Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Types of jobs in game development in South Africa

  1. #1
    MyGaming Journalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Joburg
    Posts
    3,945

    Default Types of jobs in game development in South Africa

    Types of jobs in game development in South Africa

    Many young tech enthusiasts want to become game developers, but they may have to decide on a specific field of specialization.

  2. #2

    Default

    Game dev is a very risky choice in SA imo...

    Also whats with the creepy photoshop pic in the article?
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Game dev is a very risky choice in SA imo...

    Also whats with the creepy photoshop pic in the article?
    I'm beginning to think it's actually quite lucrative if you have a gem on your hands (see Stardew Valley for a recent, small studio success). Developing applications for business is just such a saturated market at the moment - it's reeeeeeeally difficult getting in new business. If you're lucky enough to land a contract, you'll be paid just enough to cover your costs on the project, with maybe enough to spend on a beer or two.

    On the contrary, if you're lucky enough to have funding to spend 9 months developing a kick-ass game for a broad market and you can launch it on an ÜBER distribution platform like Steam where the world eats up unique, cutesy games for breakfast, you're pretty much set. I'm strongly considering doing game development on some slack time at my company to try and find other avenues of revenue. I've got some unique ideas and I'm persistent, skilled and enough of a perfectionist to get a polished product out.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    I'm beginning to think it's actually quite lucrative if you have a gem on your hands (see Stardew Valley for a recent, small studio success).
    Well you know more about real world dev than I do so not going to disagree. However:

    Busy working with some guys that invest in game startups professionally (think dragon's den)...and it looks pretty rough. They pretty much expect the bulk to fail, so as you say you need to have a gem on your hands. Which is fine for the investors...they just need one of their 20 investments to go big. But for the devs...well 19 out of 20 crash and burn. (The 19/20 is made up but probably about right)

    Think a big part of it is whether one can distinguish oneself from the rest in an ocean of indie games.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

  5. #5

    Default

    [MENTION=23304]Jamie McKane[/MENTION] I just want to say that you are doing great! Your articles are 10 times better than what we had previously. Keep up the good work!
    [MENTION=2498]HavocXphere[/MENTION] I'm an ex-game-developer with a new game on the cards (this time on my own, part time) and I didn't even know that there are investors for game startups in South Africa. I know it's a big favour but would it be possible to pm some more information my way? I would greatly appreciate it.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    [MENTION=23304]Jamie McKane[/MENTION] I just want to say that you are doing great! Your articles are 10 times better than what we had previously. Keep up the good work!
    [MENTION=2498]HavocXphere[/MENTION] I'm an ex-game-developer with a new game on the cards (this time on my own, part time) and I didn't even know that there are investors for game startups in South Africa. I know it's a big favour but would it be possible to pm some more information my way? I would greatly appreciate it.
    He's lives in the UK.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    He's lives in the UK.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Damnit that sucks.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Damnit that sucks.
    You live in a digital age with digital connections that have shrunk the world down in size. I'm sure that Skype meetings can be just as handy as actual meeting, so don't fail to think big. If you have a great idea for a game, why not pitch it to some oversees investors? Why should the fact that you live in SA be any deterrent to a company not investing in you? In fact, it would be better, as the Rand/Pound exchange will be in your favour...just a thought

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    You live in a digital age with digital connections that have shrunk the world down in size. I'm sure that Skype meetings can be just as handy as actual meeting, so don't fail to think big. If you have a great idea for a game, why not pitch it to some oversees investors? Why should the fact that you live in SA be any deterrent to a company not investing in you? In fact, it would be better, as the Rand/Pound exchange will be in your favour...just a thought
    Thanks DieGrootHammer, that's maybe a good idea. I don't just have an idea at this stage, I've got a prototype running but would love to go full time to actually get it finished. But can't do that without a salary unfortunately.

  10. #10

    Default

    Been learning Unity for a while now, only taken it seriously in the last 2-3 weeks, never done programming before so slowly learning C# scripting as I go, but I am going to give Playmaker / uScript a go once i have a decent grasp on how the scripting works, which makes it easier for non programmers to script / use FSM's for gameplay etc.
    Last edited by Crableg; 21-04-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. The Game Industry of South Africa - Polygon
    By Solitude in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2016, 12:24 PM
  2. Strike Vector, one game I wish was big in South Africa
    By hideinlight in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 12:31 AM
  3. South African game development approaching tipping point
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 01:58 AM
  4. South African game development - will it ever be big?
    By Lydon in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 22-05-2009, 04:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •