Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you a risk taker? Risk averse? If so in what ways?

Quote Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
    Depends on what side you got up on
    The usual side, but with a limp...

Quote Originally Posted by bradbear117 View Post
    I was quite a risk taker back in the day with regards to stunts and sports etc. but these days im not at all. Im sick of landing up injured and in pain for weeks/months. downhill skating, surfing heavy waves, jumping off rooves (into water) etc etc. im done with it. especially now that I have a child.

I never take risks with money or driving though.
    Exact opposite for me.

Extreme stuff (jumping off cliffs etc) - could never talk myself into doing crazy stuff like that. Always looked at my peers that could do that in amazement. Money risks on the other hand I find increasingly easy to rationalise the risk away.

Getting better at taking risks though.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

I pee into the wind, I walk under ladders and crossed many a black cats trails.
    Truth be told, I don't bungie jump, sky dive or mess around on boats. I need solid earth under my feet. Now that I'm getting older and have kids, I don't do any stunts anymore.
    Back in my youth, me and my friends did tricks on half pipes, with bicycles and anything with wheels.

I guess I'm not a risk taker on the money side. I say that because 70% + of my money is in a money market account (okay depending on your point of view that might be a stupid risk)
    T A N S T A A F L

I took a huge risk 3.5 years ago to start my own business with a business partner. It was hell for the first 2.5 years, but the past year has been surprisingly profitable, despite the incredibly long hours (averaging on 250 odd working hours per month for 9 months in a row now). I had to let go of any job- and financial security I had and even risked quite a bit financially in the beginning. I had to stop my RA payment a couple of months down the line because I couldn't afford it anymore. I still can't, but I'm positive that the new financial year will yield enough benefits for me to start pushing money into a retirement fund again. Besides, between paying off my house that's apparently in the most expensive suburb to rent these days and growing a business (and personal brand) that's gaining quite a bit of attention in the industries where we operate, I believe I'm securing a financial- and retirement future for myself.

On a physical level, nothing extreme. Friends and I did stupid things in high school and early varsity (like running into one another head first, for nothing more than laughs), but I've long since stopped anything like that. My most risky move these days is not getting enough sleep, rest and exercise. I try to eat healthy enough when I can though.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Stockmarket is putting a strain on my risk taking desire.

Quote Originally Posted by beans100 View Post
    I pee into the wind, I walk under ladders and crossed many a black cats trails.
    Truth be told, I don't bungie jump, sky dive or mess around on boats. I need solid earth under my feet. Now that I'm getting older and have kids, I don't do any stunts anymore.
    Back in my youth, me and my friends did tricks on half pipes, with bicycles and anything with wheels.
    Tempted to say you should totally skydive - it's fun...but then I got to the "have kids" part...that's cool too. Can totally respect that changing priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    I guess I'm not a risk taker on the money side. I say that because 70% + of my money is in a money market account (okay depending on your point of view that might be a stupid risk)
    Jirre. Why would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    Sounds like things are picking up. Own house, own business and family. Doing pretty good mate.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag