Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm suffering from FPS fatigue and this is why...

Default I'm suffering from FPS fatigue and this is why...

I'm tired of generic first person shooters that really fail to innovate and just end up being a better looking rehash of its predecessors.

While I love playing some FPS titles, of late I'm getting bored of seeing a new Battlefield and Call of Duty title EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Battlefield :

2002 - Battlefield 1942
    2003 - Expansions for Battlefield 1942
    2004 - Battlefield Vietnam
    2005 - Battlefield 2
    2006 - Battlefield 2142
    2007 - Expansion for Battlefield 2142
    2008 - Battlefield Bad Company
    2009 - Battlefield Heroes / Battlefield 1943
    2010 - Battlefield Bad Company 2
    2011 - Battlefield 3
    2012 - Battlefield Expansions
    2013 - Battlefield 4
    2014 - Battlefield 4 Expansions
    2015 - Battlefield Hardline

Call of Duty

2003 - Call of Duty
    2004 - Call of Duty Finest Hour
    2005 - Call of Duty 2
    2006 - Call of Duty 3
    2007 - Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
    2008 - Call of Duty : World at War
    2009 - Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    2010 - Call of Duty Black Ops
    2011 - Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
    2012 - Call of Duty Black Ops 2
    2013 - Call of Duty Ghosts / Strike Team
    2014 - Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
    2015 - Call of Duty Black Ops 3

I don't get it, even though I enjoy shooting opponents and blowing stuff up as much as the next guy it's all just more of the same just looking better every single year. Are we as gamers just mindless consumers of the same crap if it gets a new wrapper every year?

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    I'm tired of generic first person shooters that really fail to innovate and just end up being a better looking rehash of its predecessors.

While I love playing some FPS titles, of late I'm getting bored of seeing a new Battlefield and Call of Duty title EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Battlefield :

2002 - Battlefield 1942
    2003 - Expansions for Battlefield 1942
    2004 - Battlefield Vietnam
    2005 - Battlefield 2
    2006 - Battlefield 2142
    2007 - Expansion for Battlefield 2142
    2008 - Battlefield Bad Company
    2009 - Battlefield Heroes / Battlefield 1943
    2010 - Battlefield Bad Company 2
    2011 - Battlefield 3
    2012 - Battlefield Expansions
    2013 - Battlefield 4
    2014 - Battlefield 4 Expansions
    2015 - Battlefield Hardline

Call of Duty

2003 - Call of Duty
    2004 - Call of Duty Finest Hour
    2005 - Call of Duty 2
    2006 - Call of Duty 3
    2007 - Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
    2008 - Call of Duty : World at War
    2009 - Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    2010 - Call of Duty Black Ops
    2011 - Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
    2012 - Call of Duty Black Ops 2
    2013 - Call of Duty Ghosts / Strike Team
    2014 - Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
    2015 - Call of Duty Black Ops 3

I don't get it, even though I enjoy shooting opponents and blowing stuff up as much as the next guy it's all just more of the same just looking better every single year. Are we as gamers just mindless consumers of the same crap if it gets a new wrapper every year?
    I'm totally with you on this. What's weird is that with all those being churned out, I still go back time and time again to CS:GO... and isnt it rather strange, that you grow sick and tired of the constant new titles, but go back to that 1 game you bought ages ago and judging from player base, we're not alone in this feeling. And its not nostalgia either..

But this is the direct result of companies not NURTURING their fanbase, but instead milking them.

I agree they're all starting to become quite generic. Which is why I'm hoping so badly for something of the arena-shooter to make an impression and bring back the genre as a whole. I think this is what the FPS genre as a whole needs to make it more refreshing and entertaining again, adds some diversity.

Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean

Ive been sick of FPS's since 2013 or so. Ive said a good few time on this forum that it needs to change especially, the floating gun look.
    I cant believe that a all these new FPS games are still using the default mechanics and view points that they have been using since the First Cry or earlier.

ARMA does it right I feel, or as right as it possibly could be. I think the ARMA developers need to simplify matchmaking and servers though.

I also got sick of FPS games because Im just so sick and tired of shooting my fellow humans. Really, Im tired of human on human on human violence. To the point of tears almost. So I have become I big fan of shooting aliens and monsters instead.

For a time before I quit most FPS games I would pretend that Battlefield or Call of Duty was paintball. It helped ease my mind a bit. Theres enough violence in the world. I want no part of it, even virtually.

Quote Originally Posted by mottamort View Post
    I'm totally with you on this. What's weird is that with all those being churned out, I still go back time and time again to CS:GO... and isnt it rather strange, that you grow sick and tired of the constant new titles, but go back to that 1 game you bought ages ago and judging from player base, we're not alone in this feeling. And its not nostalgia either..

But this is the direct result of companies not NURTURING their fanbase, but instead milking them.
    I think it's sometimes just a result of being lazy. I can really appreciate a game that looks amazing, let's be honest, we all do. However, when this comes at the detriment of story, atmosphere or even gameplay you might have an issue. I want a title to take me on a journey and to tell me a story without holding my hand or railroading me though it. Even if i don't really have a choice, let it seem like I have a choice. I want the illusion of choice.

Though I have found that Killing Floor 2 has helped to alleviate this burnout. Like [MENTION=1175]Brad[/MENTION]bear17 says, it's really refreshing to play co-op and only shoot at waves and spawns of enemies.

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Why the hell has no one in this thread even TRIED the new Unreal Tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoup View Post
    Why the hell has no one in this thread even TRIED the new Unreal Tournament?
    I'm man enough to admit that I haven't, and I'm ashamed!

Just a few people it seems.

I stop buying cod and battle field after mw2 and 3. (fk that flashlight)

But I do have:
    Borderlands 2
    Payday 2
    Killing floor 2
    Natural selection 2 is also in here but the guys that have been playing it since one really spoiled the experience.
    Since they are all pretty diffrent its enough.
    Evil meet my Sword. Sword, meet Evil!

"There's only one philosophy we folla.....and that's the mighty American dolla!" - Dan Bull

Why doesn't Call of Duty of Battlefield not innovate and change their formula? It's because it's working. It's working very very well for them. CoD and Battlefield games are constantly on every top sales list every year, they sell games by the millions, and millions of people are playing it every day on all platforms. Why would they change? It's clearly what the people want. If it wasn't, people would not be buying it.

Let's face facts people, we here on the forum that get's burnt out from these types of FPS games are the minority. We make up a very small, but vocal part of the gaming community. We are the ones that would complain first about lack of innovation, but it doesn't deter the sales of these games. Tally up all sales from all the games in OP's list, the revenue are in the billions, with trillions of hours being set by millions of players. These are numbers that cannot be ignored. These numbers are what makes these companies liquid at the end of the financial year, ensuring their continuation and ability to make more games.

This is not to say innovation is completely dead. There are many smaller companies trying something different, with different business models (F2P vs DLC vs Micro transactions etc.). These games are extremely fun and just what the FPS genre needs. The problem is these games usually don't sell or draw the same kind of numbers that Battlefield and CoD has.

The tribe has spoken it seems. The world WANTS these types of FPS games. It may not NEED it, but the numbers don't lie.

Sad, but true.