MyGaming Journalist
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Default AMD Radeon RX Vega graphics cards - South African pricing

AMD Radeon RX Vega graphics cards - South African pricing

AMD’s Radeon RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 graphics cards are now for sale in South Africa.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Uuuuuuhm, OK, I'll skip this round. Maybe some better pricing on the next round

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

That 56 would be great paired with a Ryzen 1600. Until nVidia releases their next cards, that 56 is a descent offering, but still disappointing.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Very much in line with pricing for the 1070 and 1080, which is not unexpected seeing as these are the rivals of the Vega 56 and Vega 64. You can see though the impact that mining and memory shortages have had on the price of cards.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

You can order, but none of the cards are actually available right now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by oltman View Post
    You can order, but none of the cards are actually available right now.
    Hi

There are some GIGABYTE VEGA cards arriving soon.

Price is a bit better than previously listed.

Enjoy.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Tech View Post
    Hi

There are some GIGABYTE VEGA cards arriving soon.

Price is a bit better than previously listed.

Enjoy.
    Thanks for letting me know! Still seems too much. Might go G-Sync and Nvidia

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Still seems too much. Might go G-Sync and Nvidia
    That's exactly what I did. For the price of a reference based air-cooled Vega 64 I was able to get the ASUS ROG Strix 1080 Ti brand new from Amazon, and that included shipping and import duties! While I may have been a die-hard AMD fan in the past I have to concede that as a gamer Nvidia offers the better gaming experience. By better I mean AMD could come out tomorrow with the most powerful card in the world and games would still run better on a lesser Nvidia card due to the preference most developers seem to show towards Nvidia.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    That's exactly what I did. For the price of a reference based air-cooled Vega 64 I was able to get the ASUS ROG Strix 1080 Ti brand new from Amazon, and that included shipping and import duties! While I may have been a die-hard AMD fan in the past I have to concede that as a gamer Nvidia offers the better gaming experience. By better I mean AMD could come out tomorrow with the most powerful card in the world and games would still run better on a lesser Nvidia card due to the preference most developers seem to show towards Nvidia.
    That makes me sad! For some reason I have had bad luck when I go green. The Red Team has served me very well, having had some great cards in the past. I struggle to justify the current Vega cards. You are right, as a gamer Nvidia seems to be the best best as far as support in games go...

OT: did you get it shipped directly or use a third party US address?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

That makes me sad! For some reason I have had bad luck when I go green. The Red Team has served me very well, having had some great cards in the past. I struggle to justify the current Vega cards. You are right, as a gamer Nvidia seems to be the best best as far as support in games go...
    I know, the Red Team has also served me very well up until now. I can't even remember what the last Nvidia card I owned was but I can still remember every ATI / AMD card I have ever owned. I started off with an HIS HD 4850 IceQ 4 back in 2009 before replacing it with an XFX 5870, followed by a MSI TwinFrozr III R6950, Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X and finally an XFX Fury X. The reason I decided to go with a 1080 Ti aside from how much more powerful it is over Vega is due to the following:

• I didn't feel like waiting any longer for it especially since I would've had to wait even longer for the ROG Strix version of it.
    • I didn't feel like overpaying for the card because it uses HBM2 or because miners have inflated the price.
    • I didn't feel like waiting for the platform to mature (aka waiting for FineWine™ to take effect).
    • The Vega 64 uses more power than the 1080 Ti while barely eclipsing the FE 1080 in performance!
    • It would almost certainly still perform poorly in certain titles due to Nvidia's mindshare (see below).

Jim from AdoredTV talks about the mindshare Nvidia has and it was never more clear to me how much of a problem this was until my friend's laptop with a 980M could run certain games better than I could on a Fury X! Technically the Fury X should be the superior card but it just goes to show how badly optimised some games are for AMD, if they are even optimised at all?! Evidence of this bias has only been further emphasised since getting a 1080 Ti as several other games I tested all ran remarkably better on it. Aside from one outlier which still ran like utter shit the rest of the games I tested all ran better. Like the difference was night and day!

OT: did you get it shipped directly or use a third party US address?
    Direct from Amazon as they already use Aramex for deliveries to South Africa. While I do have an account with Aramex Global Shopper it would've been pointless to use it since Amazon offers cheaper shipping rates than AGS, who charges per ½ kg for a delivery. It also arrived a week after I ordered it which was an added bonus.