Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: This is how insanely expensive R1,000 per game in South Africa is

  1. #1
    MyGaming Journalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Joburg
    Posts
    3,945

    Default This is how insanely expensive R1,000 per game in South Africa is

    This is how insanely expensive R1,000 per game in South Africa is

    When you take purchasing power into account, R1,000 for a video game looks plain ludicrous.

  2. #2

    Default

    By the power of maths! I bring you a sweet, sweet comparison.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  3. #3

    Default

    This is basically how I evaluate cost vs entertainment. Thanks, though a lot of people tend to disagree.

  4. #4

    Default

    Why is there such a disparity though?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Why is there such a disparity though?
    Look at the PP column in the games table. (The rest of the analysis I'd take with a wheelbarrow of salt tbh). That shows games are more expensive in SA after being PP adjusted.

    That is because you're importing something (meaning low local cost of living is irrelevant) and you're doing so from a country with low purchasing power. That not a games thing - its true for all imports. If you take a random iFruit device you'll see the same...they're roughly priced the same everywhere (like the games in the table before PP adjustment) but after factoring in that people in say the US earn a lot more its much more affordable.

    Or put differently...South Africans are paid poorly but don't notice because most of their expenses fall into the local low cost of living category. Only when they start importing iFruits and games then it becomes obvious.

    Unrelated - every single UK cinema I've seen has flat rate pricing & the once-off rate is sky-high purely to motivate people to get a flat rate monthly contract. (Takes round 2 movies a month to break even). So yeah...as a starting point for an analysis perhaps not the best Step 1 to use the fake once-off rate.
    Last edited by HavocXphere; 10-11-2016 at 02:34 AM.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Look at the PP column in the games table. (The rest of the analysis I'd take with a wheelbarrow of salt tbh). That shows games are more expensive in SA after being PP adjusted.

    That is because you're importing something (meaning low local cost of living is irrelevant) and you're doing so from a country with low purchasing power. That not a games thing - its true for all imports. If you take a random iFruit device you'll see the same...they're roughly priced the same everywhere (like the games in the table before PP adjustment) but after factoring in that people in say the US earn a lot more its much more affordable.

    Or put differently...South Africans are paid poorly but don't notice because most of their expenses fall into the local low cost of living category. Only when they start importing iFruits and games then it becomes obvious.

    Unrelated - every single UK cinema I've seen has flat rate pricing & the once-off rate is sky-high purely to motivate people to get a flat rate monthly contract. (Takes round 2 movies a month to break even). So yeah...as a starting point for an analysis perhaps not the best Step 1 to use the fake once-off rate.
    Excellent. Thanks for the good explanation HavocXphere.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Why is there such a disparity though?
    There are simple answers, and then there's the long answer which will be a combination of all the simple answers

    Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Or put differently...South Africans are paid poorly but don't notice because most of their expenses fall into the local low cost of living category. Only when they start importing iFruits and games then it becomes obvious.
    This is one of those simple answers.

    Another simple answer, which I may explore in a future article, is that the price of games have rocketed beyond inflation much faster than the price of movie tickets have.

    There could be a few reasons for this.

    To complicate this a little: consider the audiences of movies and video games. South Africa's movie audiences tend to be me more diverse (in terms of income level) than the base of gamers are. This comes down to simple economics - gaming is an expensive hobby that requires you earn a certain level of income to even afford a console or PC.

    Games therefore only have to be affordable enough for people in that income bracket to buy them. Not that the high price of games hasn't hurt the local industry, but not nearly as much as it would hurt the cinemas if Ster-Kinekor and Nu Metro were to start charging what their counterparts in the US and UK charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    So yeah...as a starting point for an analysis perhaps not the best Step 1 to use the fake once-off rate.
    Disagree completely. Read this for great insight into UK movie pricing: What’s the average cost of a cinema ticket?

    Each country has its own discount programmes, but according to Ster-Kinekor, people using monthly passes for movies in the UK are in the minority.

    If you don't believe SK, then check out the Odeon website regarding its "Limitless" programme. For 3D screenings, and "premium screenings or seat types" you pay extra.

    I could complicate the comparison and include the various discounts available at Ster-Kinekor through Edgars and Sanlam Reality, and I suspect the ultimate result would be the same.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  8. #8

    Default

    If you factor in the amount of hours you spend playing a Game and then compare it to the average movie length things get interesting.

  9. #9

    Default

    Thanks [MENTION=289]Jan[/MENTION]!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Or put differently...South Africans are paid poorly but don't notice because most of their expenses fall into the local low cost of living category. Only when they start importing iFruits and games then it becomes obvious.
    On that point though, we are still paying significantly more for Apple products than what other countries are paying. When I was in the UK prior to Brexit, I bought the iphone SE 64gb for around R8,000 which was significantly cheaper than the R10,499 I would have paid in South Africa (as a South African, you also get to take off the 20% VAT for the phone which essentially made it around R6,400). Right now the biggest iphone 7 in the UK will cost R13,317 vs the R16,999 you will pay here. Take off the VAT for fun and you have a R17,000 phone for R10,655. (just for fun, only the previous price is properly comparative).

Similar Threads

  1. Insanely expensive gaming PC hardware
    By Jamie McKane in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-09-2016, 05:55 PM
  2. Insanely powerful 4K gaming laptops you can buy in South Africa
    By RyanBrothwell in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2016, 06:01 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-08-2016, 11:11 PM
  4. South Africa's most powerful and expensive graphics cards
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-05-2014, 09:34 AM
  5. Epic (and expensive) gaming PCs built in South Africa
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •