Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Default Star Wars Battlefront 2

So this weekend was Star Wars Celebration and with it, a lot of information came out on the new Star Wars Battlefront 2. So for those of you who haven't heard the news, the game will a singleplayer campaign focusing on an elite group of stormtroopers following the destruction of the second Death Star above Endor. The story seems that it will explain some of the events and battles that happened up to and including The Force Awakens (perhaps even after that). The single player story has been written by Walt Williams, who is known for writing the story for Spec Ops: the Line.

The game has been developed by three studios, with Dice handling the multiplayer, Criterion handling vehicle design and space battles and Motive focusing on the narrative/single player.

On that note, the big additions to the game from the first iteration are space battles, all the saga eras (Clone Wars, Empire and First Order eras), class based infantry, which can be upgraded individually, as well as upgrades and what seems to be ability unlocks for heroes, and split screen co-op for consoles. Heroes confirmed so far include Darth Maul, Rey, Yoda, Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker. Players will also be able to customise their troopers to a much greater extent in comparison to what was available in the first game.

The developers also mentioned in their panel that there won't be a Season Pass and dlc that fragments the community through limiting maps to dlc purchases. They have stated that they want to replace it with something better to keep you invested in the game for longer. However, EA came out shortly after that statement to say something along the lines of "there being no season pass has not been confirmed" which seems to indicate the developers wanting to do what's best for the game and EA wanting to do what's best for their profit margin.

One thing pointed out by Angry Joe is the use of the word "epic" when describing the ability upgrades unlocked for heroes when the game is pre-ordered. He suggested that this may indicate that the game will have crate boxes similar to what is seen in Overwatch as a replacement for a season pass. All of this is pure speculation at this point.

The game will be available on November 17, or November 14 if you get the deluxe edition. The price for the normal edition on pc is R999.95 and R1,099.95 for the deluxe edition.

Also, here is the trailer:

So what are your thoughts on this? One big factor from a South African perspective will be whether we get South African servers this time. Battlefield 1 got them a few months after the games release, but I guess question marks remain as to how big the South African Battlefront community. Playing in Europe was definitely possible, but there were clear disadvantages to the games reaction to your actions which seemed to vary based on the server joined. In some games I could have decent gun battles with opponents, while other times I would be dead from an enemy just as he was appearing on my screen. (and then if you watched a gameplay or stream of how it was meant to be online, it can be a bit depressing).

It appears EA listened to some of the biggest outcry's from the first game, cherry picked them and proceeded to add them to BF II.

He suggested that this may indicate that the game will have crate boxes similar to what is seen in Overwatch as a replacement for a season pass. All of this is pure speculation at this point.
    Ironically, saying there are no plans for a season pass, does not mean NO SEASON PASS. It means that one can easily be made at a later date, under the guise of DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Glordit View Post
    Ironically, saying there are no plans for a season pass, does not mean NO SEASON PASS. It means that one can easily be made at a later date, under the guise of DLC.
    But at least we should be able to count on no season pass that fragments the player base. What could happen is we could have dlc which unlocks different types of troopers or abilities which could be used in games with players who didn't buy the dlc.

Comment from developer's at celebration:
    We don't have a season pass…When we looked at the way Battlefront had evolved over its lifetime, with the DLC and everything, we decided, 'You know what? For this type of game, season passes are not the best thing. We need to [take it apart] and come up with something better.
    Comment from EA following developer's comments:
    While we’re not ready to confirm any live service plans just yet, what we can say is this we heard the feedback from our Battlefront community loud and clear. We know they want more depth, more progression, and more content. So we’re focused on delivering that in every dimension of Star Wars Battlefront II. We’ll have more to share about our plans soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Saulan View Post
    But at least we should be able to count on no season pass that fragments the player base. What could happen is we could have dlc which unlocks different types of troopers or abilities which could be used in games with players who didn't buy the dlc.
    Different types of abilities would break the game is they where too powerful. Then no one would by them if they gave no tactical advantage, so it's probably going to be some kind of case/box/crate system.

Sorry but I have no hopes for BF II, first one was just flashy and did not have any of the charm the originals had. The SP campaign is just to draw in more money, as opposed to having Galactic Conquest mode mixed with an instant action game which could have co-op. Wait. Co-op is console only...

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but this is one damn fine looking game.

Star Wars Battlefront was great game, so beautiful, but after playing the beta I didn't feel like I needed to buy the full game. It felt like a tech demo.

Battlefront 2 looks like they flushing out the game a bit more but the problem is the Star Wars Universe is about individuals and their stories, that's why Knight of the old Republic and Jedi Academy stood out.

Battlefront 2 looks like it could be more fun than the first, I like the droid army is included now. No Jar Jar Binks Hero though.

So the beta for this started yesterday. Anyone else playing it? I jumped in today and got a couple of rounds in, guns feel different and the bullets are a lot faster so dodging with lag isn't making the game as impossible to play with SA lag. Only thing is there is a huge delay in actually finding a game, and when you do it's usually empty. Seems to be the European servers as American twitch streamers seem to be fine. Hopefully when the beta opens up tomorrow it will be more populated.

Edit: I'm actually suspecting we may have SA servers on this beta, which would explain why it's so dead at the moment. Saw a number of South African names in the game I got in, but didn't bother to ask where anyone was from, and then in the lobby I was waiting in, I started chatting to someone else sitting with me and they were also South African. Very interested now for when the beta opens to see if it's only Saffers in game.
    Last edited by Saulan; 05-10-2017 at 11:40 PM.

So the beta for this started yesterday. Anyone else playing it? I jumped in today and got a couple of rounds in, guns feel different and the bullets are a lot faster so dodging with lag isn't making the game as impossible to play with SA lag. Only thing is there is a huge delay in actually finding a game, and when you do it's usually empty. Seems to be the European servers as American twitch streamers seem to be fine. Hopefully when the beta opens up tomorrow it will be more populated.

Edit: I'm actually suspecting we may have SA servers on this beta, which would explain why it's so dead at the moment. Saw a number of South African names in the game I got in, but didn't bother to ask where anyone was from, and then in the lobby I was waiting in, I started chatting to someone else sitting with me and they were also South African. Very interested now for when the beta opens to see if it's only Saffers in game.
    Do you know when Origin Access member can get a hold of the beta? I know pre-orders got a few extra days. But today is an open beta for all right? Anyway I'll check when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gforced View Post
    Do you know when Origin Access member can get a hold of the beta? I know pre-orders got a few extra days. But today is an open beta for all right? Anyway I'll check when I get home.
    Yea, open beta begins today.

Yea, open beta begins today.
    you playing on pc? if so I'll see you on the battlegroundfront.