Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How large of a factor is Ping when deciding to buy a game?

Default How large of a factor is Ping when deciding to buy a game?

So this has always been a HUGE issue to me. Probably because I play FPS games 95% of the time online. And I almost solely play Online games. So ping is a very important factor for me when I am deciding on whether to buy a game or not.
    For example playing CSGO with a ping of 100+ms is impossible for me. But I think that is because I am very competitive.

I was amazed at the amount of South Africans that bought and played BF1 and played on international server. Crazy!

The ONLY 2 games that I am currently playing on international servers is OW and Player Unknowns Battle Grounds, and that is just because I have not other choice of Servers.
    Both of these games are that good that I can over look the issue with Ping.

How important is Ping to you, and have you had any games like what I mentioned above?

Name:  ba3b60be4047e2ec5db9620e54384760_share-memes-lag_512-389.jpeg
Views: 174
Size:  34.6 KB

For me, ping has little to no impact whatsoever. I pre-ordered and bought Battlefield 1 knowing fully that there won't be any servers in SA. But it's really easy for me to say this because I am just not in to competitive online gaming at all. It's all for fun for me, and as long as I'm having fun, lag will be a very limiting factor in my buying process.

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    For me, ping has little to no impact whatsoever. I pre-ordered and bought Battlefield 1 knowing fully that there won't be any servers in SA. But it's really easy for me to say this because I am just not in to competitive online gaming at all. It's all for fun for me, and as long as I'm having fun, lag will be a very limiting factor in my buying process.
    So you still played it Online, even though you had to run and gun (or Spray and Pray)? Or did you buy it mainly for the campaign ?

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    So you still played it Online, even though you had to run and gun (or Spray and Pray)? Or did you buy it mainly for the campaign ?
    I was lured into buying it by the promise of gameplay in a WW1 scenario. I impulsed bought it before it came to light that there wasn't gonna be a big emphasis on single player. And to this day, I've spent a huge amount of hours in multiplayer in the game. I think the fact that I bought it on Xbox, and the fact that I'm playing via Xbox Live and I'm playing an FPS with a controller makes up some of the inaccuracies associated with high lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I think that is pretty much the difference. If I want a game for it's multiplayer capabilities then Ping will greatly impact my decision. For single player/campaign games It wont make a difference.

It's going to depend on the game. Some games have great netcode that compensates for ping, like Overwatch. With slow-paced games like ArmA3 or DayZ where twitch-reactions aren't necessary to win, it also tends not to be an issue.

If I'm looking at a twitch-shooter like Battlefield or Counter-Strike, then high pings are an absolute no-go.

High pings are definitely not enjoyable. So I wouldn't want to try playing if I had another choice.
    T A N S T A A F L

I would love to play Dota 2 on ranked EU servers but I simply can't handle the high ping I get to EU servers. Sadly the netcode in Dota 2 is not as good as Overwatch whereby 150ms latency or higher remains perfectly playable.

I even requested a refund on Savage Resurrection when I realised no one was going to play it locally and that I would have to rely on international servers if I wanted to play. So yes, I'd say ping is a huge factor when deciding if I should buy a game or not. Though to be honest I'd say a bigger factor for me when making a decision is if a game is purely multiplayer or not. If it's purely multiplayer I tend to ignore it because trying to get people to play anything else is next to impossible.

Compounding the problem is how bad local latencies have become for privately hosted games. Back in the Twilight days a 4mb ADSL line could easily host 10 player Dota 1 games with each player getting around 50ms latency or less. I can't even host a private game for one player without them getting latencies in excess of 100ms!

It seems that unless you have fibre your choices are severely limited, or at least your ability to have an enjoyable experience is extremely limited.

I can play MOBA games like HoN and HoTS on EU servers as well as diablo.

It's FPS games that I kind of can't handle with high ping, played APB reloaded once upon a time and it was really fun, but the amount of lag was just too much and would have ended up me starting to hate the game, as an example it literally took 5 seconds for the vehicle I was driving to turn left after I pressed the left arrow key....

MMO games tho, I am absolutely fine with since I don't partake in any PVP whatsoever, yeah certain attack prompts from mobs in newer MMOs I won't be able to dodge, but honestly that does not bother me, I'm a filthy casual when it comes to MMOs

My range of being able to handle "high" ping is usually 250-300max any higher and I start teleporting and animations start looping, that's when I am like: "nope time for something else"
    Almighty legit one.

Steam: TechThief Battle.net: TechThief#2664 Uplay: CrzCop Origin: TechThief

Quote Originally Posted by TechThief View Post
    It's FPS games that I kind of can't handle with high ping, played APB reloaded once upon a time and it was really fun, but the amount of lag was just too much and would have ended up me starting to hate the game, as an example it literally took 5 seconds for the vehicle I was driving to turn left after I pressed the left arrow key....
    Holy crap, I remember that. I still can't believe any developer could be so stupid to handle driving server-side. I thought the game was broken before I realised the game sends driving instructions to the server before it actually steers the vehicle.