Page 19 of 178 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 1771

Thread: Threadkiller Mk. XIV

  1. #181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    I think it just happened to you.

    And when I posted:

    Attachment 25036
    That is exactly the error I get

  2. #182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    But surely does not have to be that way. Instead of focusing on international stuff with little to no relevance to us. Cover the few eSport events in our own country.
    Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    <snip/>
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    <snip/>
    Local e-sports coverage and the like will make its way to MyGaming, because we're covering it for MyBroadband anyway.

    Also, every now and again there will be articles like the Cards for South Africa one today that will be something fresh, just for MyGaming.

    But, to answer the question I think you're really asking... (I can't find the source post that led to Soli's reply, so I'll try to give as much context as I can.)

    Not sure if you remember, but last year from about April to the first half of December, we pushed MyGaming massively. I shifted more of my own time/attention from MyBroadband to MyGaming, and we found two junior guys at exactly the right time to help me - Jamie and Ryan.

    We pushed hard and did really well. We more than doubled MyGaming's unique browsers in the first month, and doubled MyGaming's previous best under James and Kevin within three months or so to over 100,000 unique browsers.

    In November we achieved something no-one thought possible -- over 300,000 unique browsers.

    This was thanks to a mixture of excellent content and some stuff that was criticised as clickbait. (Hopefully this gives you some insight – we were trying to "save" the site, in a manner of speaking, which is why we flirted with controversy on occasion.)

    While we were pushing on the editorial side, our marketing department also roped in the help of some new blood to try and secure the financial future of MyGaming. Everyone delivered exceptional work. We really did give it a fair shake. I just don't think the current market can sustain the kind of MyGaming that we would've liked to run.

    In the end, there just wasn't enough to justify 2 and a bit people working on MyGaming the whole time. Jamie now works for MyBroadband most of the time, and handles the syndication and publication of content on MyGaming, and Ryan works for BusinessTech full-time.

    MyGaming isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, but it is also not likely that the editorial resources you'd like to see dedicated to the site will happen unless there are significant shifts in the market.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  3. #183

    Default

    Thanks for the update [MENTION=289]Jan[/MENTION]! I just didn't have the time or all the details to post that.

    So [MENTION=16362]Flex[/MENTION], what [MENTION=289]Jan[/MENTION] said is basically what I wanted to tell you.

  4. #184
    Will lift for boobs! Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Local e-sports coverage and the like will make its way to MyGaming, because we're covering it for MyBroadband anyway.

    Also, every now and again there will be articles like the Cards for South Africa one today that will be something fresh, just for MyGaming.

    But, to answer the question I think you're really asking... (I can't find the source post that led to Soli's reply, so I'll try to give as much context as I can.)

    Not sure if you remember, but last year from about April to the first half of December, we pushed MyGaming massively. I shifted more of my own time/attention from MyBroadband to MyGaming, and we found two junior guys at exactly the right time to help me - Jamie and Ryan.

    We pushed hard and did really well. We more than doubled MyGaming's unique browsers in the first month, and doubled MyGaming's previous best under James and Kevin within three months or so to over 100,000 unique browsers.

    In November we achieved something no-one thought possible -- over 300,000 unique browsers.

    This was thanks to a mixture of excellent content and some stuff that was criticised as clickbait. (Hopefully this gives you some insight – we were trying to "save" the site, in a manner of speaking, which is why we flirted with controversy on occasion.)

    While we were pushing on the editorial side, our marketing department also roped in the help of some new blood to try and secure the financial future of MyGaming. Everyone delivered exceptional work. We really did give it a fair shake. I just don't think the current market can sustain the kind of MyGaming that we would've liked to run.

    In the end, there just wasn't enough to justify 2 and a bit people working on MyGaming the whole time. Jamie now works for MyBroadband most of the time, and handles the syndication and publication of content on MyGaming, and Ryan works for BusinessTech full-time.

    MyGaming isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, but it is also not likely that the editorial resources you'd like to see dedicated to the site will happen unless there are significant shifts in the market.
    What about getting Freelance guys in then? People passionate about this place, and would not mind writing articles every now and again that they would feel would benefit the site and that the local Mygamers would enjoy? Surely do not have to pay someone to keep the site fresh, relevant and well.. alive

  5. #185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    What about getting Freelance guys in then? People passionate about this place, and would not mind writing articles every now and again that they would feel would benefit the site and that the local Mygamers would enjoy? Surely do not have to pay someone to keep the site fresh, relevant and well.. alive
    We've thought of all that, but we won't ever ask people to work for free.

    Something people don't often see is that managing freelancers takes an incredible amount of time. Getting the content is just the first part of the battle. From there it has to be edited, images added, and other general quality control before it can be published.

    That said, if folks feel like contributing to the site I am open to the idea.

    Here's the thing, though... when people work for free, it always starts strong and then fizzles out. I've found that people are passionate in the beginning and then slowly get bored, lose interest, or just generally feel like using their free time on something else.

    So if people want to do this, I will require commitment and in return you will have my commitment.

    It also won't be a free-for-all: there will be rules to ensure MyGaming's brand and good standing in the industry remains intact.

    If there is enough interest, I will make the case before the powers-that-be.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  6. #186
    Will lift for boobs! Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    We've thought of all that, but we won't ever ask people to work for free.

    Something people don't often see is that managing freelancers takes an incredible amount of time. Getting the content is just the first part of the battle. From there it has to be edited, images added, and other general quality control before it can be published.

    That said, if folks feel like contributing to the site I am open to the idea.

    Here's the thing, though... when people work for free, it always starts strong and then fizzles out. I've found that people are passionate in the beginning and then slowly get bored, lose interest, or just generally feel like using their free time on something else.

    So if people want to do this, I will require commitment and in return you will have my commitment.

    It also won't be a free-for-all: there will be rules to ensure MyGaming's brand and good standing in the industry remains intact.

    If there is enough interest, I will make the case before the powers-that-be.
    I am by no means a professional at writing articles and so on. but I do like to dabble.
    So if people are keen and would want it, I can always give it a go and see how it goes. If people do not like it, then we can go back to what this is. So perhaps a poll is in order?

  7. #187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    So perhaps a poll is in order?
    Go for it, sir. Perhaps there are others who would like to try their hand as well
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

  8. #188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I am by no means a professional at writing articles and so on. but I do like to dabble.
    So if people are keen and would want it, I can always give it a go and see how it goes. If people do not like it, then we can go back to what this is. So perhaps a poll is in order?
    I say do it

  9. #189

    Default

    I'm quite adept at writing, but sadly have little time to do so. If I do have time, I should rather write more for my own business' Facebook feed.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

  10. #190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    We've thought of all that, but we won't ever ask people to work for free.

    Something people don't often see is that managing freelancers takes an incredible amount of time. Getting the content is just the first part of the battle. From there it has to be edited, images added, and other general quality control before it can be published.

    That said, if folks feel like contributing to the site I am open to the idea.

    Here's the thing, though... when people work for free, it always starts strong and then fizzles out. I've found that people are passionate in the beginning and then slowly get bored, lose interest, or just generally feel like using their free time on something else.

    So if people want to do this, I will require commitment and in return you will have my commitment.

    It also won't be a free-for-all: there will be rules to ensure MyGaming's brand and good standing in the industry remains intact.

    If there is enough interest, I will make the case before the powers-that-be.
    It's basically what i've been saying for ages and Jan, you and Soli both know, my interest in helping and supporting MyGaming has always been firm.

Similar Threads

  1. Threadkiller Mk XIII
    By Jan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11819
    Last Post: 09-09-2017, 08:48 AM
  2. Arctic Cooling launches liquid coolers for Ryzen Threadkiller
    By Jamie McKane in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-07-2017, 02:52 PM
  3. Threadkiller Mk XII
    By Jan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12016
    Last Post: 09-03-2016, 08:20 AM
  4. Threadkiller Mk XI
    By Jan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12396
    Last Post: 03-06-2015, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •