You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Humble Bundle bought by IGN - sad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Never used Humble Bundle, don't care

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoup View Post
    I'm not too concerned about what's going to happen to Humble to be honest.

I think this is going to affect people's perception of IGN more. How trustworthy are reviews from people who could potentially be trying to sell the thing they're reviewing? Not that anyone should ever trust a single review for anything, but anyway...

We'll have to wait and see though. Jumping to conclusions already seems a bit silly to me.
    You really don't know IGN, do you? It's been claimed that they are deep the the pockets of EA and some other game companies, too. Well, if you believe the interwebz, that is.

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/ar4E9XB_460sv.mp4

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Quote Originally Posted by beans100 View Post
    You really don't know IGN, do you? It's been claimed that they are deep the the pockets of EA and some other game companies, too. Well, if you believe the interwebz, that is.

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/ar4E9XB_460sv.mp4
    Ah yes, 9gag, the perfect host of credible news.

Also, how about a comment in a recent AMA from one of the co-creators of the Humble Bundle:

I was pretty surprised! I have no stake in Humble, and had no say in that process, and no advance warning. However, I've known Jeff since I was born, and John since kindergarten, and they both have a lot of integrity. They would never have agreed to a deal if they thought it would hurt their work supporting indie developers and charities.
    Sometimes I see this idea that selling mainstream games has damaged their support for indies, charities, cross-platform or drm-free games. But if you look at the numbers, they have all just kept going up. Every year they give more to indies and charities, port more games to Mac and Linux, and support more DRM-free games!
    I have no idea what effect this deal will have, and neither does anyone else, so I think we should just wait and see before passing judgement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Ah yes, 9gag, the perfect host of credible news.

Also, how about a comment in a recent AMA from one of the co-creators of the Humble Bundle:

9GAG wasn't suppose to be my credible proof.
    Sorry if If I offended you. You seem to love IGN, as I did, over 10 years ago. Used to be the first site I visited every morning. But after a lot of controversy, reviews that doesn't make sense, Gamersgate and a lot of other happenings, IGN just went stale for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

9GAG wasn't suppose to be my credible proof.
    Sorry if If I offended you. You seem to love IGN, as I did, over 10 years ago. Used to be the first site I visited every morning. But after a lot of controversy, reviews that doesn't make sense, Gamersgate and a lot of other happenings, IGN just went stale for me.
    Lol I saw the 9gag link and thought I exploit the opportunity.

And don't worry, I'm not offended at all. What I am concerned about is this continuous habit of, probably a vocal minority of gamers, that just grab their pitchforks and cry fowl the moment something changes. So many times this habit has been completely unjustified and amounted to nothing. I just think that now shouls not be one of those times that people stop supporting HUmble Bundle just because of this.

IGN may have a bad reputation, and you can argue that some of its criticism are completely valid. But its way to early in this deal to judge whether or not anything will change, especially with little to no evidence at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjitah View Post
    Never used Humble Bundle, don't care
    You are missing out. It's one of the best things that ever happened to gaming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Lol I saw the 9gag link and thought I exploit the opportunity.

And don't worry, I'm not offended at all. What I am concerned about is this continuous habit of, probably a vocal minority of gamers, that just grab their pitchforks and cry fowl the moment something changes. So many times this habit has been completely unjustified and amounted to nothing. I just think that now shouls not be one of those times that people stop supporting HUmble Bundle just because of this.

IGN may have a bad reputation, and you can argue that some of its criticism are completely valid. But its way to early in this deal to judge whether or not anything will change, especially with little to no evidence at all.
    *finds soapbox* #GamerGate2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

A month on and I for one can clearly see a difference. Their landing page is more marketed towards consumerism than a charitable feel, as they always had. Scroll down and you see them selling games, where as in the past they only had the latest bundle there.
    The latest bundle doesn't even have tiers and has a high price tag.
    The last few bundles, you could see the wording on the descriptions change, for example "Pay what you want for these" to "Get $200 worth for $1 or more".
    And something else is bothering me of the site, just can't put my finger on it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

A month on and I for one can clearly see a difference. Their landing page is more marketed towards consumerism than a charitable feel, as they always had. Scroll down and you see them selling games, where as in the past they only had the latest bundle there.
    The latest bundle doesn't even have tiers and has a high price tag.
    The last few bundles, you could see the wording on the descriptions change, for example "Pay what you want for these" to "Get $200 worth for $1 or more".
    And something else is bothering me of the site, just can't put my finger on it.....
    Also the early unlock for the Humble Monthly Bundle is one of the worst ever. A game with bad user reviews that nobody wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

H1Z1 had terrible reviews and dodgy devs. I've paused for a second month.
    T A N S T A A F L