Thread: Here is why the prices of games and graphics cards in South Africa are insanely high

Default Here is why the prices of games and graphics cards in South Africa are insanely high

Here is why the prices of games and graphics cards in South Africa are insanely high

No matter which way you look at it, paying R1,000 for a video game and a minimum of R5,000 for GTX 1060 card is a lot of money.

I remember the days when a PC game was R300. 15+ years ago maybe?
    4690k @4.5ghz |CM SEIDON 120V PLUS |CM HAF 932 |ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer | 16GB DDR3 | 2x Saphire RX480 Nitro+ OC| 2x256GB SSD RAID0 | 850w Corsair PSU

Quote Originally Posted by blaaislaai View Post
    Not even that long ago, I reckon. You could get a big-name PC game for R299 as recently as 2008.

Games that Microsoft published were always more expensive (Flight Simulator, of course, but also Dungeon Siege).

I also remember for a brief period in the 90s/early 00s that EA's games were R150. Those were the days.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Default Here is why the prices of games and graphics cards in South Africa are insanely high

Tried to buy something on Amazon UK but the exchange rate they use is still at R21.50 to the pound and not R17.30 as in JSE. Makes a big difference on a 600'pound item

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Not even that long ago, I reckon. You could get a big-name PC game for R299 as recently as 2008.

Games that Microsoft published were always more expensive (Flight Simulator, of course, but also Dungeon Siege).

I also remember for a brief period in the 90s/early 00s that EA's games were R150. Those were the days.
    Geez Oupa Jan, that's almost a lifetime ago but yeah I remember getting a copy of SQ6 for about R150.

Just looking through my wishlist now and noticed Civ6 going for R800 (R899 on steam). That's ridiculous. Same price for Mafia 3 but at least that comes with a season pass. I'm sure Civ6 will have a million dlc's after release.

Surely this can't just be a result of the Rand's poor performance? Is customs perchance adding additional luxury tax onto games?

Out of interest I went back and looked at some of my past game orders to see how much game prices have changed, and this was by far the most shocking thing I saw:

07 Nov 2011 - Diablo III Collectors Edition (PC) - R 670.00
    26 Mar 2014 - Diablo III Reaper of Souls: Collector's Edition (PC) - R 999.00

It's shocking to think that I paid less for the full base game than I did for its expansion! Thankfully Legacy of the Void was R100 cheaper the following year (R899 for the CE) and Wings of Libery and Heart of the Swarm were both R699 in 2010 and 2013, respectively.

I think the other problem is that Collector's Editions used to cost around $100 which back in the day gave us their R700 price tag. Nowadays I'm seeing more and more CE prices starting closer to $150! Normal game prices have also increased significantly and now cost the same as what we used to pay for a CE a few years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post

I do remember paying ~R300 for Tomb Raider II back in '97, as well as that much for the Red Alert Commander's (I think) pack. Also what GTA went for. Pretty sure my brother also paid that for Half-Life in '98 or '99, but a little less for Opposing Force.

Quote Originally Posted by blaaislaai View Post
    Strange....I still see games for R99...I also see games being handed out for free (SHAMELESS PLUG TO MY THREAD!)
    Last edited by mottamort; 22-08-2016 at 11:15 PM.