Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Console or PC gaming - lots of questions, need answers

MyGaming Journalist

With regard to the PSU/GPU freezing issue, if you let us know the specifications of your current hardware I'm sure quite a few people around here will be able to help you out.

Might save you from having to get a new PSU if the problem lies somewhere else.

If you have the money to spend, an ITX gaming PC or gaming laptop would offer performance far superior to the Xbox One S.

Gaming laptops have a lot more longevity now, as you're able to get a desktop-class Pascal GPU and a decent processor in the mid-to-high range models.

Or, if you want to grab a console, it may be a good idea to wait for the PlayStation Neo, which will also be far more powerful than the Xbox One S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie McKane View Post
    With regard to the PSU/GPU freezing issue, if you let us know the specifications of your current hardware I'm sure quite a few people around here will be able to help you out.

Might save you from having to get a new PSU if the problem lies somewhere else.

If you have the money to spend, an ITX gaming PC or gaming laptop would offer performance far superior to the Xbox One S.

Gaming laptops have a lot more longevity now, as you're able to get a desktop-class Pascal GPU and a decent processor in the mid-to-high range models.

Or, if you want to grab a console, it may be a good idea to wait for the PlayStation Neo, which will also be far more powerful than the Xbox One S.

MSI Z77 MPOWER MOTHERBOARD
    INTEL I5-3570K 3.40GHZ S1155 RETAIL
    XFX Power Supply Core Edition - 650watts PSU
    MSI R7870 Hawk
    SSD+HD
    Sound card as well

Those are the main components. Everything was fine, bar the RAM issue I had had a month earlier, until I upgraded my card to the:

Sapphire Radeon 7970 TriXX

Then the freezing started. 90% of the time it was in games, very often in Fallout 4, less often in NBA2K16. It froze while running the futuremark tests as well. And I believe I checked temps and they seemed fine.

I unplugged a secondary HD and the DVD drive hoping if the freezing stopped it would prove it was the power, but the freezing didn't stop. Still, maybe there's still too much draw?

The higher end gaming is compelling for sure, but for right now I'm interested in EXPERIENCING the convenience of a console. As soon as I'm back I want to get playing NBA2K17 with my buddy and I think the console will make that experience very easy and comfortable.

The laptop arguments have been compelling though, it's definitely on my radar now for next year, although it does make me nervous to carry around something worth almost 30k.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzazzad View Post
    Or just give up on gaming and realize I'm a bloody adult.
    Buy a Gaming PC and pick up a Vive for VR after the holidays.

The only time you really need to "stop" gaming is when you have kids old enough to play games with.
    Then it's no longer gaming, it just good parenting. (all that quality time with the kids.)