Thread: Creating and editing web pages

Default Creating and editing web pages

This week is budget week at ELCB

Someone came around asking whether there are any courses we might like to go on.
    I am down for MS Access and have expressed an interest in learning how to create
    web pages. To my surprise, the boss didn't shoot that down, but said I should find out
    what the prerequisites are for doing that sort of thing and get back to him about it.

I told him that it might be handy to have someone around who could act as a backup
    should those who normally work on the website be too busy.

What prerequisites should I have satisfied before I tackle html?
    Last edited by phoenix; 15-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    =|This space for rent|=

I wouldn't say much. How good is your computer skills?

HTML is quite an entry level form of programming. And there are plenty of visual tools to help you along so you don't have to be a total expert in HTML just to get started.

The only thing that I see as a pre-req is that you are good with computers. If you struggle with basic functions, you might have a tough time getting into any kind of programming.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    What prerequisites should I have satisfied before I tackle html?
    Heh, "tackle". HTML is mostly just formatting - i.e. organising the way text and visual objects are arranged on a page. It's extremely easy to learn, and the only real prerequisite is some basic familiarity with computers. Of course, web page development goes a lot further than HTML (and CSS), since so many sites use databases and whatnot. That's where XML, .NET frameworks, Javascript, jquery, Flash, PHP, and everything else comes in.

HTML is pretty simple and basic to learn, but as Azi mentioned there is plenty more to it than just HTML.

Now days I dont even bother building sites from scratch, I just use systems like Joomla, Droople etc.
    "My friend told me the other day that I was delusional. I almost fell off my Unicorn."

MyGaming Comp Authoritah sycogrim's Avatar

if you wanna start learning HTML go to www.w3schools.com fantastic website to use for starters I still use it to this day if I dont understand something.
    All it takes is ONE BAD DAY tO ReDuCe the SaNesT Man Alive To LuNaCy. That's How Far The World Is From Where I am. JUST ONE BAD DAY

Blog Entries . YouTube Channel and Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFox
    I'm gonna tolerate and love...........THE SHIT OUTTA YOU
    Shadowfox's response to me in my failed attempts to annoy him

HTML and CSS are used to build websites but bare in mind that these websites will be static. If you want to have a website where you can update content using a content management system then you'll need to learn things like PHP, ASP, MySQL etc.

If your company has a fairly complicated website that involves content managed info then perhaps you may want to rethink your "being backup" plan
    This user has a spatula. We don't know why but we are afraid!

Thank you for your input.

I am conversant with elementary Windows operations as well as all of Office bar Access and am no stranger to the internet, so
    I think that, at the very least, I shall be able to manage opening Notepad and making my way to w3schools.

I'll dip into Azimuth's alphabet soup once I am confident that I know a thing or two about html.
    =|This space for rent|=