Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon RX 480 versus Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 - pricing and performance comparison

MyGaming Journalist

Default AMD Radeon RX 480 versus Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 - pricing and performance comparison

AMD Radeon RX 480 versus Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 - pricing and performance comparison

Let's find out which of these cutting-edge graphics cards is the best.

any news on when amd releasing more of the rx 4xxx seriers of cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Weasley View Post
    any news on when amd releasing more of the rx 4xxx seriers of cards?
    Quick search indicates that the RX 460 launches 28 July, and the 470 4 August, apparently.

I just cannot understand how our local retailers can sell the 1060 for the same price or cheaper than the 480, given that it is at least $30 more expensive overseas. Nvidia bias is real, it seems.

Article is misleading as it takes the absolute cheapest price of a GTX 1060 from Wootware, and compares it to average pricing of RX 480's from other shops.

A more accurate comparison would be to compare the PowerColor RX 480 (which Wootware also sources themselves, just like Galax) vs the Galax EX OC GTX 1060.

For intrest sake, the Powercolor was listed at R4799 at Wootware for the 8gb model.

Also you really should compare reference (founders edition card) to founders edition cards, and NOT aftermarket cards vs stock.

Also as a side note, you really should not use Guru3D as your source, they've been proven time and again to have biased/inaccurate benchmark results.
    EVGA X58 Classified | Intel i7 960 | Corsair Dominator GT 2000mhz 6gb | Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH | Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced | Corsair AX 850W | Samsung P2770H | Steelseries Xai Mouse | Steelseries 7G Keyboard | WDC Black 2x1TB (Raid 0)

Not sure I agree on Guru3D being biased, I've been reading their articles for years, and they have always been pretty accurate in my experience.

Totally agree though that it makes little sense to cherry-pick the cheapest 1060 as if that is the representative price.

MyGaming Journalist

Quote Originally Posted by SLicK View Post
    Article is misleading as it takes the absolute cheapest price of a GTX 1060 from Wootware, and compares it to average pricing of RX 480's from other shops.

A more accurate comparison would be to compare the PowerColor RX 480 (which Wootware also sources themselves, just like Galax) vs the Galax EX OC GTX 1060.

For intrest sake, the Powercolor was listed at R4799 at Wootware for the 8gb model.
    That is the cheapest pricing available for both video cards, the Powercolor RX 480 has not been available for quite some time in South Africa, with Wootware listing it as Out of Stock.

Also you really should compare reference (founders edition card) to founders edition cards, and NOT aftermarket cards vs stock.
    The benchmarks compare performance of the GTX 1060 Founders Edition with the RX 480 reference card.

Comparing pricing of Founders Edition and AMD reference cards is counter-intuitive, as the Founders Edition cards are priced at a higher MSRP than the more powerful AIB partner cards.

Also as a side note, you really should not use Guru3D as your source, they've been proven time and again to have biased/inaccurate benchmark results.
    This is entirely subjective.

Various benchmarks have show the GTX 1060 beating the RX 480 in performance, which makes sense as it is more expensive internationally.

Due to RX 480 stock problems in South Africa however, the GTX 1060 is the more reasonable (and cheaper) purchase

MyGaming Journalist

In fact I see the Sapphire RX 480 from Wootware has now also been listed as out of stock.

After a quick bit of searching, the only RX 480s I can find that are possibly in stock/have stock coming soon are over R5,500

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie McKane View Post
    That is the cheapest pricing available for both video cards, the Powercolor RX 480 has not been available for quite some time in South Africa, with Wootware listing it as Out of Stock.
    It is not the cheapest pricing, wootware's stock RX 480 was R4799, the price has only been removed due to the volatile ROE and because of the posibility of them not receving stock of reference cards again.

Few things to consider (as I have -some- insider info), the reason the Reference card is out of stock at the moment is because it sold so well. Wootware are bringing in more PCS (Powercolor) stock, however it'll be aftermarket cards. Your article still did not explicitly indicate you were only comparing "in stock" items.

The benchmarks compare performance of the GTX 1060 Founders Edition with the RX 480 reference card.
    I did not click the guru3d link, here's why (if mods are okay with cross linking forums):

http://carbonite.co.za/f20/issue-inf...e-guru-102751/

ShockG aka Neo, used to be the hardware reviewer for NAG magazine. (Some background info).

Comparing pricing of Founders Edition and AMD reference cards is counter-intuitive, as the Founders Edition cards are priced at a higher MSRP than the more powerful AIB partner cards.
    I'm sorry, I'm a little confused here, how is it counter-intuitive? If nVidia up's the pricing of their FE cards, that's their decision as a company, it should be taken into account, as not everyone purchases AIB cards (especially people who consider aftermarket/watercooling).

What is ironic is that you listed the price of a Reference AMD card made by Sapphire, to that of an aftermarket AIB card made by Galax. That is not comparing apples to apples.

This is entirely subjective.
    See my link above.

Various benchmarks have show the GTX 1060 beating the RX 480 in performance, which makes sense as it is more expensive internationally.

Due to RX 480 stock problems in South Africa however, the GTX 1060 is the more reasonable (and cheaper) purchase
    Head to Head, the GTX 1060 is faster, but also more expensive (taking $ pricing into account). That being said however, when looking at the 2 cards LOCALLY in SA pricing, it might be that the GTX 1060 EX OC by Galax ends up being the best value for money card.

I would honestly wait until we have AIB cards from both sides of the fence, with local pricing to make a direct comparison.

If you had to buy a new GFX Card right NOW(and you are South African), then yes, I agree the Nvidia GTX 1060 is most sensible buy.
    EVGA X58 Classified | Intel i7 960 | Corsair Dominator GT 2000mhz 6gb | Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH | Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced | Corsair AX 850W | Samsung P2770H | Steelseries Xai Mouse | Steelseries 7G Keyboard | WDC Black 2x1TB (Raid 0)

MyGaming Journalist

I would honestly wait until we have AIB cards from both sides of the fence, with local pricing to make a direct comparison.

If you had to buy a new GFX Card right NOW(and you are South African), then yes, I agree the Nvidia GTX 1060 is most sensible buy.
    Agreed

You raise some valid points regarding stock and AIB partner cards, but as it stands currently, the RX 480 is not available readily or cheaply - at least until AIB cards arrive.

Comparing the pricing of Founders Edition cards with Radeon reference cards exclusively would have to be the subject of more specific article, and may be skewed towards AMD due to their lack of a FE premium.

The point of this article's pricing was simply to compare the pricing of the cheapest, currently available graphics cards, regardless of partner brand

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie McKane View Post
    Agreed

You raise some valid points regarding stock and AIB partner cards, but as it stands currently, the RX 480 is not available readily or cheaply - at least until AIB cards arrive.

Comparing the pricing of Founders Edition cards with Radeon reference cards exclusively would have to be the subject of more specific article, and may be skewed towards AMD due to their lack of a FE premium.

The point of this article's pricing was simply to compare the pricing of the cheapest, currently available graphics cards, regardless of partner brand
    Fair enough.

I just got some pricing of one of the local distributors on a Asus GTX 1060 Turbo.

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-GTX1060-6G/

Local retailer pricing should be around the R5399 price mark, which is not bad.