Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Default Diablo IV rumours kick into overdrive

Diablo IV rumours kick into overdrive

It looks like Diablo IV could be announced this year.
    Last edited by Jan; 02-08-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Headline change

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

More like "Half Life 3 level conspiracy". Nothing has been leaked, confirmed or even hinted at. A dice with a 4 out of place does not constitute a game leak. The closest thing we have is probably the job listings that went out a while ago, but that might as well mean another expansion for Diablo 3, or something else; even so it is not a leak.

Perhaps a more fitting title would be "Blizzard possibly hinting at Diablo 4", but I think even that is a stretch.

Sigh. I can honestly say that the wording of some titles of news articles recently have made me skip a lot of articles altogether. They just read "click baity" to me and I really don't like click bait sounding headlines. I've removed/hidden friends on facebook because they keep sharing clickbait things and it just annoys me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Threadkiller - Got the last word in.
    Trophies MyGaming Champion Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    More like "Half Life 3 level conspiracy". Nothing has been leaked, confirmed or even hinted at. A dice with a 4 out of place does not constitute a game leak. The closest thing we have is probably the job listings that went out a while ago, but that might as well mean another expansion for Diablo 3, or something else; even so it is not a leak.

Perhaps a more fitting title would be "Blizzard possibly hinting at Diablo 4", but I think even that is a stretch.

Sigh. I can honestly say that the wording of some titles of news articles recently have made me skip a lot of articles altogether. They just read "click baity" to me and I really don't like click bait sounding headlines. I've removed/hidden friends on facebook because they keep sharing clickbait things and it just annoys me.
    I have to agree with Blazzm there has been a surge of click bait articles. And its rather sad and dissapointing to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Hey @Blazzok and @Wyvern we took a look at the headline and have subsequently changed it to something that better reflects the article.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Threadkiller - Got the last word in.
    Trophies MyGaming Champion Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBrothwell View Post
    Hey @Blazzok and @Wyvern we took a look at the headline and have subsequently changed it to something that better reflects the article.
    The problem for me is not just this article, almost all of the articles in the past 2 or 3 months has been click bait. I actually stopped reading mygaming articles due to this. I stick around for the forums but not the stories anymore - I also don't read the articles on mybroadband.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBrothwell View Post
    Thanks. It's appreciated by the less active member of the community too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    715 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.) MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Mussolini Award -

Thanks @Blazzok and @Wyvern for the feedback. I dislike it when forums go meta, so this is going to be the only post I put up in this regard. Happy to discuss things further on TS/Discord one evening.

We're really trying to grow MyGaming and @Jamie McKane and @RyanBrothwell have done an amazing job to help us achieve tremendous growth.

From under 40,000 local unique browsers to over 147,000 in four months

To put things in perspective... When we took over MyGaming on 1 April, it was doing under 40,000 unique South African browsers a month (Effective Measure stats).

In our first month, we almost doubled that - hitting 74,620 uniques for April. By May, we logged 80,000 uniques for the month. In June we cracked 100,000 uniques - a major milestone we set for ourselves that we thought would take the better part of a year to reach. Last month we logged 147,000 uniques.

It doesn't matter where you are in South Africa's online publishing space - that's monstrous growth.

Growing MyGaming means trying stuff to see what happens, which means making the occasional mistake. "Fail cheap, fail fast" and all that trite stuff.

If we make a mistake, then we know better for next time. However, given the amount of content we put out now, it may look to people like we are making more mistakes when the proportion is actually the same or less than before.

On "clickbait" and negativity

That said, crying clickbait is not useful feedback. The definition of clickbait is nebulous at best, and people use the term to describe all manner of articles they don't like for one reason or another.

Therefore, if an article bugs you please be more specific in your critique and I'll forward the feedback to my writers.

I also wish to ask you guys to please take stuff like this up with me in e-mail or PM. As I've indicated in a previous rambling post, I've seen from other online communities that it quickly becomes cool to hate on the articles, followed by hating on the journalists, and before you know it the whole place is filled with negativity.

I don't want that for MyGaming, and so I'm not tolerating it. Sometimes my intolerance will manifest as a long, rambling post (tadaa!), but I won't always have time for that so in future I may have to delete posts.

Of course questions, concerns, and suggestions are welcome.

So long as they are not couched in accusations, or already make negative assumptions. Having them posted in the right section would also be preferable.

As an example, "Why has article quality at MyGaming declined?" is a poor question, because it already assumes the answer to the question "Has article quality at MyGaming declined?"

The answer is that quality has not declined, and I have the stats to back it up. You might feel that we are not serving you adequately as a reader, however, and that is something we might be able to remedy given specific feedback.

With that, I hope to bring this thread back on track with a separate, less rambly post.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    ~snip~
    PM incoming

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    715 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.) MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Mussolini Award -

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    More like "Half Life 3 level conspiracy".
    So much this. Basically any reference to the digit "4" is somehow a confirmation of the Diablo 4 rumour.

I haven't had a chance to watch the whole video yet, but this seems to center around the intentionally misprinted d4.

Now the speculation around the "D4"... I kinda get that, even though it could just be a conveniently chosen polyhedron. But the "out place 4" on the d4 is just the date of the next Blizzcon. 1/1/4 = 4/11 = 4-Nov. QED.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.