Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Default rAge Cape Town announces cancellation of 2017 event

Just one of those things I guess . . .

It is with regret that the organisers of the really Awesome gaming expo (rAge) have announced today that the show’s Cape Town leg – due to take place from 27 to 29 April – has been cancelled.

According to Michael James, Owner and Senior Project Manager of rAge, “While I was happy with the high level of enthusiasm and excitement with which rAge Cape Town was received in 2016 and was committed to hosting an even better show this year, the reality is that financial and logistical concerns mean that we cannot in good conscience run a rAge event in the Cape that could potentially disappoint our valued gaming community.”

James continued, “Last year we said that our intention was to improve rAge Cape Town with more games, new technology, and cool things to see, buy and do. Some visitors felt these areas were somewhat lacking in 2016. After much hard work over the last four months we’ve come to a point where there isn’t sufficient financial support and commitment towards the event to make this a reality. In addition, while we’ve been fighting hard behind the scenes to solve unforeseen technical issues in hosting a bigger and better NAG LAN in Cape Town, we’ve hit a brick wall where the only way to make a LAN possible would be with a significant cash investment. We do know that people have been eagerly asking us on social media about the LAN – a clear indication that this is an integral part of the rAge experience. Without a significantly improved LAN offering and other important elements such as eSports and playable code for unreleased games, we don’t feel confident that rAge Cape Town would deliver the awesome show we always strive to put on for our visitors and exhibitors.

“Based on where we are now, making this year’s rAge Cape Town experience as good as Johannesburg, complete with all the elements the expo needs to make it a true rAge experience, isn’t something we can feasibly deliver. We could host something, but not something of the outstanding quality our visitors deserve. The goal was never to make the event bigger than Johannesburg, but to at least match it in overall quality. Not doing an amazing event damages the brand and the community’s belief and trust in our ability to give them the very best experience possible. There are many amazing and daring companies that have committed to Cape Town (and we thank them for their support), but not enough to make a difference.

“Having said that, there are other events happening in Cape Town this year that are also showcasing gaming, technology and other geek stuff, so I appeal to you to support them. Doing so ensures that they and the entire gaming sector will continue to grow and thrive. We’re really sorry we can’t do rAge in Cape Town at this stage. Please also note that you can get a full refund from Computicket if you’ve already bought tickets.”

rAge Johannesburg will take place 6-8 October 2017 at the Ticketpro Dome.
    http://www.rageexpo.co.za/2017/03/ra...of-2017-event/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

...we cannot in good conscience run a rAge event in the Cape that could potentially disappoint our valued gaming community...
    Reads as, JHB is disappointing enough

...financial and logistical concerns...
    We don't have the money and we're not willing to spend that much more as is evident by :

...isn’t sufficient financial support...
    ...significant cash investment...
    So to sum up, it will cost more money than they are willing to spend. Sadly rAge seems to have become more about milking the gaming community as a whole than anything else. Dealing with the right technical role players in CPT could have quite easily overcome any and all "unforeseen technical issues"

I could be dead wrong, but this comes across as a veiled "we won't be making enough money hosting this event" excuse as opposed to anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

the one last year wasnt very good in cpt, probably spent and hour there max then we decided to leave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dohc-WP View Post
    the one last year wasnt very good in cpt, probably spent and hour there max then we decided to leave.
    Ok, so basically because they organised a sub-par event last year they didn't make enough money and now its too expensive to try again.
    T A N S T A A F L

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    Ok, so basically because they organised a sub-par event last year they didn't make enough money and now its too expensive to try again.
    Thats how i feel about it, they started small to test and didn't do well, but what do you expect if you don't have anything there to keep people entertained for longer periods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

it's sad I have been to 14 rAge events and each year nothing new happened out of the 14 years I could say I enjoyed 4 of them.

Don't think I will attend this year rAge one I had a bad thing happen last year and two might not be in RSA that time of the year.

On a side note, i don't think to host an event like this is cheap the venue for one must cost alot, Even sponsors and stall rental space costs a lot so many companies don't want to go to the expo. So fewer stalls = fewer people = no money for anyone. its sad but an event like this is needed for all the nerds but it could become so much bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

The biggest issue I have with rAge (I have attended 5 in JHB and the 1 in CPT) is that you don't see anything you can't see on YouTube or IGN. There is nothing NEW, it's just rehashed crud. Couple of specifics, BT Games will announce that they will be running MASSIVE SPECIALS during the course of the event. If discounting a R599 XBOX title to R499 is MASSIVE that is. Some of the stalls offer NOTHING discounted from what they offer in their retail stores. T-Shirts and Hoodies tend to be par for the course. Some ok giveaways.

rAge is awesome for someone that has an interest in gaming, but has ZERO access to the internet. Please quote me on this after rAge this year:

You will see demos or will be able to play with Dirt 4, Metal Gear Survive and Gran Turismo Sport providing that they have been released already.

Probably no Oculus Rift in sight, but you will have two stalls trying to show off the HTC Vive.

Some local devs will have something 90% done on display.

Hardware floggers will have impressive stalls, but will not have Coffe Lake or Cannonlake demo kit to even check out. Lots of Kaby Lake and Ryzen setups.

The Telkom stall will try to sell you LTE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post

The Telkom stall will try to sell you LTE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

the only games i can recall they had on display was Fifa 16, the division, Forza 6, and they had mkx on some of the ps4's the big problem is 90% of those games were already out for a few months, there where no demo or beta's of new and anticipated upcoming titles, no oculus, bT games had shitty specials as always, the novelty stands with the braided beads and other stuff where more interesting than the game related stands, the only worthwhile tech related display was the 3d printer demos there.

even the big do gaming competition they had there was pretty stale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dohc-WP View Post
    the only games i can recall they had on display was Fifa 16, the division, Forza 6, and they had mkx on some of the ps4's the big problem is 90% of those games were already out for a few months, there where no demo or beta's of new and anticipated upcoming titles
    You mean 100% of the titles on display have been released already. The only stuff I've see that was not out was "Viscera Cleanup Detail" back in 2014/2015 and Toxic Bunny HD, but the release date coincided with rAge, so technically it was available to the public.

Every unreleased thing you'll see is the a video from (and available on YouTube or similar sites) E3, UK Games Expo, SXSW or Gamescon.

Think back to rAge 2016 (CPT or JHB), what Mass Effect Andromeda stuff did you see?