Thread: What are RSS Feeds

Default What are RSS Feeds

I know they have been around for some times but I never used them, could someone explain to me what use are they?
    Evil meet my Sword. Sword, meet Evil!

Quote Originally Posted by Crzwaco View Post
    I know they have been around for some times but I never used them, could someone explain to me what use are they?
    I extensively use RSS feeds and I'm always disappointed if a news/blog type site don't have an RSS feed.

I make use of https://feedly.com/i/welcome

Basically you then have a single place where you get updates from sites that you subscribe to. So instead of going through your sites and seeing if they have updates you've got a place where you get the latest stories in the order that they are published.

It saves a lot of time and is very convenient.

I've also never used RSS.
    T A N S T A A F L

I use RSS feeds for certain podcasts to my Phone, never really used it for news, in a nutshell its normally a xml containing a title and link to a sites published content , articles,mp3's whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Crzwaco View Post
    Basically a way for news & blogs to publish a stream of headlines & first paragraph in a standardized format.

Then you get a reader that aggregates all of it in one place so that you can consume news & media efficiently.

Great idea but in practice I've struggled with it. Because it's standardised & low amount of volume it basically kills any opportunity to advertise. Guess how enthusiastic sites are about the concept...

In theory you can build crazy complicated layers of filtering & sorting on top of this. So it has a magic bullet type appeal to it in terms of info overload. Doesn't play out like that in my experience.

These days I rely 90% on reddit & mybb for filtering stuff anyway. Only news site I actually still hit directly is moneyweb
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Basically a way for news & blogs to publish a stream of headlines & first paragraph in a standardized format.

Then you get a reader that aggregates all of it in one place so that you can consume news & media efficiently.

Great idea but in practice I've struggled with it. Because it's standardised & low amount of volume it basically kills any opportunity to advertise. Guess how enthusiastic sites are about the concept...

In theory you can build crazy complicated layers of filtering & sorting on top of this. So it has a magic bullet type appeal to it in terms of info overload. Doesn't play out like that in my experience.

These days I rely 90% on reddit & mybb for filtering stuff anyway. Only news site I actually still hit directly is moneyweb
    Heathen! /bans HavocXphere.

There's a read more button beneath every story. So if you want to read more then you just follow the link. Many of the comics that I subscribe to just sends a link to the comic down with the rss feed. Which is fine because then I know when there's a new comic available.

I find it such a time saver. Otherwise I have to go check all my favourite sites manually. For instance Rock Paper Shotgun does RSS perfectly. If there's a story that looks interesting then I follow the link and read it all.

I suppose it's not for everyone or everyone would have made use of it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Only news site I actually still hit directly is moneyweb
    Do they have more stuff than they include in their daily newsletter email?
    T A N S T A A F L

Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    Do they have more stuff than they include in their daily newsletter email?
    No idea what's in their newsletter to be honest.

I just visit the site every couple days to get a bit of ZA economy / semi-political news that isn't drenched in clickbaity race stuff. Like top 5 stories.

I also find it interesting to click on the "Most read" - to see what matters to the avg reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Heathen! /bans HavocXphere.

There's a read more button beneath every story. So if you want to read more then you just follow the link.
    That's where the experience falls apart for me. Quite a few sites don't include *any* of the body text, so you're forced to read it via browser in whatever format the site is. (There goes standardised reading). And half the time I hit a paywall - at least on the stuff that interests me.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag