Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The different types of gamers

Post The different types of gamers

If you thought that the world of gaming consisted of only hardcore and casual gamers, boy do I have news for you. This topic has been one I've been reading into lately, and the results from Google searches are astounding. Kotaku lists 27 types of gamers, VGChartz lists 4, Wikipedia lists 6 of which there are further sub-classed types, Spike has 10 different types etc. The list goes on and one. But looking at all these lists, they all share commonalities. Common themes that potentially can be grouped together in a more coherent way. And so I, DieGrootHammer, have come up with my own list of gamer types based on some scientific research and game theory.

Casual Gamers
    The casual gamer is one that partakes in gaming on a non-frequent basis. They are they type of person that would play the odd mobile game on their phone, perhaps the odd small game on their laptops, or even actually own a console for those once in a blue moon gaming sessions. They spend rather little on gaming in general, are easily swayed into some form of leaderboard or achievement hunting, and don't really care for the social aspect of gaming. They really just play for fun every now and then

Core Gamers
    The biggest group of gamers. This is the type of gamers that plays games regularly, and enjoys either playing with friends or on their own. They are the ones that walks into a gaming store, looks at all the new games, and buys the one that either looks the coolest, or that everyone is talking or playing. They are extremely susceptible to hype, marketing and pre-ordering. They are not they type of person that will go online and spend their time looking for or researching any information about the games. They are the average gamer. They gamer that plays all the "cool" titles. They are the gamer that sees a trailer for a game and climb onto the hype train all the way. They do watch some gaming content on YouTube, but only the most popular of streamers or channels. And definitely not all the time. Also, they tend to be either console gamers or own a mid-level gaming PC. Definitely nothing too grand.

Hardcore Gamers
    The difference between Core and Hardcore gamers are simple: information. Hardcore gamers not only love playing games, they love the worlds and the communities surrounding the games they play as well. They love reading about gaming news, they frequent gaming news sites, they watch a whole bunch of different gaming related YouTubers. This is also where you will find the most PC gamers, and they tend to have the more powerful PCs. They are also the most likely to own multiple consoles. Everyone reading this post I think is safe to assume is a hardcore gamer.

Hobbyist
    These are the type of gamers that obsess over a very specific type of game, or even just one game only. They put in 1000's of hours into single titles. They are active in the niche community of their interests. These players almost exclusively play only a single game, or a very specific type of game. They are usually extremely good at that one game, and have turned that game into their hobby. They read up on the finer nuances of the game, they buy expensive equipment to add to their gaming experience. They are the experts of their field.

Multiplayer Gamers
    The gamers that play games almost exclusively for the multiplayer experiences. According to the research done by Richard Bartle, they are classed into 4 types of gamers; Achievers\Competitors, Explorers, Social, Killers. They play games competitively, or socially, or to be the best PvP, or grief people relentlessly, or explore and live in the fantacy world created.

Now, I would hazard a guess and say that most, if not all people here on the forum are either Hardcore or Multiplayer gamers. But what do you think about this classification, and do you agree with me? Do you think there should be more, or less, or are you the special snowflake that will not bend to stereotypes and classifications?

Well then, according to your stereotypical approach I'm a combination between a Core and Hardcore Gamer.

And for some reason I still don't like or appreciate that term, "Gamer".

Quote Originally Posted by BeoTeK View Post
    Well then, according to your stereotypical approach I'm a combination between a Core and Hardcore Gamer.

See i love the term Gamer - its so nice to be able to say I am a gamer - I dont have to specify that I am a female gamer because its just just acceptable to be a gamer

Hmm, interesting. Why don't you like the term "gamer"? Is it just you don't like being labeled?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    See i love the term Gamer - its so nice to be able to say I am a gamer - I dont have to specify that I am a female gamer because its just just acceptable to be a gamer
    Funny enough, on the wiki page and some websites actually list "Female Gamer" as a type of gamer. I don't know why, and is the reason why it's not part of my categorization.

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Why don't you like the term "gamer"? Is it just you don't like being labeled?
    I don't know, I don't think it's a matter of being labeled. Just because I enjoy playing games, is that warrant enough to be called (or labeled as you put it) a gamer?

A counter argument could be; if someone enjoys watching series or movies, would you call or label them appropriately? Would they then become a Movie-er or something?

I don't know, I don't think it's a matter of being labeled. Just because I enjoy playing games, is that warrant enough to be called (or labeled as you put it) a gamer?

A counter argument could be; if someone enjoys watching series or movies, would you call or label them appropriately? Would they then become a Movie-er or something?
    But because I play golf, I'm a golfer. Because I like going to the movies, I'm a moviegoer. The suffix "er" means "more" or "action or process" or "a person who does an action". So when you actively watch a series, you are a series-watcher. If you actively play games, you are a games player, or gamer for short. So this is why the name or label is used. It's not to distinguish you from other people, it's just to identify with the actions you partake in.

Now, because of the size and scale of the gaming industry, the term has just grown and grown, for better or worse, depending on your opinion. And now because so many different type of people play games, with their different personalities and whatnot, means that a bunch of different types of gamers exist. This post of mine was just a stab at trying to understand those groupings better. I was actually looking into the world of hobbyist gamers, and though this might make a good thread on the forum.

All this is my view and interpretation though, and you can completely disagree with me on it.

See for me that label is again important, I am a gamer, I am a geek, I am not girl, woman, female. I am juged on my merit and not on looks, gender. And no you can ask [MENTION=9789]DieGrootHammer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9040]B1nary[/MENTION] - I am not a feminest. I believe that there are things that men do better than women and vice versa. But as a gamer I am seen as an equal. Its not just for being treated equally tho, its the sense of community, family and friendship that being a gamer evokes. As any thing else you are judged on so much worthless crap, where as a gamer it is about skill, knowledge and just pure enjoyment and love.

Sure, and I appreciate the OP and your input. I also appreciate the discussion that has ensued as a result. I am in no means trying to be condescending or get anyone's back up against the wall, nor am I trying to create angst within the discussion.

Sure, and I appreciate the OP and your input. I also appreciate the discussion that has ensued as a result. I am in no means trying to be condescending or get anyone's back up against the wall, nor am I trying to create angst within the discussion.
    Not seen that way at all Im just explaining to you why I actually like the term. To each his own We are all special snowflakes :P

Absolutely not the problem. I welcome the difference of opinion. Actually, I thought my comment about the core gamer audience being the biggest part would get more comments.

At the end of the day, some people do need labels. There is just some security of knowing who you are and where you belong that helps people, other don't like being labeled because it puts them in a box of preconceived biases, and others don't really care. There is no right or wrong.