Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stigma attached to gaming in S.A

Default Stigma attached to gaming in S.A

Are you proud to call yourself a gamer and willing to shout it off of Table Mountain?

Do you think there's still a significant amount of stigma attached to gaming as a main hobby/lifestyle in South Africa? Everyone knows about the common cookie-cutter stereotype of a "gamer" from the 20th century. Do you think that people in S.A have to come to acknowledge that gaming is now more mainstream or do you still catch a few funny looks when you don your favourite game franchise t-shirt/hoodie/cap at the mall?

Personally I tend not to buy clothing merchandise of my favourite gaming franchise or hardware brands due to this. Unfortunately I do have a sense of shame when I want to do this sort of thing. Maybe I just care too much of what other people think of me.

Do you also think eSports will REALLY catch on in South Africa?
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

WIN FREE SCHIT!! --> justplay.co.za

I have no shame in being a gamer, but I do often get told by my colleagues what a boring life I lead when we're comparing weekend activities (they seem to think hanging out in bars until the early hours of the morning is a much better pastime ). I don't have any gaming branded clothing, besides my MyG shirt, but I have no shame in wearing that either. Being gay, I've learned early on not to let what others think affect your life.

I suppose. Gaming has been more of a secondary hobby lately, with my first being woodworking. And whenever I meet someone new and talk about myself woodworking is right up there at the forefront. I'll mention woodworking before I mention my wife

Never quite had that with gaming. Not that I'm ashamed of it, but I never felt that gaming was something to be proud of. It's along the same lines as being a proud TV series binger, or an avid watcher of the Discovery Chanel. Great for you but there just isn't much to talk about with people who are interested in different things.

Having said that, I would like some gaming branded clothing but the only things I saw were cheap quality prints on Tshirts. I already look like a hobo, so it might even be an improvement.

I've found that gaming as a hobby is increasingly more accepted by society. Particularly when it comes to consoles, "Even the jocks have Xboxes". So most people can relate to gaming since they game in some way themselves (mobile counts). The only time I get people looking at me a bit funny is if I get into a discussion about PC hardware but I'll even admit that is still a bit nerdy

Hardly believe it is a stigma attached to gaming in S.A as such but a stigma all over. Gaming has become a lot more accepted but there are still some that believe it is a childish pursuit which should be replaced by more grown up pursuits as you get older.
    Gently swaying to the rhythm of his own dreams

@edilwiess I think the amount of money being poured into Gaming, and particularly competitive gaming, eSports, cant be ignored... I was looking at something the other day that showed statistics about Dota compared to the other Traditional sports,

http://dotablast.com/ti5-prize-pool-...tional-sports/

Its mind blowing to see... Also with Twitch TV, which I often watch, iv had people say to me, but how can you watch people play games? How boring? And im like, well I love watching Sport, Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, And Games are the same to me... Why shouldnt i watch the Hearthstone Blizzcon Finals Live? I love the game? Its the same as a cricket world cup? The scary thing about it all, is the actual viewship on Twitch, is beginning to rival that of TV sports like the NBA Finals, NFL Finals, etc...

I will openly wear anything i like that i think looks good, and fits me properly, i dont care what anyone thinks about me being a gamer or not, the truth of the matter is, we are all different people, and things appeal differently to us all... The fact that we are all on this forum is a good indication that we have similar interests...

"I shave my arms so I'm more aerodynamic in a fight" Wlad 2016

I found the only people that attach any stigma to gaming are a few generations past sell by date

My wife often (playfully) mocks me about it, but still suggests that I put on a game when she pulls out a book, and even helped me host two viewing parties for the last two major Dota tourneys. Hells, she even tried watching it with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    My wife often (playfully) mocks me about it, but still suggests that I put on a game when she pulls out a book, and even helped me host two viewing parties for the last two major Dota tourneys. Hells, she even tried watching it with us!
    Tried? Why not watch? You're lucky to have someone that loves you that much
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

WIN FREE SCHIT!! --> justplay.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Tried? Why not watch? You're lucky to have someone that loves you that much
    Well, it turns out that the best way to get a non-gamer to watch a gaming tournament is definitely not 1) with a high paced, frenetic game like dota, 2) when she is recovering from a night shift the night before, and 3) a very deep and complex game like dota. She ried to keep up with the first match (ie. three games) and did surprisingly well, but at the beginning of the final she fell asleep! I'm still impressed that she even attempted watching and understanding!