Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The least popular programming languages in the world

MyGaming Journalist

Default The least popular programming languages in the world

The least popular programming languages in the world

Stack Overflow has released the results of its Developer Story tag research, outlining the trends on its website.

How can perl be #1 ?! Its my favourite...

Quote Originally Posted by murfle View Post
    How can perl be #1 ?! Its my favourite...
    I've all but completely moved away from Perl in favor of Python & R

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    I've all but completely moved away from Perl in favor of Python & R
    I haven't touched Python since working with Zope in a previous life, but I've been accumulating resources as I'm going to be using it again in the foreseeable future.

I've actually found Python to be a very good all rounder and definitely a drop-in replacement for the stuff I used to do in Perl.

Ya, for sure. I know it is very robust, but how well is regex implemented compared to perl?

Quote Originally Posted by murfle View Post
    Ya, for sure. I know it is very robust, but how well is regex implemented compared to perl?
    Very well actually, they have it nearly identical to the way Perl handles it. In fact the "re" standard regex module states "This module provides regular expression matching operations similar to those found in Perl."

You also have the "regex" module further extends the regex capabilities of Python

I honestly don't see how C#, Java and C++ are among the most hated languages. C# and Java are both incredibly good languages, especially with recent updates to their respective interpreters. People probably just hate C++ because it forces you to think what you're doing with memory, but it's a good practice to learn even when working with managed languages.

The participants from SO are probably the magpie developers who chase after the latest, greatest language and immediately dismiss the tried and tested languages and frameworks. As much as I love JavaScript, the general framework fatigue developers experience is an absolute reality. I prefer keeping things as clean and pure as possible, only adding in Babel (or similar transpilers) to take advantage of ES6 features.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    I honestly don't see how C#, Java and C++ are among the most hated languages. C# and Java are both incredibly good languages, especially with recent updates to their respective interpreters. People probably just hate C++ because it forces you to think what you're doing with memory, but it's a good practice to learn even when working with managed languages.

The participants from SO are probably the magpie developers who chase after the latest, greatest language and immediately dismiss the tried and tested languages and frameworks. As much as I love JavaScript, the general framework fatigue developers experience is an absolute reality. I prefer keeping things as clean and pure as possible, only adding in Babel (or similar transpilers) to take advantage of ES6 features.
    People hate C++ for exactly that. It forces you to actually think about what you are doing, it has no chill. The C# hate I really don't get at all, it's a solid language with a good support base and is extremely well documented.

Java hate I get, but not the actual coding in Java bit. I hate everything around it.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    People hate C++ for exactly that. It forces you to actually think about what you are doing, it has no chill. The C# hate I really don't get at all, it's a solid language with a good support base and is extremely well documented.

Java hate I get, but not the actual coding in Java bit. I hate everything around it.
    JDK updates every 2 days.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--