Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Powerful is AMD's RX 480?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

It is strongly advised to take anything coming from videocardz.com (and 3DMark, for that matter) with more than a grain of salt, but this graph does seem plausible, considering what we know atm.

http://videocardz.com/60253/amd-rade...k11-benchmarks

Name:  AMD-Radeon-R9-480-3DMark11-Performance.png
Views: 75
Size:  81.7 KB

67DF:C7 CF = RX 480 Crossfire
    67DF:C7 = Single RX 480
    67DF:C4 = Single RX 470 (or R 480?)
    One day, I'll grow up and become responsible.
    Probably not today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister 44 View Post
    It is strongly advised to take anything coming from videocardz.com (and 3DMark, for that matter) with more than a grain of salt, but this graph does seem plausible, considering what we know atm.

The X in the RX series is 10, since it would be lame to call everything a R10 480, R being Radeon, X being 10 and 4xx being the series of card, 460/470/480 and possibly a 580 series.

I am genuinely excited for the new AMD Cards, the last one I had was ATI 9600XT

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    AMD themselves have said the RX480 targets the R9 390/GTX970 and could possibly take on the GTX980 at a much much lower price point while using far less power. Their plan is to gain market share. People need to realize that the ultra high end enthusiast market makes up less than 1 percent of gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister 44 View Post

If this is correct then the 480 competes quite favourably with the GTX 980. & since this is the reference card, I'm hoping we'll have non-reference cards that can reach or surpass the GTX 980Ti. But seeing this, I wonder if AMD will have anything to go against a 1080Ti, which I suspect we'll be seeing sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Glordit View Post
    The X in the RX series is 10, since it would be lame to call everything a R10 480, R being Radeon, X being 10 and 4xx being the series of card, 460/470/480 and possibly a 580 series.

Hehe, I didn't notice that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

Quote Originally Posted by Glordit View Post

Like @Dark Bane I didn't notice that either, but it does make sense now
    I'm still rolling with a R9 270X and I guess I'm a bit of an AMD fanboi when we get to the GPU side (Intel on CPU) so I share your enthusiasm for the new line. Can't wait for October to see the high-end cards but I'm starting to think that the RX 480 may just fit neatly into my budget and give a decent performance upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bane View Post
    If this is correct then the 480 competes quite favourably with the GTX 980. & since this is the reference card, I'm hoping we'll have non-reference cards that can reach or surpass the GTX 980Ti. But seeing this, I wonder if AMD will have anything to go against a 1080Ti, which I suspect we'll be seeing sooner or later.
    These are just rumours, but if it is correct than we can see this AMD card matching the 980 for about R4500 - R5500 (based on the current price of the R9 380X which had ~ the same MSRP at release). I think it's a bit of a stretch for the RX 480 to take on the 980Ti even when overclocked, but you never know. When anounced, the RX 480X will probably fit into that tier.
    One day, I'll grow up and become responsible.
    Probably not today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion!

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    LOL xD You clown. I'm just trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

AMD themselves have said the RX480 targets the R9 390/GTX970 and could possibly take on the GTX980 at a much much lower price point while using far less power. Their plan is to gain market share. People need to realize that the ultra high end enthusiast market makes up less than 1 percent of gamers.
    This is sort of the 1st VR GPU Card generation.

The Nvidia 1080 is Top Dog the High Performance, High Price (although cheaper than past cards)
    The Nvidia 1070 is Mid Range and Mid-Price.

The AMD is Lower Range Low Price.

@The Joker you right about AMD's 480 all these others people just AMD fan boys.

AMD will probably release a 490 which will compete with the 1070 but I doubt will rival the 1080.
    AMD 480 though is a great price and make a great dual or triple card system, with VR needing to render 2 sources for each eye, you may see performance of Crossfire Systems increasing way beyond their current speeds. Rather than working together on one display they can work on separate displays.

AMD focused on what they could do and that was undercut NVidia's price not the performance. This generation of cards mean cheaper better graphics for all.