You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

View Poll Results: If given a choice which do you tend to prefer?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I tend to prefer first person perspective

4 26.67%
  • I tend to prefer third person perspective

2 13.33%
  • It depends solely on the game

9 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Given the choice do you prefer 3rd person or 1st person perspective?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

Default Given the choice do you prefer 3rd person or 1st person perspective?

There are 2 types of people who play Elder Scrolls games - those who install hot babe mods and then everyone else who plays in first person mode

Jokes aside - how do you play Elder Scrolls games? I've always preferred to play in the FPP.

What is your preference when a game offers you a choice between 1st person and 3rd person? Does it depend on the game?

FPP or TPP for Player Unknown's Battlegrounds?

I remember that Hitman Blood Money had a first person mode, although there I much preferred the traditional 3rd person mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

First Person always!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete.

It depends on the way the game was developed for. All Bethesda titles' third person modes feel tacked on, so I always play first person.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

1st - easier to navigate.

Unless its a tomb raider title...then maybe 3rd person...for reasons.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Weirdly I have "hot babe" mods on my skyrim, but play in 1st. conan/ark style games i also like 1st.
    Hitman 3rd person all the way
    So I'd say MOSTLY 1st person, but sometimes the game itself is made for a different perspective, and as @FarligOpptreden says, sometimes the 1 mode feels a bit of an afterthought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Smith View Post
    First Person always!
    Really, even GTA V? It's way cooler, when you can see them, when they pound the shait out of a hooker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

1st person for spells & the bow, 3rd for all other combat, especially when taking on larger or more numerous enemies. 3rd person is also good for sneaking around and exploring, until you have to closer examine some items then it's back to 1st person. BUT, if the game only had one option, then 1st person would be my preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

It depends on the game. In general though I prefer first person games on the pc and third person on the console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Statistics time!!!

Diving into the details of my Top 100 Games list of all time, I find that 34% of them are from a first-person perspective, or was played from that perspective. The 3rd person perspective games only clock in at 23% of the top games, so I guess it settles it, I love FPS games more than 3rd person.

But even without looking at pure stats, I can definitely say that I enjoy the first person perspective more than 3rd person. Some games obviously is designed like that and you do not have a choice, but compare something like GTA5 and Skyrim. Both have 3rd and 1st person perspectives. GTA's is an add on, and feels like that, which is why it is the least used between the two. Skyrim is more used in 1st person, because the 3rd person feels more add on and the game was more designed for 1st person gaming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

Sort of related to the topic - I really enjoy first person platformers, as unwieldy as they can be. I broadly include the Mirror's Edge games, Portal 1 & 2, Dead Core, A Story about my Uncle, Against the wall (alpha and probably won't be complete but still cool concept). I still want to get Valley and Downward.