Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: What is BTGames even good for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default What is BTGames even good for?

    So I go to their store just after 9 to pick up my preorder for Prey and nope, "sorry, it hasn't come in yet" and they can't give me a timeframe for when it will be ready. I walked to Musica just a bit further in the mall and picked it up with no hassles. While in the queue, the guy behind me also said that the only reason he's there was because BTGames doesn't have stock yet. Thank goodness I decided to opt for paying in-store upon collection at BTGames. I would have been really annoyed if I wasted an off day waiting for BT to get stock.

    And it's not even the first issue I have with them. They fumbled the last preorder I did with them and I had to pay the higher in-store fee. Their prices are almost always more expensive than anywhere else and they rarely have good sales. Sometimes even their sale prices are more expensive than other (often physical) retailers charge for the same game. The only saving grace seems to be that they do game trade-ins, and even that is really bad. It seems like the max they pay for any game is R250 and it's not uncommon for them to then resell a new game for a 200% markup.

    It's both shocking and sad that a store that market themselves as 'the largest specialist gaming store in South Africa' is so completely out of touch with the gaming community and are just utterly useless. Does anyone here actually find them useful?

  2. #2
    Thread Killer Mk VIII czc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Between Kensington and The Vale
    Posts
    15,723

    Default

    I've never been to a BT games. True story.
    T A N S T A A F L

  3. #3

    Default

    Being in a place like Margate you're used to brick and mortar stores getting games a day or three after release. But my appeal (now that we no longer have a BT) is due to trading in. We have no market for that locally.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeoTeK View Post
    Being in a place like Margate you're used to brick and mortar stores getting games a day or three after release. But my appeal (now that we no longer have a BT) is due to trading in. We have no market for that locally.
    Worst part is I live in Century City. I'm smack-bang in the middle of the WC's tech hub. You would expect them to get their stock the day before release so they can start packing it out first thing on release day. I mean, that's precisely what Musica did, yet the biggest gaming retailer in SA doesn't think to do that.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    Worst part is I live in Century City. I'm smack-bang in the middle of the WC's tech hub. You would expect them to get their stock the day before release so they can start packing it out first thing on release day. I mean, that's precisely what Musica did, yet the biggest gaming retailer in SA doesn't think to do that.
    And here I sit, still waiting for CNA/Musica to get copies of Prey...

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    So I go to their store just after 9 to pick up my preorder for Prey and nope, "sorry, it hasn't come in yet" and they can't give me a timeframe for when it will be ready. I walked to Musica just a bit further in the mall and picked it up with no hassles. While in the queue, the guy behind me also said that the only reason he's there was because BTGames doesn't have stock yet. Thank goodness I decided to opt for paying in-store upon collection at BTGames. I would have been really annoyed if I wasted an off day waiting for BT to get stock.

    And it's not even the first issue I have with them. They fumbled the last preorder I did with them and I had to pay the higher in-store fee. Their prices are almost always more expensive than anywhere else and they rarely have good sales. Sometimes even their sale prices are more expensive than other (often physical) retailers charge for the same game. The only saving grace seems to be that they do game trade-ins, and even that is really bad. It seems like the max they pay for any game is R250 and it's not uncommon for them to then resell a new game for a 200% markup.

    It's both shocking and sad that a store that market themselves as 'the largest specialist gaming store in South Africa' is so completely out of touch with the gaming community and are just utterly useless. Does anyone here actually find them useful?
    They good for game cards like PSN, Steam, etc..

  7. #7

    Default

    I have never seen a steam gift card being sold there

  8. #8
    Bargain Hunter mottamort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    Dinosaurs will Die...

  9. #9

    Default

    I've often bought games on launch day from BT Games as a much cheaper price than is available on Steam. For example, I'll be picking up Prey today for R645 as opposed to R799 on Steam.

  10. #10

    Default

    I've always experienced a bit of arrogance when i use to buy from them. Their staff (not saying all of them, but some) always had this attitude when i asked them questions etc. That kind of attitude i felt was not acceptable and i decided to never buy from them again. I do 90% of my game purchases online these days.. Just find it a lot easier.

Similar Threads

  1. GuildWars 2 Pre-Order from BTGames
    By Dalden in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 10:48 PM
  2. Is it just me having problems with BTGames website
    By okuhle94 in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-08-2012, 04:13 PM
  3. BTGames! Upgrade Your Site!
    By Lycanthrope in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 03:25 PM
  4. BTGames Special
    By fayainz in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-01-2011, 05:12 PM
  5. punani @ btgames ?
    By Necuno in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 13-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •