Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Sceptic - GTX260

  1. #1

    Default Sceptic - GTX260

    I was at first a bit sceptic when I replaced my 8800GT with an XFX GTX260 Black Edition. Specially because I am running an oldish 6750 Cpu, wich apparantly limits my card a bit, and I am only using a 19" LCD, so I can only game at 1280x1024.

    I also have only 2gigs of ram, and as most ppl know, with vista and High Resolutions, that's not a good thing at all.

    Now I found some weird things, for example my 8800GT outperformed the GTX260 in Unreal Tournament 3, Test Drive Unlimited, and some other games I play frequently.

    I used Fraps' MIN MAX AVG benchmarking on UT3, using the same levels, doing the same things and I found it strange that the GTX260 had a lower minimum and average FPS, but the MAX FPS was equal to the GT (not using Vsync at all)

    The only place where the GTX260 outperformed the 8800GT, was Crysis Warhead.

    So it cheesed me off a bit. and made me a big sceptic of the card's clamed power

    Then my friend said I could use his 22" LCD for a while, so I happily plugged it in, and put my resolution in all games to 1680x1050.

    and here I was surprised, as In really surprised, and I still can't put my finger on this

    F.E.A.R 2 had a higher MIN, MAX and AVG FPS using 1680x1050 than using 1280x1024.

    Same with UT3, higher MIN, MAX and AVG FPS.



    I'm not complaining at all I am just a bit confused, seeing as the card performed better by pumping the resolution?

  2. #2
    MR. TK 999 Protoss Reaver Impi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Potchefstroom
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Most of the high end graphics cards only perform better when they are on a higher resolution.
    That is because when you buy a PC/GFX cards on line they ask what size screen you have because if you have 15"/17"/19" and buy a gtx260 then you are limiting your cards potential. Then my ATi 4850 would probably outperform your card.
    I think prophecy had some threads contain this info but I cant remember which, sorry.
    Last edited by Impi; 02-03-2009 at 09:33 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maplassie View Post
    I was at first a bit sceptic when I replaced my 8800GT with an XFX GTX260 Black Edition. Specially because I am running an oldish 6750 Cpu, wich apparantly limits my card a bit, and I am only using a 19" LCD, so I can only game at 1280x1024.

    I also have only 2gigs of ram, and as most ppl know, with vista and High Resolutions, that's not a good thing at all.

    Now I found some weird things, for example my 8800GT outperformed the GTX260 in Unreal Tournament 3, Test Drive Unlimited, and some other games I play frequently.

    I used Fraps' MIN MAX AVG benchmarking on UT3, using the same levels, doing the same things and I found it strange that the GTX260 had a lower minimum and average FPS, but the MAX FPS was equal to the GT (not using Vsync at all)

    The only place where the GTX260 outperformed the 8800GT, was Crysis Warhead.

    So it cheesed me off a bit. and made me a big sceptic of the card's clamed power

    Then my friend said I could use his 22" LCD for a while, so I happily plugged it in, and put my resolution in all games to 1680x1050.

    and here I was surprised, as In really surprised, and I still can't put my finger on this

    F.E.A.R 2 had a higher MIN, MAX and AVG FPS using 1680x1050 than using 1280x1024.

    Same with UT3, higher MIN, MAX and AVG FPS.



    I'm not complaining at all I am just a bit confused, seeing as the card performed better by pumping the resolution?

    Yip, the new cards only shine when you start upping the resolution. At lower res new cards do the same or some cases worse than the older cards. Don't know why.

    That's why buying the new cards are only on if you've got the screen that'll utilize them.

  4. #4

    Default

    I found it awesome that with FEAR 2, running 1680x1050 with 2xAA, and every single detail turned up, my FPS were 140-150 while just running around, and in hectic firefights, with like 5-10 ppl on screen it didn't even dip below 60, it averaged between 60-80 FPS. That's insanely awesome!

  5. #5

    Default

    Well I think you know what you need to get now

  6. #6

    Default

    well look I was going to buy the Samsung T260 anyways, but I was really sceptic about how the card was going to perform on such High Rez, seeing that at low rez it was underperforming.

    But I am rather looking at the 23" Full HD Samsung now. same Rez as the T260, only 3 inches smaller, but at R2700 cheaper. I am sorry but I can't justify paying close to R1000an inch extra for the 26"

    After my car is finished, I'm getting myself a 4GIG set of OCZ, or aXeRam, and the 23" samsung.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maplassie View Post
    well look I was going to buy the Samsung T260 anyways, but I was really sceptic about how the card was going to perform on such High Rez, seeing that at low rez it was underperforming.

    But I am rather looking at the 23" Full HD Samsung now. same Rez as the T260, only 3 inches smaller, but at R2700 cheaper. I am sorry but I can't justify paying close to R1000an inch extra for the 26"

    After my car is finished, I'm getting myself a 4GIG set of OCZ, or aXeRam, and the 23" samsung.
    Nice choice. 1920x1080 looks incredible on 23". You jsut made me sad panda with my 22" @1680x1050

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Nice choice. 1920x1080 looks incredible on 23". You jsut made me sad panda with my 22" @1680x1050
    well dude, going from my 19" 1280x1024 to the 1680x1050 22" I got on loan was allready a big improvement for me. I really didn't think its gonna make much of a difference.
    Pyr0 on this forum, has a Benq 22" wide, wich has full HD, COD4 looks amazing on it.

  9. #9

    Default

    I want one of those cinema displays wish they would get here some time soon. That would be sweet

    Oh and btw I know where you are coming from. I have a GTX 280 and while waiting for my T260 to get here I played on a 19" my fps where horrible thought i got a bad card. but when i upped the resolution and put everything on high the card destroyed every single game i threw at it :P

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpoOkie View Post
    I want one of those cinema displays wish they would get here some time soon. That would be sweet

    Oh and btw I know where you are coming from. I have a GTX 280 and while waiting for my T260 to get here I played on a 19" my fps where horrible thought i got a bad card. but when i upped the resolution and put everything on high the card destroyed every single game i threw at it :P

    Yeah dude I couldn't believe it. Look I am no noob to pc's, been doing this for 14 years, was even part of the Overclocking league at systemshock, was overall 7th place for quite some time.

    But I never played with big displays and stuff, 19" being my biggest, and whe n my GTX260 got owned by my ageing 8800GT in alot of titles I felt a bit and

    Benchmarking was a different story, the GTX260 just thrashed everything. But I dont do that anymore, the way that I used to.

    I really couldnt believe that the card actually performs better at higher rez than lower. It's awesome!

    P.S. when you get a cinema display I will trade you one packet of nik naks and a Cadbury slab f your choice for your T260

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •