Thread: AMD unveils powerful new Radeon Pro Duo graphics card

MyGaming Journalist

Default AMD unveils powerful new Radeon Pro Duo graphics card

AMD unveils powerful new Radeon Pro Duo graphics card

AMD has revealed its new Radeon Pro Duo dual-GPU graphics card, based on the company’s Polaris architecture.

I know what y'all will say but I also know I'm not the only one, so...

Benchmarks! Benchmarks! Benchmarks! Benchmarks! Benchmarks! Benchmarks! Benchmarks! Benchmarks! BENCHMARKS!

My biggest concern is MONEY. What's the point of making 1 card that's the price of 4 PCs? Then I'll rather have my bargain special Render Farm.
    Bandwidth: Something more precious than gold in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by foozball3000 View Post
    My biggest concern is MONEY. What's the point of making 1 card that's the price of 4 PCs? Then I'll rather have my bargain special Render Farm.
    If you rent a render farm it can be cheaper but not everyone can have access to super fast internet to produce complex CGI and 3D models. Render also farms work better with more hardware/processing power in the end. So it's down to a cost/performance/time ratio.

As for the Radeon Pro Dueo...
    The Radeon Pro Duo is meant for 3D design and creation, it's a direct competitor to the Nvidia Quatro series. Which can go into the $5000 price range.

Forgive me I know very little about 3D design, but as a crude comparison; The Nvidia Quatro P4000 comes it at the same price of around $1000, it has 243 GB/s Memory Bandwidth where the Radeon has double at 448 GB/s. (The Titan Xp does around 547.7 GB/s at $1200) Additionally the Radeon is ​11.45 TFLOPS in compute performance, where Nvidia is around 5.3 TFLOPS. Double the performance at the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Glordit View Post
    If you rent a render farm it can be cheaper but not everyone can have access to super fast internet to produce complex CGI and 3D models. Render also farms work better with more hardware/processing power in the end. So it's down to a cost/performance/time ratio.

As for the Radeon Pro Dueo...
    The Radeon Pro Duo is meant for 3D design and creation, it's a direct competitor to the Nvidia Quatro series. Which can go into the $5000 price range.

Forgive me I know very little about 3D design, but as a crude comparison; The Nvidia Quatro P4000 comes it at the same price of around $1000, it has 243 GB/s Memory Bandwidth where the Radeon has double at 448 GB/s. (The Titan Xp does around 547.7 GB/s at $1200) Additionally the Radeon is ​11.45 TFLOPS in compute performance, where Nvidia is around 5.3 TFLOPS. Double the performance at the same price.
    Lets put it this way, for R50,000 you can slap 5 fairly powerful PCs together to use as your own personal render farm. Those 5 together will outperform the 50k card by quite a lot. Which is why I think that's just for the rich kids. Because bang for buck, you're not getting that much more.
    Bandwidth: Something more precious than gold in South Africa