Thread: New Router (and maybe modem)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Router (and maybe modem)

I need advice or suggestions for a new (wireless) router. My current one is going to die with death by hammer pretty soon, so I need a replacement.

I'm not even sure which brands to look at. I spoke with a friend and he suggested I look at the Asus DSL-N14U which has a good price, however I do read some conflicting posts.
    Some say it is great, others complain about issues regarding wifi falling away or latency with this router but not another one (they suggest it is the modem on the router). I guess it is nice to have this router as a fall back modem if my current modem were to die.

Anyhoo, some Googling also showed that the TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 comes highly recommended, however it is on the expensive side. I'm also loathe to spend too much on a router, because lightning has already killed 2 of my routers in the past.

I don't want to spend more than R2k on a new router, but that is the absolute upper limit, I would ideally like to spend R1.2k max.

I have this one:

http://raru.co.za/electronics/261991...d-adsl2-router

And I don't even know that I own it. After all, routers should be seen and not heard. I've moved my entire network to TP-Link a few months ago (router, 3 switches and an access point) and I'm pretty happy with the brand.

When you shop around, check all the usual suspects (Rebeltech, Wootware, Raru etc) but do yourself a favour and register with Uniterm as well. I bought all my equipment from them except the router which was on sale at Raru at the time. Just remember that even though individuals can register and buy from Uniterm they are importers/distributors so VAT is NOT included in their quoted prices.
    One day, I'll grow up and become responsible.
    Probably not today.

So here goes...

TP-Link AC750 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router ~R999

Billion 7300NX 3G + ADSL2+ Wireless Modem Router ~R699

D-Link 2740 ADSL2+ 4-Port Wi-Fi Router ~R1043

It's all bla bla bla until you realize that the ugly cheap kid (The Billion) is actually one of the more capable ADSL routers on this list.

The TP link has the faster WiFi (marginally).

Unless of course if you want to pay $ 900 and get a Cisco Router which makes all of the above look like fisher price models

Thanks Gents!

I bought the TP Link AC750 Archer D2, which is the one you linked [MENTION=11450]Mister 44[/MENTION].

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    Thanks Gents!

I bought the TP Link AC750 Archer D2, which is the one you linked [MENTION=11450]Mister 44[/MENTION].
    I did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    Thanks Gents!

I'm very happy with mine. 2.4 & 5ghz wireless n and ac (although not the fastest flavor of ac, but I don't have any devices that can utilize it anyway) as well as gigabit ports (this was very important to my setup). I also found the wifi range to be much better than the D-Link I used to have (admittedly a rather old model, don't remember the details). And I like the TP-Link UI, but that is a matter of personal taste, I guess.
    Probably not today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister 44 View Post
    I'm very happy with mine. 2.4 & 5ghz wireless n and ac (although not the fastest flavor of ac, but I don't have any devices that can utilize it anyway) as well as gigabit ports (this was very important to my setup). I also found the wifi range to be much better than the D-Link I used to have (admittedly a rather old model, don't remember the details). And I like the TP-Link UI, but that is a matter of personal taste, I guess.
    Pfft....UI...

Below is the only UI you ever need for a Router...everything else is a bonus
    Name:  cisco-archive.png
Views: 56
Size:  10.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Pfft....UI...

Below is the only UI you ever need for a Router...everything else is a bonus
    //snip putty
    Name:  a719a80d1c875d4c63c2c5d52d5a27f4.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  72.0 KB
    Probably not today.