Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foxconn employee dies of "exhaustion" after 34 hour shift

Default Foxconn employee dies of "exhaustion" after 34 hour shift

Another Foxconn Employees dies

“Exhaustion” blamed after 34-hour shift

Wow...that sounds a little suspicious at least. I can understand the general suicide rate thing, but R900 a month? I guess China works very differently to...anywhere else.
    Couscous; the food so nice they named it twice

Come on, if that's what it takes to get the Latest Electronics then who are we to complain? I don't see anyone boycotting the purchase of these products, and lets face it, if these workers had better working conditions, we'd be paying more for whatever it is that they manufacture. (Makes you think, the Profit Apple makes on a iThing must be INSANE!)

People WANT better cheaper products and they don't care that its subsidised by someone on the other side of the world, earning less in a month than the damn thing costs, working in slave-labour conditions.

Yes but whether we agree with it and whether we do anything about it are two completely separate discussions. That's basically the credo of every great country.

However, to PROVE my commitment to this cause, I'm starting a Facebook group. Oughta wake some people up right?
    Couscous; the food so nice they named it twice

Wanted to respond to this reply in the comments section of the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt
    O and they have not protested yet shocking. O wait it China not SA people there actually work.
    They don't protest because they will simply be fired and replaced and if they are working under those conditions for that amount of money they clearly cannot afford to lose their jobs. If you have any knowledge of China you'll know human rights are virtually non-existent.

I think the best is Steve Jobs maintains that Foxconn "is not a sweatshop". This comment on Kotaku says it best: "At least Apple is equal opportunities in its exploitation:
    It exploits rich people with little idea of the value of technology AND the Chinese poor.
    "

It sounds a little too.......weird for me......

Why would eleven people end their lives,even though the chinese belief Suicide is worse than murder.....

Maybe theirs a serial killer on the loose,wanting to give the place bad publicity,pushing people out of windows,etc,it doesnt make sense to me

Please people, you have to remember what your consumer buying index is. R900 here won't get you much, maybe a month's groceries, but that's because everything is so damn expensive here. R900 there is equal to lot of Yuan or yen (can't remember which) which in turn gives them a lot of money to buy groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategist01 View Post
    Please people, you have to remember what your consumer buying index is. R900 here won't get you much, maybe a month's groceries, but that's because everything is so damn expensive here. R900 there is equal to lot of Yuan or yen (can't remember which) which in turn gives them a lot of money to buy groceries.
    I wish my month's groceries was R 900.

Quote Originally Posted by ChimeraTheory View Post
    I wish my month's groceries was R 900.
    Please note, I said maybe. If you're single. And have no dependants. And you're at Uni... >.>

Hahaha, I spend R1500 on dog food alone per month!!!! Granted I'm feeding 5 German Shepards, but R900 a month in any country in really nothing. Yes it might buy a lot of maize, or whatever, but can you really imagine eating pap every day for every meal...
    Last edited by DenSweeP; 03-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.