Page 208 of 1182 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 218 258 308 708 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 11820

Thread: Threadkiller Mk XIII

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualForce View Post
    Sorry to pop this here, but this is driving me crazy... a long couple of years ago, a HDD manufacturer was having financial trouble. So they took a whole bunch of empty HDD enclosures, filled their it with weights, used rocks of some sort I think, then shipped it to costumers.
    Their tactic\logic was, they would get paid for the HDDs and use that money to get the business back on its feet. They would then replace the HDDs sent out with new working ones, hoping no one would be the wiser as you can't open the HDD without voiding the warranty. But they fired or laid off one of the guys who filled the HDD and he blew the whistle... what was that company called?

My google ninja skills are nowhere to be found today....
    Never heard that story before :| sounds fake
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenzdayz View Post
    ja they must watch it just now i decide to beat them with my empty Ricci Louw bottle

Quote Originally Posted by InSanity View Post
    Never heard that story before :| sounds fake
    thats what she said!

thats what she said!
    ... I don't get it :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenzdayz View Post
    ja they must watch it just now i decide to beat them with my empty Ricci Louw bottle

lol, lame reference to fake claim infront of a lady.

But the HDD story is true, at least I read it....but that story might have been faked... still searching.

Hah, found it...persistent googling pays off...sort of, I remembered partially. Miniscribe packed bricks inside boxes to add weight so that their stock would look better than what it really was.

In July 1987, Parker, director of far east operations, told Wiles that something was amiss, and in August Wiles travelled to Hong Kong and Singapore where he found a complete loss of control. The inventory count that fall showed the numbers had grown to $15 million, mostly in Colorado. A report was prepared to consider various solution, but Wiles suggested they continue hiding the problem and ordered all copies of the report be destroyed.
    This led to the company's most infamous cover-up; the managers rented a second warehouse in Colorado where they personally packed 26,000 bricks into hard drive boxes and shipped them to Singapore in order to shore up the inventory count. After the count was complete, they recalled those serial numbers as defective units, but instead of writing them off, they checked them into inventory, along with other failed drives that had been returned.
    Source : Wikipedia

More here and here.
    Last edited by VirtualForce; 11-05-2016 at 03:36 PM.

What a day! I need a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    What a day! I need a beer.
    amen...it'll be a beer massacre

amen...it'll be a beer massacre
    Now we just need it to be home time.

Why is it so difficult to find a decent USB to 9-pin serial adapter that has Windows 7+ 64-bit drivers?

Afternoon folks.

Busy morning into afternoon. How are things?