Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Net Neutrality and the FCC. Your thoughts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default Net Neutrality and the FCC. Your thoughts?

    https://wccftech.com/no-state-can-fi...et-neutrality/

    Wil this actually be possible and will it affect us in south africa. If this happens i think that DSTV might actually get their way with the anti piracy laws they are trying to push in south africa. And if ISP's can start controlling access to what websites we will be able to use where only if you pay a ridiculous amount for premium access you can still have access to everything.

  2. #2
    bradbear117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Its fuckin bad. they are trying to control the distribution of information globally. Keep certain communities in the dark while the rest prosper.....for instance: Bitcoin, imagine being denied all that info. and it only being privy to the americans elite or whatever.

    You think there's fake news now? We aint seen nothing if the FCC get their way.
    Bad news about certain world leaders gets squashed and they are made up to be God's for example.

    Taking away neutrality gives all control to a certain minority - the government of the internet. information and self betterment will be taken away from many.
    This goes far deeper than piracy and porn, believe me.

  3. #3

    Default

    Its time for the world governments to offload their nuclear stockpile onto the US.

    Two birds and all that.

  4. #4

    Default

    Most of the tier 1 ISPs are in the US...so this will affect SA without SA being able to do much about it
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

  5. #5

    Default



    This...pretty much

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post


    This...pretty much
    But we already have this here in SA. Or something very similar. Throttling is basically our ISPs "managing" what we have easy access to. If you want unmanaged access to the internet you need to buy a more expensive package. We also have the "media bundle addons". For an extra Rxx all your netflix an bla bla bla as zero rated data.

    The example in your post is an extreme one indicative of an Orwellian society and could very easily become the norm for but it is not like we have been living with this for a while... if only mildly.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Werfetter View Post
    But we already have this here in SA. Or something very similar. Throttling is basically our ISPs "managing" what we have easy access to. If you want unmanaged access to the internet you need to buy a more expensive package. We also have the "media bundle addons". For an extra Rxx all your netflix an bla bla bla as zero rated data.

    The example in your post is an extreme one indicative of an Orwellian society and could very easily become the norm for but it is not like we have been living with this for a while... if only mildly.
    What you're saying is partly true. Yes, our ISPs do throttle/prioritize certain types of traffic. However under net neutrality rules this is perfectly fine. If they had to suddenly restrict access to Netflix/Showmax/etc and offer a "streaming bolt-on" this would be what people are fighting against. When ISPs throttle or prioritize traffic it's for their own benefit to ensure a consistent experience for all subscribers. The moment a large company pays an ISP to get priority throughput we're up shit creek.

    Currently it's a level playing field between online stores Amazon and Takealot for example gets exactly the same throughput as Sipho's online spaza shop, and that is what net neutrality is all about.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    What you're saying is partly true. Yes, our ISPs do throttle/prioritize certain types of traffic. However under net neutrality rules this is perfectly fine. If they had to suddenly restrict access to Netflix/Showmax/etc and offer a "streaming bolt-on" this would be what people are fighting against. When ISPs throttle or prioritize traffic it's for their own benefit to ensure a consistent experience for all subscribers. The moment a large company pays an ISP to get priority throughput we're up shit creek.

    Currently it's a level playing field between online stores Amazon and Takealot for example gets exactly the same throughput as Sipho's online spaza shop, and that is what net neutrality is all about.
    I agree that it is definitely not quite the same but it is not far from it either.

    I do however not believe that it will get quite that bad though. As soon as those packages start showing up some fed up consumer will start his/her own ISP as direct competition as Mr Musk has already threatened to do...

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Werfetter View Post
    I agree that it is definitely not quite the same but it is not far from it either.

    I do however not believe that it will get quite that bad though. As soon as those packages start showing up some fed up consumer will start his/her own ISP as direct competition as Mr Musk has already threatened to do...
    The best thing the US ISPs can do is to just deprioritize all traffic to/from FCC offices and as many FCC officials as possible. Like 56k modem speeds.

  10. #10

    Default

    On a lighter note I saw this yesterday and the title cracked me up!

    Ajit has internet if you have coin.

    Name:  izg5T1H.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  125.9 KB

Similar Threads

  1. We'll give you 5G if you relax net neutrality: EU telecoms operators
    By Jamie McKane in forum Broadband Internet and Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2016, 05:04 PM
  2. Say whatever you want! - Net neutrality in South Africa
    By RyanBrothwell in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2016, 12:32 PM
  3. Net Neutrality
    By Duke Dude in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-01-2014, 01:14 AM
  4. TPB AFK - Your thoughts?
    By Edelweiss in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-01-2013, 11:19 AM
  5. Top TV Thoughts?
    By gmathews in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 19-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •