You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

Thread: Game Sessions (Get Ryse for Free)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

Default Game Sessions (Get Ryse for Free)

Game Sessions is a company and platform that is trying to bring back game demos in a certain manner.

We believe passionately that no-one should pay for a game until they’ve tried it and the only way to know if you like a game is to play it.

We know that PC gaming demands a lot from its users. We are expected to assess if our PC will match complicated and technical ‘Minimum Specs’; wait a long time to download a game, and pay upfront before knowing if we’ll even enjoy the game.

GameSessions offers a fresh option for gamers, letting everyone download and play a wide range of games for free on their own PC. During the trial, you'll have the chance to rent or buy in-game to unlock and play on instantly. You will then be able to play the game through Steam™, without losing your trial progress.

Downloading the game is typically three times faster than from anywhere else due to our unique compression technology, whilst the DRM ensures publishers are happy to let us supply gamers with their latest and greatest games for free.
    So it's basically a time limited trial of the full game, much the same as the trials that Origin offers. Unlike a Steam "free weekend" the time limit applies to game time, although it's not nearly as generous as a whole 2 days. Although they do occasionally have a promo where a Humble sponsored game gives you "week's" playtime (20+ hrs gametime) on a certain game.

They currently have a promotion where if you download Ryse: Son of Rome on their client and play it for 5 minutes you get to keep the game for free and play it as much as you like (on their client). If you want to get it on Steam you can buy it with their discount link and your progress is transferred to the Steam version.

My Experience So Far
    I decided to give Game Sessions a try and grab Ryse for the free promo. I downloaded the client file and ran it only to have Avast! quarantine and send it off to them to be verified. A red flag was raised and I did some checking on how legit these guys are. After a bit of checking it seems they are legit, they've been around for a few years actually. The Avast report came back clear, despite it still picking up the client as a false positive.

After finally getting the download going it seemed to go at the same max speed that my line can handle (2, 4MBs per second which I worked out by seeing the downloaded amount go up since it doesn't actually show the speed). The full download was 25,7GB which is the size on disk and the same on the Steam version. So I'm not sure about their fancy compression claims.

Running the game begins with a skippable Game Sessions advert, thereafter it goes into the game proper. I didn't play my 5 minutes then and quit, which brought up a list of options asking me why I had quit so soon, with response choices such as: "I don't have time to play now", "I'm adjusting settings", "I wasn't running properly" or "The game crashed". I thought this was quite a clever touch.
    Last edited by DarthMol; 10-07-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

Maybe a concept like this can work but I doubt I'll ever use it and I don't think it will catch on really.

There are so many games.
    T A N S T A A F L

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMol View Post
    The full download was 25,7GB which is the size on disk and the same on the Steam version. So I'm not sure about their fancy compression claims.
    Did you measure the download with something like Net Limiter? I am curious because just saying you downloaded 25.7GB because that is the file size on disc will not be very accurate. The compressed file needs to be decompressed after downloading so it is possible you downloaded say 20GB and that "file" decompressed to 25.7GB or something like that on disc. It makes sense that the size on disc at the end should be the same as the steam version since they say you can transfer the game to Steam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

Quote Originally Posted by Werfetter View Post
    Did you measure the download with something like Net Limiter? I am curious because just saying you downloaded 25.7GB because that is the file size on disc will not be very accurate. The compressed file needs to be decompressed after downloading so it is possible you downloaded say 20GB and that "file" decompressed to 25.7GB or something like that on disc. It makes sense that the size on disc at the end should be the same as the steam version since they say you can transfer the game to Steam.
    I must admit I didn't measure it with Net Limiter. I based this assumption off the actual download client telling me that there was 0/25GB to download. It didn't show the download speed but the rate at which the MB's downloaded per second it seemed to use my full 2,4MB/s line speed.
    I'm comparing this to Steam's downloading where a 10GB game (on disk) can have a 6GB download (since it's compressed).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMol View Post
    I must admit I didn't measure it with Net Limiter. I based this assumption off the actual download client telling me that there was 0/25GB to download. It didn't show the download speed but the rate at which the MB's downloaded per second it seemed to use my full 2,4MB/s line speed.
    I'm comparing this to Steam's downloading where a 10GB game (on disk) can have a 6GB download (since it's compressed).
    Maybe this is an experiment I can run this weekend. Would be interesting to see if the "fancy compression" is as good as they claim...