You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I Am So Upset With Windows 10 Right Now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion!

Quote Originally Posted by Ho3n3r View Post
    Turned it off in January and have done half a season of online racing and this has never occurred once. I only do manual updates.

What happened to you is known as a PEBKAC error.
    PEBKAC...yeah yeah Keyboard and Chair. It's not the windows updates though that I sorted easily enough. The thing that irked me was the bloatware in Window 10 now. It's so internet reliant you got a ton of apps consistently eating recourses.

I basically halved my ping (70-80 to ~43) by cleaning up the Microsoft services running on my pc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Gforced View Post
    PEBKAC...yeah yeah Keyboard and Chair. It's not the windows updates though that I sorted easily enough. The thing that irked me was the bloatware in Window 10 now. It's so internet reliant you got a ton of apps consistently eating recourses.

I basically halved my ping (70-80 to ~43) by cleaning up the Microsoft services running on my pc.
    Oh I guess you didn't install the Skype for desktop, but the native one instead?

And some other native apps.

Got to be honest, yeah, I avoid those things, but I guess these can cause issues in this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    And I'll sommer copy and paste directly from the help file on a Windows 10 system
    You can. I can't remember the exact setting name, but will check after work. It gives me a notification center message every time updates are available, and then if I click on it, it opens the update page. Then there is a Download button - nothing starts downloading before you click this button.
    You got to customise your Windows Local Policy manager and you can set your update options there.
    Yeah windows 10 is purposefully designed that way so they can say its safer OS cause you always have the new updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Gforced View Post
    You got to customise your Windows Local Policy manager and you can set your update options there.
    Yeah windows 10 is purposefully designed that way so they can say its safer OS cause you always have the new updates.
    Exactly. Maybe it's more a schlep for you than it is for others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Haha I hope not, but its probably true. I work with computers for a living and I am the guy at work who others call when they can't fix the problem.

You know how it is though, you just want stuff to work, instead of fiddling with everything, but hay at least my computer works great now.

Oh I guess you didn't install the Skype for desktop, but the native one instead?

And some other native apps.

Got to be honest, yeah, I avoid those things, but I guess these can cause issues in this way.
    I didn't install skype at all that's that thing that annoyed me, windows was just running it in the background.
    Last edited by Gforced; 17-06-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

Yeah, it's pretty much precisely Microsoft's reasoning. On Win10 Home you can't disable or defer updates at all. They want Home users to always be up to date because they tend to be the 'stupider' folk. I don't know about the rest but I've got Win10 Pro on my laptop and Win10 Education Edition on my desktop and the only way to stop the Update service running is to kill it in Services. And obviously the metered connection thing I've been told about now, but I haven't used that yet.

You can. I can't remember the exact setting name, but will check after work. It gives me a notification center message every time updates are available, and then if I click on it, it opens the update page. Then there is a Download button - nothing starts downloading before you click this button.
    Thanks, didn't know that. Is it any better than Win8.1's version of it? It never did what it was supposed to. Frequently told me my laptop is shutting down in X minutes for updates and then it just shuts down a couple seconds later, losing anything I was busy with.

If it wasn't for videogames I would have moved to Ubuntu full-time years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats