Thread: Are you afraid when you play games against other people?

Default Are you afraid when you play games against other people?

I'm curious if some of you guys also get this "butterfly" feeling; the feeling you get before talking in front of a crowd, etc.

If I play a game online, something more "intimate" than Call of Duty or Battlefield, like Hearthstone. I also felt this way during a 1v1 PVP in World of Warcraft and even Arena. A game where I know I'm playing against another person but it's not cluster-fucky like the aforementioned FPS games.

Fear is perhaps too strong of a word; the feeling leaves me not wanting to play the game at that point in time even though I know it should be fun.

I'm not sure why, so I'm wondering if you guys also get this way when playing against other people.
    Also, what do you think causes it? It it just the idea of competition and not wanting to lose, so it is actually a bit of Adrenalin coursing through you causing to feel that cold feeling?

Feel the same, having only tried some Starcraft 2 and Company of Heroes online, it does bring out the nerves but also think it's also the excitement of playing against another human being. We are all competitive in nature and want to do well.

In the StarCraft scene it's a common phenomenon, especially when playing on the ladder ("ladder anxiety")
    http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft...g_with_anxiety

I don't suffer from it in any other games except StarCraft 1/2 and it's probably because it really sucks to lose in RTS games and you have noone to blame but yourself if you're playing 1on1. Only way out of it is to rack up a good amount of games so you actually get better and master the game somewhat.

Yeah - one of the reasons I stay clear of "competitive" games. Now mostly play stuff like TF2 where one can drop in & drop out at will.

Used to play a lot of CoD4 S&D...end result is often that you're the only one left & entire team is watching you. Better not screw up...

>Also, what do you think causes it?

Emotional attachment to the outcome.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post

Fear is perhaps too strong of a word; the feeling leaves me not wanting to play the game at that point in time even though I know it should be fun.
    You mean anxiety? Yep I get that sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PythonFSi View Post
    You mean anxiety? Yep I get that sometimes.
    Yeah that's the word. Palms are sweaty, knees are heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    Yeah that's the word. Palms are sweaty, knees are heavy.
    Mom's spaghetti....

I don't really feel this when i know I'm going to be play against people. But I do play a bit of Titanfall 2 and Rainbow 6 Siege, and I only notice I get that feeling when I realise I'm at the top of the leaderboards or on a roll. But by that point I start slipping and end the round in midfield.

which is why you will never find me at expos playing games in front of crowds and why i dont like playing with teamspeak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Hello WinzEveryDayz.

It's probably why I mostly stick to single player and when I play multiplayer it's normally co-op.