Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My VR Experiences

Default My VR Experiences

Since I was young I was intrigued by virtual reality. I can't remember where it started but every time I read about VR I got excited. Then the Oculus Rift was announced and not only was it stupidly expensive, needed an ungodly machine to run but also wasn't available to buy if you happened to be a South African.

So beginning last year I bought a new gaming pc especially for VR. But we still couldn't order VR in South Africa. Months passed and eventually the Oculus Rift was available on Amazon and they were willing to ship it here. It was still crazy expensive however and with so few games out there I just couldn't justify buying it.

Then the day came and it was finally on special! $399 for the headset and the touch controllers! Even then I almost didn't buy it because of the lack of good games. But a couple of days later I couldn't take it anymore and on the 12th of July I bought it.

After waiting a couple of weeks I saw that I would only be getting it in September. I contacted Amazon support and they were magnificent. I had to cancel my existing order, order the new bundle and they would ship it to me for free. Rockstars!

So if all goes well I will be getting the Oculus Rift by the end of this week.

In this thread I will write about my experiences and all the games, programs and videos I try. Maybe it'll convince other people to get it... or maybe it will convince them not to get it at all.

This is the new bundled Oculus Rift that I will be getting:
    Last edited by Solitude; 06-08-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Awesome. So jealous. Definitely keep us updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can be batman!

Quote Originally Posted by mottamort View Post
    You can be batman!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman
    Last edited by Tjitah; 07-08-2017 at 10:45 AM.

I got the Rift today! Yay!

I'm busy setting things up. Here's what the box and its insides look like:

Name:  IMG_20170810_180141_HDR.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  790.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20170810_180317.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  381.5 KB

[MENTION=20]Solitude[/MENTION]

We want more!
    4690k @4.5ghz |CM SEIDON 120V PLUS |CM HAF 932 |ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer | 16GB DDR3 | 2x Saphire RX480 Nitro+ OC| 2x256GB SSD RAID0 | 850w Corsair PSU

I need a faster internet connection!

Wow. It's absolutely amazing.

Firstly, I'm glad to say that there were no defects and everything is working perfectly. When you go through the initial setup it gets to this tutorial with a little robot. It blew me away! Suddenly I was in this other world and it dawned on me how amazing this really is.

Unfortunately all the games and things I need to install are huge. So they are busy downloading as I speak. I'm starting with the ones that I got the with the Rift and some other free ones.

The only thing I bought so far is Virtual Desktop. It makes it so that you can use your desktop in VR. I bought the one on the Oculus Store but there's some videos here of what it can do: http://store.steampowered.com/app/38...rtual_Desktop/

Text is rather blurry when using Virtual Desktop and it's then that you can really notice the pixels. Something that they can improve on with future headsets. The resolution is noticeable when you want to focus on small text and such. When looking at normal 3D environments you don't notice it.

So with Virtual Desktop I watched a lot of 360 movies! Wow, it's just amazing. I look forward to trying out actual games tomorrow!

Lekke man, enjoy it
    DALA SQUAD
    Loud, Proud and Ombeskof

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    I need a faster internet connection!

Wow. It's absolutely amazing.

Firstly, I'm glad to say that there were no defects and everything is working perfectly. When you go through the initial setup it gets to this tutorial with a little robot. It blew me away! Suddenly I was in this other world and it dawned on me how amazing this really is.

Unfortunately all the games and things I need to install are huge. So they are busy downloading as I speak. I'm starting with the ones that I got the with the Rift and some other free ones.

The only thing I bought so far is Virtual Desktop. It makes it so that you can use your desktop in VR. I bought the one on the Oculus Store but there's some videos here of what it can do: http://store.steampowered.com/app/38...rtual_Desktop/

Text is rather blurry when using Virtual Desktop and it's then that you can really notice the pixels. Something that they can improve on with future headsets. The resolution is noticeable when you want to focus on small text and such. When looking at normal 3D environments you don't notice it.

So with Virtual Desktop I watched a lot of 360 movies! Wow, it's just amazing. I look forward to trying out actual games tomorrow!
    I imagine Elite: Dangerous is the perfect game for VR, also perhaps Project Cars or similar. I'd definitely try Elite first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    I imagine Elite: Dangerous is the perfect game for VR, also perhaps Project Cars or similar. I'd definitely try Elite first though.
    Apparently Elite is amazing on VR. It costs a fortune however and to complicate things even more.... I already own it on the XBox One.

There's a lot of free content on the Oculus Store plus the Rift came with 6 games and programs for free. So I installed a ton of stuff during the night. I've got a half day today so will then go try out everything.