Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which HD remake would you want to have?

Solar Winds, "Warcraft 1 and 2" hell yes, "black and white" hell yes.

I wonder how long before people are like I wish they would do a 4K remake of x

Doubt we will see wc1 & 2 remasters but WC3 and D2 are very likely with all the rumors. Looking forward to the SC remaster next month.

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    For me, I would say my list of HD remakes that I would love are:
    Evil Genius
    Hidden and Dangerous
    Black And White
    Alien v Predator

My word I would pay all the monies for have these 4 remakes.

How about you?
    It's not a remake but there's an Evil Genius 2 being made!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Also would love to have the original Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Tides of Darkness, and Warcraft 3, and Frozen throne all Remastered...
    100000% agreed, also Dungeon Keeper 1, and 2 and
    Freelancer

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Almighty legit one.

Steam: TechThief Battle.net: TechThief#2664 Uplay: CrzCop Origin: TechThief

The very first C&C.
    The Gabriel Knight trilogy (I know they remastered Sins of the Fathers recently, but I'd like all 3).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

So, a lot of people that would really want different games and HD remakes. I take it then that most of you don't mind the fact that more and more people are doing HD remakes. I've seen a lot of comments on the internet that people see HD remakes as just another cash grab. I personally don't agree with those views. I've seen people draw a parallel with the movie remakes coming thick and fast. Perhaps this discussion can serve as another thread idea for someone...

I have no issue with the remasters that are developed from scratch with mostly just sound/movie assets etc reused. I do have an issue with those quick cash grabs where they barely get the old game to run on a modern system with a simple wrapper or quick patch job of the source.

So, a lot of people that would really want different games and HD remakes. I take it then that most of you don't mind the fact that more and more people are doing HD remakes. I've seen a lot of comments on the internet that people see HD remakes as just another cash grab. I personally don't agree with those views. I've seen people draw a parallel with the movie remakes coming thick and fast. Perhaps this discussion can serve as another thread idea for someone...
    Its an interesting question.

It could be seen as a cash grab if all they do is take the original and do the minimal to make it work on modern systems. On the other hand if they do a proper job they are introducing the game to a new generation of players. I agree this could be a thread on its own.
    T A N S T A A F L

Okay, got a lot to comment on here so grab a coffee and let's get to it...

Quote Originally Posted by murfle View Post
    I tried modding Mass Effect 1 over the weekend, but it doesn't start now, so I gave up... I'll try again when I'm not sneezing all over myself
    Which mod(s) did you try use? I only ever used MEUITM for my first playthrough and it was a breeze to install even on the Steam version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Final Fantasy IX and VIII, but if it takes nearly as long as VII then dont bother...
    I think this is where this thread needs some clarification to distinguish between a remake and a remaster.

IMHO a remake is a complete remake of a game from the ground up which barely uses anything from the original. A good example of this would be the System Shock remake currently being worked on by Nightdive Studios. Now keeping NDS in mind their other projects of brining back lost and forgotten games is what I consider to be remasters; updating the original game with fixes, engine improvements and occassionally even hi-res textures so they run and look good on modern systems.

Now with all that said, and even though I am pretty excited for the FF7 remake in the Unreal Engine I would much rather get a complete remake of FF6 next. Just like you can already get a near remastered experience of the original FF7 through mods I'm sure there are similar mods which can achieve the same effect for VIII & IX. FF6 on the other hand was the last SNES FF game, and while extremely impressive for what it achieved on the platform it only holds up for a few people who can overlook a game's graphics to appreciate its story. For this reason I feel it deserves to be remade (and not the BS remaster crap they did with the mobile / PC version) something like this teaser which they made for FF14:

I think the only thing they wouldn't need to remaster is Terra's theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    Vanilla Deus Ex
    Yes! While a complete remake, which brings the game up to the same graphical fidelity as the latest Deus Ex, seems like a pipe dream I could be happy with a remaster which introduces modern gameplay features and mechanics. I couldn't play Deus Ex when it first came out, a tragedy I know and I am trying to remedy that now, but trying to play it now is difficult when used to more modern gameplay mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Looking forward to the SC remaster next month.
    Oh yes! I'm definitely grabbing that as soon as it's available and replaying the entire series again! In fact I think I will nominate SC for the next MyGame.

Quote Originally Posted by TechThief View Post
    100000% agreed, also Dungeon Keeper 1, and 2 and
    Freelancer
    Oh yes please! While I can get both DK games to load they're not exactly modern PC friendly. In fact for DK2 I would even be willing to settle for a mere update to the game's code to update the engine and add proper widescreen support.

Movie remakes are obvious cash grabs because they are cashing in on a popular movie title. I can only think of one exceptional remaster where a studio did a fantastic job on it and that would have to be the Star Trek TNG Blu-Ray remasters. It required the studio to go back and transfer the original negatives to digital and recreate a lot, if not all, the special effects from scratch! Sadly it cost too much to do and is the reason why we don't see many high quality remasters of classic movies and TV shows. A real pity if you ask me as I would gladly pay top dollar for a Star Trek Voyager remaster.

As for games it may seem like all the PS3 games which got the remastered treatment for PS4 (and even PS2 games which got remastered for PS3) are cash grabs I feel they are a good thing. Not a lot of people can afford every console generation so it is nice to be able to play hit games from the previous generation on the latest generation console. For example I never owned a PS2 but at least now I can still enjoy something like FFX in full HD glory on the PS3 thanks to its remaster.

This is inline with what czc said below:

Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    Its an interesting question.

It could be seen as a cash grab if all they do is take the original and do the minimal to make it work on modern systems. On the other hand if they do a proper job they are introducing the game to a new generation of players. I agree this could be a thread on its own.
    Maintaining games so they remain playable for the next generation of gamers is a good thing. I'm sure we all have a recommendation for an old game which should be on everyone's gaming bucket list to play at least once? It is for that very reason why I feel remasters are a good thing and another reason why I love what Nightdive Studios as a company does.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Which mod(s) did you try use? I only ever used MEUITM for my first playthrough and it was a breeze to install even on the Steam version of the game.
    That's one of the two I installed. I also installed http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/54/? for effects... My bad, not testing the first before installing the second. I'll get around to trying it again.