Thread: PS3 to lose Linux Support

Default PS3 to lose Linux Support

Ever since it launched in 2006, one of the neater features of the PlayStation 3 has been its ability to run operating systems other than its own. Like Linux. Next month, however, the console will ditch that compatibility.

On April 1, Sony will release the next firmware update for the PS3, bringing it to v3.21. It seems the sole purpose of this update is to remove the "install other OS" feature from pre-Slim models of the console. SCEA's Senior Director Corporate Communications & Social Media, Patrick Seybold, says the move is "due to security concerns".

He also says that disabling the feature "will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system."

Of course, Sony is quick to point out the install is "optional", but then, if you refuse to upgrade, you'll no longer be able to sign into the PlayStation Network or play any PS3 games (or Blu-Rays) that require v3.21 (or higher). So no, for many people, it's not really optional.

This of course doesn't affect owners of a "Slim" PS3, as the feature was never present in that model in the first place.

People who already have Linux installed and choose to receive the v3.21 update should move any relevant stuff somewhere else, as they "will not be able to access that data following the update".

The "security" reason is an interesting one, given that, around the time of the initial announcement of the PS3 Slim losing Linux support, Sony promised that "this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases".

We've asked Sony for clarification on just what the "security concerns" are, and will update if we hear back.

http://kotaku.com/5504123/ps3-loses-...yline=true&s=i

I wonder how many people actually use Linux on their PS3.

Alot some doent use the PS3 for games instead run Linux on it because of the cell processors .and to those people this news wont affect them .
    The others do it for homebru and other stuff ,it always sucks when you can do something and then its taken away What if you might use it in the future.
    ?

Originally posted by Tpex (2009 game review) having a knife fight in a phone booth

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptor View Post
    I wonder how many people actually use Linux on their PS3.
    PS3s actually make cost efficient blades. Of course, Sony looses a lot of money on people doing that since they hope to make the money back that they loose on the initial sale through game licensing fees. Since these people aren't going to buy any games, they just make a loss.

this really is not a big deal... surely there are better systems for running linux?

Quote Originally Posted by oltman View Post
    this really is not a big deal... surely there are better systems for running linux?
    There are massive PS3 clusters being used for supercomputing, so I'm guessing 'better' systems aren't required.

The U.S. Air Force recently issued a request for proposals to purchase 2,200 Sony PlayStation 3 video game consoles. Does the Air Force plan to play lots of Grand Theft Auto? No -- rather, the Air Force Research Laboratory in Rome, N.Y., is interested in the chip technology inside the PS3, specifically the Cell Broadband Engine Architecture, according a blog post by Gartner Inc. analyst Andrea DiMaio. The Air Force is studying whether the PS3 chips could be a cost-effective technology for modernizing the military's high-performance computing systems.
    Supercomputer experts at the Air Force already have 336 PS3 consoles hooked together in an experimental Linux-based cluster. Now they want 2,200 more to expand the research project. The laboratory evaluated chips from other vendors, such as IBM and Intel Corp., but found the PS3 chips to be much cheaper.
    more...
    Last edited by Voicy; 29-03-2010 at 12:42 PM.

This has to be Joke.. is there anything confirmed by Sony?

Quote Originally Posted by oltman View Post
    Like the others said. The PS3's blade processors allow for them to be used as a cheap blade array without having to purchase more expensive hardware.

This doesn't strike me as any great loss.
    Those who were using their PS3s for running Linux, building their own supercomputing array or running homebrew shouldn't be affected by this.
    Does Linux have full access to the PS3's hardware?
    I don't know what the figures are, but I would guess that most people who buy PS3s do so for gaming and multimedia porpoises.

So...er...I don't anticipate too many disgruntled customers.
    =|This space for rent|=