Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Outlast 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Outlast 2

The game has been released and have gotten mixed reviews. Some people love it and some people hate it. Personally, I'm really hoping that my wife will get it for my birthday. I've been mentioning it for a while now and hopefully she'll get the hint.

The first Outlast was amazing. Especially the DLC, Whistleblower. It's by far the scariest game I've ever played.

Outlast 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed survival horror game Outlast. Set in the same universe as the first game, but with different characters and a different setting, Outlast 2 is a twisted new journey into the depths of the human mind and its dark secrets.

Outlast 2 introduces you to Sullivan Knoth and his followers, who left our wicked world behind to give birth to Temple Gate, a town, deep in the wilderness and hidden from civilization. Knoth and his flock are preparing for the tribulations of the end of times and you’re right in the thick of it.

You are Blake Langermann, a cameraman working with your wife, Lynn. The two of you are investigative journalists willing to take risks and dig deep to uncover the stories no one else will dare touch.

You're following a trail of clues that started with the seemingly impossible murder of a pregnant woman known only as Jane Doe.
    The investigation has lead you miles into the Arizona desert, to a darkness so deep that no one could shed light upon it, and a corruption so profound that going mad may be the only sane thing to do.
    Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/414700/Outlast_2/ (R319)
    XBox One: https://www.microsoft.com/en-za/stor...2/bzvpnm21tcjc (Only R250!)
    Playstation 4: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...TLAST200000000 (R469)

I couldn't wait, so bought it on the XBone. For R250 for a new game I couldn't miss it.

I've been keen to get it, but all the reviews are saying BAD things - check them out, especially maybe the Angry Joe review... I decided to not buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by medicnick83 View Post
    I've been keen to get it, but all the reviews are saying BAD things - check them out, especially maybe the Angry Joe review... I decided to not buy it.
    It seems to be very mixed: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/outlast-2

I saw the beginning of the Angry Joe review and decided to rather stop. He says in the beginning that he played on Hard and he found the game frustrating. That was enough for me.

So I'm hoping for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    It seems to be very mixed: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/outlast-2

I saw the beginning of the Angry Joe review and decided to rather stop. He says in the beginning that he played on Hard and he found the game frustrating. That was enough for me.

So I'm hoping for the best!
    A friend has got it and he said, so far they are both pleased and frustrated at times. "It's really good looking, atmospheric and creepy, but at certain points you have to escape and you are give a few paths, to escape through. One of those is the correct path and if you chose the wrong one... well you start again."

I've been playing it on and off over the weekend and it's alright. Some improvements, some steps back.

As Glordit mentioned above, scripted chase sequences are a bit meh and they happen often. The game is also not as scary as previous games and more often than not, you'll feel frustrated rather than scared because there's one way to get through a level and you get stuck often. I think the reduced scare factor is because it's no as claustophobic. You're put in very wide open spaces and you rarely feel caged-in.
    But it's not all bad. I've been loving the story as I've always been fascinated with stories about religious cults, bonus points if it includes supernatural elements. The enemies are also definitely smarter. You can no longer escape by just jumping or crawling somewhere with the enemy being unable to follow. Enemies will actually cross gaps or crawl after you in small spaces. They can also open doors as opposed to how they had to bash them down in Outlast.

I'm only on Chapter 2 of 6 (chapter 1 is loooong) but it's definitely worth your while if you like games of this nature.

Fsck no! After Alien: Isolation, I'm done with this type of games. I'm getting too old for this. RE: Biohazard was the last thanks.

I played for about 2 hours now and I'm loving it! The tenseness is a nice contrast to the relaxing Mass Effect Andromeda. I'm also a bit surprised that people say it's frustrating and difficult. So far I've only died twice and both times could have been avoided but I wanted to experiment.

Maybe the game gets more difficult later on. The current difficulty is perfect for me. Tense but not overwhelming.

The frustration comes in more with the trial-and-error nature of many of the situations. Quite often there's one way through a situation and you'll die repeatedly until you figure it out, thus where the frustration set in. Especially in the second half of the game you'll regularly be faced with scripted chase sequences where there is only one way of doing it and a moment's hesitation will get you killed. So you might die two or three times before you figure out the right route. The first game was often a bit more forgiving of experimentation and one solution through a section would not necessarily work again the next time you tried it.

That said, I finished it earlier this week and I still loved it to bits. It's definitely worthy of the Outlast name. The story was really good and I liked the setting a lot more than the first game. There is also some tie-ins to the first game, but I won't elaborate to avoid spoilers. Needless to say, just try and read every piece of paper you can. My only major gripe is that the second half of the game was dominated by chase sequences so I felt like that entire half of the game was just spent running away from things. It would have been nice to catch a break to explore the surroundings once in a while, especially with how great the level design was.

It's not as scary as the first game, which probably helped me be able to finish it in such a short time. I think the fact that you're not in narrow corridors but wide open spaces helped a lot with that. That said, it has its moments. There was a section where you are on a raft and it really sent chills down my spine, especially because dark water really creeps me out in real life.

I got to one of the frustration bits yesterday. Where you have no idea where you are supposed to run to but you have to run and it has to be done in a certain way. They could have left that out in my opinion. Still loving the game though!

I also see they are bringing out a patch that will make the normal difficulty a bit easier. Or it may have come out already. Not sure.