Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What was the last RTS you played?

Default What was the last RTS you played?

It's been a while since I last played an RTS considering they aren't as main stream as they used to be. I've been feeling like picking up one of the strategy titles in my backlog and getting back into it again.

RPS did an article the other day on ...How to get into real-time strategy which has some good recommendations for easing back into the RTS genre.

I'm struggling to remember the last RTS I played but I reckon it was the open beta of Halo Wars 2 - which I didn't play for long.

What was the last RTS that you played?

I see that Offworld Trading Company is mentioned in the article. I've been playing that and you have to move yourself and be aggressive to succeed. The difficulty ramps up really quickly there - or maybe I'm just not that good.
    T A N S T A A F L

I played Northgard, not long ago. It's not bad, but it didn't keep me interested very long.
    One I played earlier this year, that I liked very much and would recommend, was Grey Goo.

Dawn of War III was the last one I played, really enjoyed it. The Company of Heroes series are the best RTS games I've ever played.

Order of War. Not as good as CoH but still well worth the time.

I love myself some RTS action. Its a bit blurry as to which games are true RTS games like CoH and which aeore management style games, like Offworld Trading Company. The last I played was Age of Empires 3. Its still amazing to this day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On a related note, is anyone in the Age of Empires: Definite Edition closed beta?

I got in recently (NDA allows me to say this) but I haven't yet had a chance to play it because they've locked it to multiplayer to test those functions and I have yet to find a game.

It's weird that I've fallen out of favour with RTS games considering they were my favourite genre when I got into PC games. Back in the day I started with C&C Red Alert quickly followed by StarCraft which became my all time favourite. In fact the last RTS I played was StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void and the entire StarCraft 2 series was the last great RTS I played that I really enjoyed. I haven't been able to get into anything else since even though I did pick up Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak a while back.

Something interesting that I heard in a recent dev stream was that Crate Entertainment, the people behind Grim Dawn, are working on an RTS as well. Hopefully that turns out to be something interesting and worthwhile to look forward to.

It's my favourite genre besides flight sims so i play quite often. Currently focused more on TBS games but the last RTS I played was Empires - Dawn of the Modern world.

I might focus on Wargame - AirLand Battle/Red Dragon or Cossacks 3 next.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMol View Post
    On a related note, is anyone in the Age of Empires: Definite Edition closed beta?

I got in recently (NDA allows me to say this) but I haven't yet had a chance to play it because they've locked it to multiplayer to test those functions and I have yet to find a game.
    I signed up but never got the invite to the beta. Sucks because since the AoE news from Gamescom I've been getting back into AoE 3 and AoE 2 HD. I've never really played multiplayer though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk