Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD To Attack Performance Desktop Market With RYZEN

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    The only Ryzen build I have done was before the little update to fix the multi-threading bug. My feelings around Ryzen is still mixed. Did you find the same slightly offish performance in that it's fast when you don't expect it to be and oddly sluggish when you don't.
    My experience was not a pleasant one at first, In fact I hated it so much I sent back my personal Ryzen rig.
    Unfortunately the review was done during that period of constant bios updates, and fixes ect. I do have a friend running an 1800X and Msi Titanium and it's running really well now, but also had quite a few teething problems. I do mention it in the review as well.
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Anyone here running their Ryzen rig with a GeForce and if so do you own Wolfenstein: The New Order? I'm trying to determine if the abysmal performance I am getting in this game is because of my GPU or my CPU. For example this is what happens on my rig with the game running on low settings:

As you can see I get incredible FPS drops, whereas a friend of mine managed to play the game on his laptop with a 980M without any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Anyone here running their Ryzen rig with a GeForce and if so do you own Wolfenstein: The New Order? I'm trying to determine if the abysmal performance I am getting in this game is because of my GPU or my CPU. For example this is what happens on my rig with the game running on low settings:

As you can see I get incredible FPS drops, whereas a friend of mine managed to play the game on his laptop with a 980M without any issue.
    You are not alone in this, it happened to a few people at launch.

Have you disabled Vsync in game, and in Nvidia control panel? Are you running multiple monitors? (if you running multiple monitors, try unplugging them)

Double check that AA is disabled.

If you are running GeForce experience, disable it's 'optimisations' because they normally suck.

Load into a level, open up the console (ctrl + ~) and type: jobs_numthreads 1

Rename the WolfNewOrder_x64 exe to WolfNewOrder_x32

Quote Originally Posted by Glordit View Post
    You are not alone in this, it happened to a few people at launch.

Have you disabled Vsync in game, and in Nvidia control panel? Are you running multiple monitors? (if you running multiple monitors, try unplugging them)

Double check that AA is disabled.

If you are running GeForce experience, disable it's 'optimisations' because they normally suck.

Load into a level, open up the console (ctrl + ~) and type: jobs_numthreads 1

Rename the WolfNewOrder_x64 exe to WolfNewOrder_x32
    Sorry, I meant I wanted to know if people with GeForce cards have this issue as well because I am currently running a Fury X and the above was recorded on my new Ryzen system while running the game at 1080p on low settings!

I think I did try those fixes but they didn't help. There are sections of the first level where the FPS seems fine but then I will get FPS drops in other places which are immensely noticeable, distracting and/ or jarring

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Sorry, I meant I wanted to know if people with GeForce cards have this issue as well because I am currently running a Fury X and the above was recorded on my new Ryzen system while running the game at 1080p on low settings!

I think I did try those fixes but they didn't help. There are sections of the first level where the FPS seems fine but then I will get FPS drops in other places which are immensely noticeable, distracting and/ or jarring
    I do know the game is/was frame locked to 60fps, due to it running ID Tech 5. Performance was also hit and miss across a massive range of systems. Also because of this, it uses the mega-texture system, which sadly is plagued with problems. Most likely whey ID Tech 6 was created.

Sadly the only other thing I can think of is using task manager to set the new order to run on "High" priority.

So I found this the other day:

I can confirm that $*** RAM does have a massive effect on Ryzen. Currently I am limited to a value module while I wait on an RMA process but the drop from ±120 FPS in Dota 2 to ±90 spoke volumes of how RAM speeds affect Ryzen. The video above pleases me because I plan to get the same RAM he used in his tests, albeit a 2 x 16Gb kit, and at 3200MHz the performance gap between Ryzen and the 7700K narrows to within margin of error for most of the games he tested. In some games the Ryzen 7 even eclipsed the i7!

So, very exciting times ahead. Especially as BIOSes mature and more games get optimisation updates for Ryzen.

Morning all

Got my upgrade done late last week (serious shout out of Thanks! to Rune and Jonathan at [MENTION=12410]Rebel Tech[/MENTION] who sorted me out very quickly, and of course to [MENTION=21]The Joker[/MENTION] who gave me a ton of advice and support along the way.)

Unfortunately didn't have a huge amount of time on the weekend to check things out - hope you all did the right thing and lavished the Mothers in your life with heaps of love and appreciation too!

Having a look around this morning though and just one odd thing that I see: the Ryzen 7 1700 that was installed is being identified by the ASUS board as a Ryzen 7 1800X. Initially I though it may be a BIOS issue as the install was using the previous BIOS version, but updating it to the latest version has not made a difference. Searched online for a long while, but can't find any other mention of the same issue.

Name:  r1.PNG
Views: 75
Size:  27.3 KB Name:  r2.PNG
Views: 73
Size:  16.9 KB

What's worrying me is the clock speed difference between the 1800X and the 1700. CPU-Z shows the core at over 3800Mhz (3.8GHz), but the 1700 officially has a base clock speed of only 3GHz, and a max turbo core speed of 3.7GHz (not that I know how to activate Turbo settings yet...)

I'm no expert, but I don't think running the CPU at over it's highest rated clock speed from day 1 is going to keep it running for it's expected life. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Or am I being overly concerned? Spent a fair bit of money on this upgrade, and really don't want to screw it up in the first week just because the CPU is being misidentified.
    Last edited by GregRedd; 15-05-2017 at 01:15 PM.

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

What do you see if you run AMD Ryzen Master? I know the latest version, with the latest AGESA BIOS update applied to my board now shows the correct temperature for me without a 20°C offset:

Name:  ryzen.PNG
Views: 77
Size:  212.5 KB

Still very strange that your 1700 is being reported as an 1800X.
    Last edited by Xiphan; 15-05-2017 at 01:30 PM.

As lame as this sound how Sure are you that its not a 1800x, have you seen the CPU ? perhaps a mistake was made ?