Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Piracy group nearly gives up on cracking Just Cause 3, warns of bleak future

Yeah I'm on the fence. I know piracy is wrong and all, but with some of the half-baked releases that get pushed out these days along with the fact that nearly no one does demos anymore, this is usually the only way to tell whether the game is worth the asking price (let alone whether it works on your PC), and I've no shame in admitting I've pirated the odd game before buying. Being primarily a console gamer, I've no issue paying for games I know for sure will run smoothly on my system. PC games used to be substantially cheaper, but that trend is also changing rapidly (might just be the weak rand, I've not looked into it enough), and with some games performing awfully on systems well above the recommended requirements, it's a bleak future if piracy falls away and you have no choice but to take the risk if you want to play a game. I know Steam offers refunds, but I'm still in the minority that prefers physical copies, which in my experience your chance of getting refunded are slim to none.

It's good to see that there are some improvements to reduce piracy, but it is only a matter of time untill it gets cracked, any code written can be broken given enough time is what I believe, and it only takes one guy with a grudge on the development team to leak a backdoor, and all that security effort goes to waste.

There are some smart people out there, someone will surely figure it out givin enough time and effort.
    Almighty legit one.

Steam: TechThief Battle.net: TechThief#2664 Uplay: CrzCop Origin: TechThief

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechThief View Post
    It's good to see that there are some improvements to reduce piracy, but it is only a matter of time untill it gets cracked, any code written can be broken given enough time is what I believe, and it only takes one guy with a grudge on the development team to leak a backdoor, and all that security effort goes to waste.

There are some smart people out there, someone will surely figure it out givin enough time and effort.
    The question is, will anyone still care by the time they figured it out?

Assassin of Accountants Ike_009's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoup View Post
    The question is, will anyone still care by the time they figured it out?
    I think thats the point, after a month you've lost the hype and if a Dev can maximise their sales in that period then they can recover their costs. After that point I doubt they care about pirates.
    My ignore list: n/a

Quote Originally Posted by gr33nFIEND View Post
    "There will be no free games to play in the world." Except for, you know, like a shit ton free-to-play or otherwise just plain free games, many of which are of exceptional quality.
    Ya, first thought here was how many hours my friend has put into DOTA 2...

My only concern is the tighter the DRM, the more the end-user gets abused... We could end up with 'pay per install' if we're really unlucky. I doubt that will happen, but corporate greed has been getting worse and worse overall.

Assassin of Accountants Ike_009's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by murfle View Post
    My only concern is the tighter the DRM, the more the end-user gets abused... We could end up with 'pay per install' if we're really unlucky. I doubt that will happen, but corporate greed has been getting worse and worse overall.
    A pay per install system makes no sense, it just opens up so many problems for both parties. You have more chance of pigs learning to fly.
    My ignore list: n/a

Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean

Developers have a right to protect their products no matter how kak that product may be. Stopped pirating games a long long time ago.......

in a galaxy far away....couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike_009 View Post
    A pay per install system makes no sense, it just opens up so many problems for both parties. You have more chance of pigs learning to fly.
    I know, it was just the first stupid example that came to mind. The publishers will probably come up with something more ludicrous. Or everything will go the route of streaming like Playstation Now...

Overall, I'm impressed they've gotten copy protection working this well. From a tech standpoint, its quite amazing what they've accomplished.

Not that I care all that much about DRM. This kind of thing will only affect AAA titles from big publishers and I can't be arsed with most of those anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike_009 View Post
    It's not that far-fetched when you consider that until very recently many publishers enforced limited activations on their customers, which you could permanently lose if you formatted your PC without first revoking the activation for the game on your PC. I remember having to fight with support to get them to add more activations to my copy of Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. The initially insisted that I should buy a new copy of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    The initially insisted that I should buy a new copy of the game.
    Thanks for backing me up on how idiotic corporate greed has become!