Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Threadkiller - Got the last word in.
    Trophies MyGaming Champion Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by qornea View Post
    I'm just going to interject with my thoughts on the game (sorry to distract from the multiplayer conversation happening above).

I'm a massive ME fan (as in Mass Effect, and also me), so obviously I was going to get this no matter what the reviews said. The ME fan base can be really aggro (coughMassEffect3Endingcough) so I knew that initial reaction was going to be polarised. I've been playing for about 35 hours now, and have some thoughts...

1. This is absolutely Dragon Age Inquisition in spaaaaaaaace. That is not a complaint - I love it. Open world exploration is great, and the Nomad is fun. It can be a bit cookie-cutter in places, to be honest. But at least there's a lot to do.

2. The missions are a good change. DA:I's fetch quests were ill-explained and poorly integrated - like you were constantly catching whiffs of someone else's story and didn't really have a role. ME:A does a good job of even making the basic 'fetch this, scan that' quests feel like they're part of the Pathfinder's job.

3. Combat is great, though weirdly more akin to Mass Effect 1 than its sequels. I admit I miss the 'rigidity' of ME2 and ME3's cover-based shooting, but I have fully embraced my jetpack. I don't usually play melee, but MEA's combat has made it a really good style for me. Cover-based system of old gave 'rooted' spots to shoot from, ME:A combat encourages movement and different tactics.

4. The facial animations are bad - to the point of distraction. Soz. They just are. I try to look past it to enjoy the narrative itself, but I've not seen a character that does not look like a botched botox victim. They are all dead inside. JUST LOOK AT THEIR COLD, DEAD, EYES. The aliens look better than humans, but worse than their ME:OT counterparts, which is mind-boggling tbh. (ProTip: turn on subtitles, and you can draw your eyes to read the text instead of focusing on the animations - it really helps, promise.)

5. The other animations are solid. The worlds are pretty! And aside from some janky character movements now and then, it's actually pretty good and fluid. I haven't seen any jarring animation flaws (but they are there, many people have seen them).

6. The 'morality' is...a mix. I'm not a huge fan of binary morality (Paragon/Renegade), so doing away with the system was a good thing in my books. But the game goes and boils my choices to a binary option anyway, and now 'going with the flow', my Ryder seems kind of schitzo. Here's a spoilerific example.

Spoiler: show
    When you uncover the truth behind "exaltation", Jaal wants to save his Angaran bros, while Cora (who I took along) insists we go after the Moshae - the reason we are there. I agree with Cora, Jaal seems unhappy. Later, we rescue the Moshae, and I'm given another choice - blow up the lab (and all the captured Angara with it), or let the lab stand and the Angara escape. My previous choice to stay on mission would obviously align with blow the lab - but the bargain allows me to save the Moshae AND the people, so I chose to let the lab stay. Jaal was happy, Moshae was not - and even though I killed the head honcho, she was all bitchy about it.

That was just all just silly to me. I get there need to be stakes and we need to choose how we go about things, but it feels a little bit incoherent sometimes. A binary choice, even if not labelled "good" and "bad" is still a binary choice...with "good" and "bad" outcomes. I'm guessing I will still see what the effects of my choices are at the end of the game where the "good" choices and the "bad" choices will become apparent. Still, it's nice to have that 'fear of choice' thing going on.

7. I like the story, and how it fits in to the bigger picture. I'm glad the series isn't carrying the baggage of the OT, and has a few subtle throwbacks and links. I'm torn on Andromeda itself, because, like many, I was expecting a lot more diversity - but I can't complain too much because there's really no reason why the rules that govern the Milky Way (ito physics etc) shouldn't apply in Andromeda. They are, after all, considered to be universal.

I would have preferred if things were a bit more *alien* though. I wanted to see more weird creatures like the Hanar or the Volus or the Elchor - not just two new bipedal alien races; one of which is basically
    Spoiler: show
    The Collectors
    and another that has a society that's "different but the same".

8. Digging the characters. I like the 'fresh' Ryder clan - not established, out to prove themselves. Squad mates are hit and miss - Cora isn't my cup of tea, and Liam is such a dud. I gravitate more to Vetra, Drack and Peebee - while Jaal is a nice addition (but again, not as *alien* as I would have liked). NPC cast is also really good, especially the Nexus 'leaders', all playing them politics.

9. It's...too quiet. Seriously, I really miss the 'Mass Effect-y" soundtrack playing, especially on the Nexus, and during some more dramatic scenes. The ambiance is there, but needs to be...more, in my opinion.

10. The UI is a mess. Research and crafting is weird. And travelling between planets is...ok. A bit sluggish for my tastes.

Overall, ME:A is a good game - it's even a good Mass Effect game. People have been very critical, with good reason (especially the animations), but as a whole, it's solidly one of my favourites. It could have probably done with another year of development, assuming the team was ever able to iron out the kinks, but I hope they do continue with the series and build on it.

I'm looking forward to finishing my Dragon Age: Andromeda experience!
    I have to agree with you on all the points, I also enabled the subtitles and it does make it easier. But overall I love the game, I havent found any game breaking bugs, I just have to stop my wandering, aka killing myself because I keep going to areas with high radiation killing me and the nomad! Its fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Really not a big fan of the UI. It feels like i'm browsing directories on someone else PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Really not a big fan of the UI. It feels like i'm browsing directories on someone else PC.
    hahaha..... this made me lol so hard. But man, why did you have to mention this, now my view is tainted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Threadkiller - Got the last word in.

I have finally moved on from Eos and have discovered the pretty people and the VERY cold planet. I can sy myself dying a lot here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I think I'll just inject my thoughts in-between qornea's template.

1. This is absolutely Dragon Age Inquisition in spaaaaaaaace ...
    3. Combat is great ...
    Personally, I preferred the way the previous Mass Effects played. I feel kinda disconnected from my squad since I can't really give proper input on what actions they perform during combat. I now also can't use all my powers... if they just added another slot for a power it would have been great. Dammit, I know it isn't professional, but I miss my freeze button .
    Overall though, the game is great so it is just little personal preferences here and there.

4. The facial animations are bad ...
    I did notice this, but to be honest... The graphics and animations of Mass Effect games have never really been groundbreaking (or even close to it)... although ME3's was quite good I think. It is one of the few games where story takes such a high priority for me, that most other things are forgivable.
    This game though, except maybe for the facial animations, is quite pretty. I started the game on a Ultra HD TV... It's pretty. I had to go back to my mouse and keyboard (in front of the 32" screen) though when they started shooting at me. My shooting abilities on controller still suck.

7. I like the story ...
    Also like the story. Just hope that there are some more of the other alien races from previous ME games coming up too. Would be nice to not be so "alone" in the universe.

10. The UI is a mess ...
    This is probably my only real issue with the game. I think Apollo said it best (and accurately):

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post

------

I haven't tried multiplayer yet but based on my single player campaign, I get the feeling that I'm going to suck at it. Will maybe give it a try over the weekend.

No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

My take on the gAmerican is that it's typical me. Story good, combat is ok.

Haven'the noticed the animations much personally.

One that is annoying is the game seems to lose connection to the server after using the strike terminal. Have to exit and restart after. Major pain.

Game isn'the demanding on the system at all.

Quests are OK except for the random finding Quests.. would prefer FedEx to them

I give the game an 8/10

I have only finished eos and havarl btw. Just landed on voedld.
    Last edited by Stefan9; 30-03-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

If all goes well my pc will be fixed later today. (I really really hope so)

Would anyone like to join up for some multiplayer this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Nobody up for some multiplayer? Not tonight but sometime this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate.

oh look Greenman has a special 44$, too bad its today after the Rand is in its [email protected]#! you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Nobody up for some multiplayer? Not tonight but sometime this weekend?
    I would but I dont think I have it unlocked yet