's
    1x Nvidia XFX 9800GT for PhysX
    My ignore list: growing too fast to keep updating.

That memory plus cooling is bigger than my GPU.

that's one mean machine, making me drool. lol

Oh...I want to add that this is not a bragging post
    Yeah right!
    I call shenanigans on that.

You don't perhaps think that you are going overboard with the components you have chosen, do you?
    Why in the name of Bioware would you want to spend R4600 on a motherboard? What makes it that much more special than a regular LGA1156. Are the performance gains so tremendous that it warrants paying
    an arm and a leg for it?

I feel.....sick. What are you planning on doing with this machine anyway?
    =|This space for rent|=

Wow that is some serious dough your going to spend their.

That will be a monster!

You don't think it will be worthwhile to see if they release a similar 6 core comparable to the 920 or 930 CPU's and then overclock it. Is that R10 000 justifiable?