Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Running PC with bent CPU socket pins: what are the consequences?

Default Running PC with bent CPU socket pins: what are the consequences?

Thanks to a number of bent pins in my CPU socket, I have been running my RAM in single channel mode for a good while now. Do any of you know whether running my machine this way will damage components, or otherwise lead to instability? How great is the difference in system performance running in single rather than dual channel mode, especially with respect to gaming?

In case it matters, my motherboard is an AsRock Z77 Extreme 4.

A friend of mine has advised me to look for a second-hand Z77 board as a back-up, but I would rather not have to incur
    the additional cost of a Windows license [Linux is not yet a practical gaming environment for me. Performance (Vulkan may rectify this eventually) and availability of a Linux-native version of a given game are still dissuading me from making the switch.]

I don't ride on the bleeding edge of computer hardware, and have no reservations about lowering graphics settings [GTX 960 on an old 1080p LCD display, so I would prefer to keep what I have now for as long as I can, so I wouldn't be turning this into an excuse to pilfer my savings.

What do you think?

Thanks
    =|This space for rent|=

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Thanks to a number of bent pins in my CPU socket, I have been running my RAM in single channel mode for a good while now. Do any of you know whether running my machine this way will damage components, or otherwise lead to instability? How great is the difference in system performance running in single rather than dual channel mode, especially with respect to gaming?

In case it matters, my motherboard is an AsRock Z77 Extreme 4.

A friend of mine has advised me to look for a second-hand Z77 board as a back-up, but I would rather not have to incur
    the additional cost of a Windows license [Linux is not yet a practical gaming environment for me. Performance (Vulkan may rectify this eventually) and availability of a Linux-native version of a given game are still dissuading me from making the switch.]

I don't ride on the bleeding edge of computer hardware, and have no reservations about lowering graphics settings [GTX 960 on an old 1080p LCD display, so I would prefer to keep what I have now for as long as I can, so I wouldn't be turning this into an excuse to pilfer my savings.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Buy a new MB.
    but I would rather not have to incur the additional cost of a Windows license
    You call MS, you tell them you bought a new MB, they'll ask for some confirmation details. Boom, no issues.

Well.....new second hand. Getting an H or Z97/170 opens up a whole new can of worms thanks to Intel and their sockets.
    =|This space for rent|=

The alternative is a little bit of this

Name:  220px-Tweezers.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  3.0 KB

and a whole heap of this

Name:  prayer-clipart-y4c9A7BTE.gif
Views: 94
Size:  5.3 KB

Personally, I think you should just do what the fish said.
    One day, I'll grow up and become responsible.
    Probably not today.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Well.....new second hand. Getting an H or Z97/170 opens up a whole new can of worms thanks to Intel and their sockets.
    LGA1155, your options is second hand or third hand

If it is a non K version, and the CPU looks in good condition then there really is not much that can and has gone wrong with the CPU. So buying second hand whilst applying common sense won't be a bad idea

how did u get it right to bend the pins on the mobo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dohc-WP View Post
    how did u get it right to bend the pins on the mobo ?
    I have learnt not to ask questions as these are ZIF sockets and bending a pin requires some insertion force

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    I have learnt not to ask questions as these are ZIF sockets and bending a pin requires some insertion force
    Just curious with amd cpu's its understandable as the pins are on the processor, but on LGA boards i have never been able to do that even after inserting and taking out cpu's numerous times (and that includes 771 xeon cpu's that were modified to work on 775 boards), thats why i just wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohc-WP View Post
    Just curious with amd cpu's its understandable as the pins are on the processor, but on LGA boards i have never been able to do that even after inserting and taking out cpu's numerous times (and that includes 771 xeon cpu's that were modified to work on 775 boards), thats why i just wanted to know.
    Hey, we could go back to SECC CPUs like what we had with the PIII

Name:  800px-Slot_1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  79.0 KB
    Name:  Intel_Pentium_III_733_MHz.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  256.5 KB