Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD To Attack Performance Desktop Market With RYZEN

Quote Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
    Boom AMD hits Intel with hard right punch ,it feels like its been a while since they made these types of substantial waves waiting for some decent benchmarks to start flowing in, i'm relatively excited about what this is going to cause in the long run.
    Price war and dirty tricks from Intel, I would imagine. Pity this cannot be considered anti-competitive behaviour worthy of a good suing.

I'm more interested in seeing what the A-series, R3, and R5 chips can do when they eventually come out.
    =|This space for rent|=

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Price war and dirty tricks from Intel, I would imagine. Pity this cannot be considered anti-competitive behaviour worthy of a good suing.

I'm more interested in seeing what the A-series, R3, and R5 chips can do when they eventually come out.
    They dropped the R from the names. Just 3 series and 5 series now. Most gamers will probably be looking at the 5 series, so we still have to wait a while for more AMD announcements. Even the cheapest 7 1700 costs i7 money. Not to mention Vega needs announcing too.

So we still need loads more info and product announcements. All the 7 series does for most people is instill a great deal of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKrush View Post
    They dropped the R from the names. Just 3 series and 5 series now. Most gamers will probably be looking at the 5 series, so we still have to wait a while for more AMD announcements. Even the cheapest 7 1700 costs i7 money. Not to mention Vega needs announcing too.

So we still need loads more info and product announcements. All the 7 series does for most people is instill a great deal of hope.
    Thanks for the update.

True - and independent benchmarking results for the 7 series have not even been released. Still an embargo on those.
    Motherboard-wise what would you pick if you were getting a Ryzen CPU? I'd be likely to pick a B350. Don't need all of the bells and whistles.
    =|This space for rent|=

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Thanks for the update.

True - and independent benchmarking results for the 7 series have not even been released. Still an embargo on those.
    Motherboard-wise what would you pick if you were getting a Ryzen CPU? I'd be likely to pick a B350. Don't need all of the bells and whistles.
    Almost certainly B350 too. Don't intend to overclock and I'll probably go AMD with my next graphics cards, and B350 supports Crossfire. It doesn't support SLI if you weren't aware.

SLI/CrossFire compatibility have never been an issue for me. One graphics card is pricey enough!
    =|This space for rent|=

Almost certainly B350 too. Don't intend to overclock and I'll probably go AMD with my next graphics cards, and B350 supports Crossfire. It doesn't support SLI if you weren't aware.
    You could actually OC on a B350 board, well at the least you could bump up the RAM speeds if your sticks are fast enough. Seen some overclocker's stating 3200Mhz is not the limit.

SLI support needs to be paid for. Otherwise Nvidia won't allow it to be used. Additionally it won't work on 16x/4x ports, it needs at minimum 8x/8x. SLI/X-Fire is finiky at best, specially with newer titles. It takes a while for drivers to release that can give you a stanble FPS as well as little to no crashing, or acutal SLI/X-Fire support. You are better of spending the money you would have used for multiple cards on a singular one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glordit View Post
    You could actually OC on a B350 board, well at the least you could bump up the RAM speeds if your sticks are fast enough. Seen some overclocker's stating 3200Mhz is not the limit.

SLI support needs to be paid for. Otherwise Nvidia won't allow it to be used. Additionally it won't work on 16x/4x ports, it needs at minimum 8x/8x. SLI/X-Fire is finiky at best, specially with newer titles. It takes a while for drivers to release that can give you a stanble FPS as well as little to no crashing, or acutal SLI/X-Fire support. You are better of spending the money you would have used for multiple cards on a singular one.
    I have an HD7990, which is basically 2x HD7970. Can't recall ever having a problem with a game. Performance of modern titles like GTA V, Witcher 3, Doom and Fallout 4 (with mods) is excellent, seldom or never dipping below 60fps at 1080p with max settings (minus Nvidia specific stuff or excessive anti-aliasing).

I have read from one of the overclocking sources for the Ryzen 7 chips that the motherboard makes a massive difference for overclocking. They said they only had great success with the Asus Crosshair VI Hero. But we'll only really know such things once reviewers have had a go at the chips.

I have read from one of the overclocking sources for the Ryzen 7 chips that the motherboard makes a massive difference for overclocking. They said they only had great success with the Asus Crosshair VI Hero. But we'll only really know such things once reviewers have had a go at the chips.
    Correct, CPU overclocking relies heavily on the type of motherboards. As far as I know, the X-series will support the X-seiries CPU's "boosting" (eXtended frequency range is a mouthful so I just call it boosting) and will be able to overclock any other Ryzen CPU. Otherwise you are limited to RAM overclocking on cerain B-series, and A-series will be the basic of the basic.

I am not too concerned about Overclocking myself, I'll just stick to a non-X variant possibly a R5 1500, perhaps even a R7 but I want to see what VEGA is going to be like.

*EDIT*
    Apologies I need to explain this better, since it can be confusing, and I somewhat worded my previous response badly.

• XFR can push clock speeds past the base boost speed. Automatically, which is dependant on cooling. Regardless of Motherboard.
    • X-Series motherboards allow overclocking on All Ryzen CPU's, B-Series only RAM(see below) and A-series not at all.
    • Overclocking on a X-series motherboard with a X-series CPU will allow you to push past the XFR frequency.
    • For example: A 1800X has a base of 3.6Ghz | Boost/Turbo of 4.0Ghz | XFR will automatically take it past 4.0Ghz. Or you can manually push past the 3.6Ghz base and XFR will boost it further.

• X370/X300/B350 Chipsets will allow Overclocking. We will have to wait until the 2nd to see what Overclocking options there are on non X-series motherboards. So far it looks like B350 allows RAM overclocking, but until some one actually can check the BIOS, all I can do is guess.

In theory then at a Base clock of 4.0Ghz, XFR can take it to 4.5Ghz+

I recall, 5Ghz seems being the limit on LN2, but that's 5Ghz on eight cores. I also would like to see if Ryzen benefits more from Faster RAM speeds or lower CAS latency.

*EDIT2*
    Wait for reviews on products, that way we will get the best understanding of how everything works.
    Last edited by Glordit; 26-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.

=|This space for rent|=