Thread: Pokemon GO's player numbers are steadily declining

MyGaming Journalist

Default Pokemon GO's player numbers are steadily declining

Pokemon GO's player numbers are steadily declining

Although Pokemon GO has become ridiculously popular since its international release, the user base for the app has been steadily declining for weeks.

Name:  63011423.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  76.4 KB

This is why there were so many server issues. The company who owns the servers (I forgot their name), said that they're not going to invest in new servers when in a month's time, when the hype blows over, the user base will decline to something more stable.
    Seems they were right to be cautious about the initial staggering number of players.
    Bandwidth: Something more precious than gold in South Africa

Assassin of Accountants Ike_009's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foozball3000 View Post
    This is why there were so many server issues. The company who owns the servers (I forgot their name), said that they're not going to invest in new servers when in a month's time, when the hype blows over, the user base will decline to something more stable.
    Seems they were right to be cautious about the initial staggering number of players.
    But this happens with all games, release week is when everyone goes crazy and then it declines away.
    My ignore list: n/a

Assassin of Accountants Ike_009's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foozball3000 View Post
    But this happens with all games, release week is when everyone goes crazy and then it declines away.
    My ignore list: n/a

I played a bit in the beginning, but never actually walked around to gyms / shops, just whatever i happened to be around. But then i ran out of pokeballs, and I am not paying to buy more, so i haven't played for 2 weeks, until i can happen to be near another shop to get the free balls.

Unless you actively walk to shops etc the gameplay is real slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike_009 View Post
    I think, when it comes to mobile apps, Pokemon Go has been unique. If fact, it was the fastest launch of a mobile game ever. Usually mobile games follow the product adoption curve rather well, with only innovators and early adopters getting onto the band wagon at first. But this is the first time that a mobile game has seen the same adoption rate as traditional games, being initially strong then gradually fade off. It's rather fascinating. So yes, Pokemon Go behaving more like a traditional game than a mobile game.

But I fear that Pokemon will suffer ultimately from its own fame. Any product burning at this rate cannot sustain the momentum for long until the world moves on to something better/shinier. There will be the expected surge of players coming back once new features have been released, and a gradual international launch will mean players will keep on getting stuck in the game, but social momentum will die down and Pokemon Go will fade into a crowd of more hardcore die-hard fans with stupidly OP Pokemon controlling most of the game.

What is a guarantee is that this will not be the last AR type game to be launched. We should all brace ourselves for an influx of many Pokemon Go/Ingress type games. Ingress was the pioneer, the game that showed the world the type can exists, but it wasn't the right time nor the right subject matter. Pokemon Go had both, hence why it will grow this AR market. Pokemon Go is the Apple iPhone of the AR Games world; it surely wasn't the first, but it was the most popular, and will shape the future of the genre.

Okay, went a bit OT I think, but hey, my thoughts are out now.