Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How soon fibre can overtake ADSL in South Africa

  1. #1
    MyGaming Journalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Joburg
    Posts
    3,945

    Default How soon fibre can overtake ADSL in South Africa

    How soon fibre can overtake ADSL in South Africa

    We find out how long it will be before Fibre overtakes ADSL in South Africa.

  2. #2

    Default

    Ai guys. We really need to work on article titles here. The article never actually answers the question which is the entire title. A much better title would be "Is fibre actually popular among South Africans?" or something similar. This is quite clickbait-y, to be honest.
    "It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewere, would much rather you weren't doing." - Sir Terry Pratchett

  3. #3
    There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    11,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRiven View Post
    Ai guys. We really need to work on article titles here. The article never actually answers the question which is the entire title. A much better title would be "Is fibre actually popular among South Africans?" or something similar. This is quite clickbait-y, to be honest.
    I agree. It seems like they asked "How long will it take?" and the answer is "it's so awesome, everybody wants it".

    Gee thanks, tell us something we don't know.

  4. #4

    Default

    Feedback received.

    "Is fibre actually popular among South Africans?" is not a particularly strong headline, and doesn't reflect the question we actually asked. Plus my boss doesn't like question marks in headlines.

    There probably is a good headline out there that might fit the article better - I just couldn't think of it in time. These things are trickier than you may think.

    Thank you for reading and taking the time to offer constructive feedback. We do appreciate it.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  5. #5
    There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    11,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Feedback received.

    "Is fibre actually popular among South Africans?" is not a particularly strong headline, and doesn't reflect the question we actually asked. Plus my boss doesn't like question marks in headlines.

    There probably is a good headline out there that might fit the article better - I just couldn't think of it in time. These things are trickier than you may think.

    Thank you for reading and taking the time to offer constructive feedback. We do appreciate it.
    Suggested headline: ISP's dodge question about FTTH's future

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoup View Post
    Suggested headline: ISP's dodge question about FTTH's future
    Hehe, to be fair I think they are answering as best they can.

    The short answer to the question is: "Fibre is going to overtake ADSL. How soon depends on how fast everyone can roll out fibre infrastructure. We have no idea how long it will take for all fibre networks together to rival Telkom's DSL network."

    Headline idea: Fibre will kill ADSL in South Africa - we just don't know when
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  7. #7
    There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    11,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Hehe, to be fair I think they are answering as best they can.

    The short answer to the question is: "Fibre is going to overtake ADSL. How soon depends on how fast everyone can roll out fibre infrastructure. We have no idea how long it will take for all fibre networks together to rival Telkom's DSL network."

    Headline idea: Fibre will kill ADSL in South Africa - we just don't know when
    Maybe it will help if all the ISP's don't focus on the same few areas? That's always the impression I get from FTTH articles. New ISP offers FTTH deals... Services all the areas that are already covered by other ISP's

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoup View Post
    Maybe it will help if all the ISP's don't focus on the same few areas? That's always the impression I get from FTTH articles. New ISP offers FTTH deals... Services all the areas that are already covered by other ISP's
    Yeah... we're hearing about roads being dug up all around Gauteng, so hopefully we'll hear about some new switch-ons soon.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  9. #9

    Default

    [MENTION=289]Jan[/MENTION] can you maybe do an artikal with the isp's on what area are they doing next and what area they see being done in next 6 months to year. or in next 2 years.
    And what we as the general public can do to get our area on those lists.

    this kind info i expected when reading the artikal.

  10. #10
    There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    11,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weasley View Post
    [MENTION=289]Jan[/MENTION] can you maybe do an artikal with the isp's on what area are they doing next and what area they see being done in next 6 months to year. or in next 2 years.
    And what we as the general public can do to get our area on those lists.

    this kind info i expected when reading the artikal.
    Something like that would be amazing.

Similar Threads

  1. Best ADSL ISP for gaming in South Africa
    By Jamie McKane in forum Broadband Internet and Gaming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15-06-2016, 12:40 AM
  2. Cheapest uncapped fibre available in South Africa
    By Jamie McKane in forum Broadband Internet and Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2016, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-07-2015, 07:32 PM
  4. Best ADSL latency in South Africa
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 11:01 AM
  5. Top-rated ADSL ISP in South Africa
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •