Page 40 of 178 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 ... LastLast

Thread: Threadkiller Mk. XIV

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Can I interest you in a NAS or cloud storage solution? I'll gladly consult on this and provide you some guidance. It prevents these types of heartaches.
    Thanks for the offer. My work is already saved in cloud storage thanks to private Git hosting, 3x dedicated servers at Hetzner and Google Drive. I’m not concerned about redownloading software, as my 50Mbps fibre line gets the job done quick enough. It might be worthwhile if you start a thread on it so others can benefit from your experience.

The problem is the stuff I was working on on my local machine for 2 long days. I had to migrate 6GB worth of data from a sharded Mongo environment to MySQL via Node.js. I toiled for hours to get an efficient algorithm working so it can be run in a production environment. Due to the high disk IO of this process, I guess the HDD just decided to call it quits.

I didn’t have time to push the work to Git yet, never mind make a dump of the newly created MySQL database so I won’t have to subject my next poor HDD to the same torture.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    And so my laptop’s HDD decided it was time. After 2 years and 3 months of absolute torture, it gave me the finger tonight. It started clanging on like a scrambler at full throttle and then it decided to not play along anymore.

To make matters worse, it was filled with very complex work that took me 2 days to get done, on a very tight (already overdue) deadline. Now I need to see what I can recover, wasting another couple of days that I don’t have.
    Good luck with the recovery effort, I hope it works out.

Morning TK

My parents are visiting for the week, so that's nice. It does feel as if this week has a very slow start though, hoping it picks up speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

@FarligOpptreden

We use a NAS combined with ShadowProtect. At any given time if your computer fails then you can continue on a virtual version of your computer and restore it to a new hard drive when you have that. That combined with Git and you are sorted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Good morning people of the TK. Man I am so tired of living out of a suitcase. I just want my own damn place now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Good morning people of the TK. Man I am so tired of living out of a suitcase. I just want my own damn place now.
    You've been on the road for a long time now! Hopefully you can get a place soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    You've been on the road for a long time now! Hopefully you can get a place soon.
    Thanks. Yes just waiting for the banks on my home loan, then I can actually finish buying my place. Unfortunately I';; only be able to move in on January due to the renting agreement with the current tenent, but at least it's something to look forward to for the new year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Thanks. Yes just waiting for the banks on my home loan, then I can actually finish buying my place. Unfortunately I';; only be able to move in on January due to the renting agreement with the current tenent, but at least it's something to look forward to for the new year.
    Awesome! I remember vaguely that you found a place but wasn't sure if my mind was playing tricks on me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Awesome! I remember vaguely that you found a place but wasn't sure if my mind was playing tricks on me.
    Indeed I did. Nice place in the northen parts of Midrand.

Also, COME ON PEOPLE!!! The stats so far for TKXIV does not look good:

Days running: 24
    Total Posts: 398 (as of writing this post)
    Posts per day average: 17

In comparison with other TK's:

Name:  TK stats.PNG
Views: 14
Size:  31.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I wish I can be more busy but have tons of work. And this afternoon I won't be here at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

That first and 6th TK, holy shit!

I think I started posting regularly around TK9 or so, and even then it was difficult to read all of the posts in TK. I often skipped most, or quickly browsed them to keep up.

17 is definitely low, but if you look at the TK posts per day trend, you can see how the forum is losing members who post regularly (ie dying).