Page 295 of 1182 FirstFirst ... 195 245 285 293 294 295 296 297 305 345 395 795 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 11820

Thread: Threadkiller Mk XIII

Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    The idea is that we stay an independent subsidiary of the larger company. In essence they take over ownership of the company, but we gain the advantage of not having to prime ourselves in the market to get larger (and international) contracts. It's not all "maanskyn en rose" running a company and having to make sure you always have enough cash flowing in to cover salaries and other expenses. Your staff are your first priority and you work in the hope that "one day" you'll be able to give yourself a raise (never mind bonuses). I haven't had a raise in the last 3 years and I've never in my life experienced the mythical "bonus". So, in short, it is very tempting having a large player in the industry showing interest in us and I can then get back to focusing on what I'm really good at - building software, frameworks and tools for developers to do their jobs better.
    That does sound like a win-win. I'm lucky (?) enough to also work for a small company, we have shitloads of work, but constant cashflow issues, and with me wanting to start my own company some day, I'm keeping a close eye on these sort of problems and how to deal with them (or not to deal with them). Seeing the directors and some of the senior guys here forego salaries every now and then does put the romantic side of running your own business into perspective.

So ja, someone taking care of the marketing and feeding you work while you maintain some autonomy sounds wonderful.

Not knowing much of the infrastructure side of IT, that sounds fairly specific to your environment. I'm always quite wary of interviewing candidates solely on the tech and processes I use on a daily basis. I rather look at their ability to learn, their fit into the company culture and their dedication to helping the company grow as a whole. I guess being in a small startup (11 people) you can always get people up to speed on the tech you use and rather focus on someone you can invest time in. A high staff turnover is the death of any small company.
    I think that's our biggest problem. About 50% of the engineers has less than 5 years here. It's beginning to look up now, where more than 80% has more than 2 years, but I'm also sensing some turnover coming in the next 6 months.

Not knowing much of the infrastructure side of IT, that sounds fairly specific to your environment. I'm always quite wary of interviewing candidates solely on the tech and processes I use on a daily basis. I rather look at their ability to learn, their fit into the company culture and their dedication to helping the company grow as a whole. I guess being in a small startup (11 people) you can always get people up to speed on the tech you use and rather focus on someone you can invest time in. A high staff turnover is the death of any small company.
    Fully agree with this approach you can teach a monkey how to code, but you cant teach a monkey to love code and want to learn more
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenzdayz View Post
    ja they must watch it just now i decide to beat them with my empty Ricci Louw bottle

Quote Originally Posted by InSanity View Post
    Fully agree with this approach you can teach a monkey how to code, but you cant teach a monkey to love code and want to learn more
    You should stop trying to teach monkeys to code.

I also work for a small company. I wish we were more busy and organised.
    T A N S T A A F L

Afternoonings!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Hello WinzEveryDayz.

so i had to leave work early cause the granite ppl are coming today to do our kitchen counter tops.... told the boss i will only be an hour... looks like i might not go back to work cause our whole entire one wall is skew which messes everything up for the granite guys...
    Hello WinzEveryDayz.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenzdayz View Post
    so i had to leave work early cause the granite ppl are coming today to do our kitchen counter tops.... told the boss i will only be an hour... looks like i might not go back to work cause our whole entire one wall is skew which messes everything up for the granite guys...
    Aggenee Wenzie, hoe skeef is die muur?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    Aggenee Wenzie, hoe skeef is die muur?
    moerse skeef soveel so dat ek amper my hand op een plek kan indruk
    Hello WinzEveryDayz.

Yeah, it's a question that only a person that works as a Storage Administrator/Engineer will know exactly how to answer, however we weren't looking for a specific right or wrong answer, but more specifically an answer that makes sense.

The answer BTW :

Connect Server to SAN Fabric; At least 1 port on each HBA connected to Fabric A and the other to Fabric B; Determine the WWNN and WWPN for the HBAs. Create an initiator group, add the WWPNs of the HBAs to the initiator group. Create the 40GB LUN with a LUN ID of 0, add the LUN to the initiator group. Do the zone configuration on the SAN switches for Fabric A and B in order for the HBAs to speak to the SAN. Boot the OS, detect LUN 0, install the OS on device presented as LUN 0

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    I, for one, know exactly what to do. It's all about the LUNs. And the NUBs. And some QLogic. But I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Connect Server to SAN Fabric; At least 1 port on each HBA connected to Fabric A and the other to Fabric B; Determine the WWNN and WWPN for the HBAs. Create an initiator group, add the WWPNs of the HBAs to the initiator group. Create the 40GB LUN with a LUN ID of 0, add the LUN to the initiator group. Do the zone configuration on the SAN switches for Fabric A and B in order for the HBAs to speak to the SAN. Boot the OS, detect LUN 0, install the OS on device presented as LUN 0
    That's nearly exactly what I said.