Thread: A petition to have EA’s Star Wars license revoked is catching on

Default A petition to have EA’s Star Wars license revoked is catching on

EA has encountered plenty of backlash in the build-up to Star Wars Battlefront II’s launch and even after turning microtransactions off, it seems that tensions are high. Aside from the game selling far fewer copies compared to 2015’s Battlefront, some Star Wars fans are now petitioning to get EA’s rights to the franchise revoked.

Currently there is a petition calling for Disney to revoke EA’s rights to the Star Wars franchise going viral. The petition outlines a list of complaints, ranging from the publisher’s handling of Battlefront (2015) the ‘pivot’ on Visceral Games’ Star Wars title and finally, the drama surrounding Battlefront II.

Currently, the petition has over 19,000 signatures, which pales in comparison to the number of upvotes it has received on Reddit. There are already rumors that Disney executives are unhappy with EA’s handling of Star Wars Battlefront II, and with the game being brought up in political discussions, and petitions doing the rounds, it is unclear what will happen next.

Of course, we do need to keep in mind that Disney/LucasFilm’s hands may be tied in all of this, EA would have spent a lot of money obtaining exclusive rights to the Star Wars franchise. Contracts like that aren’t going to be simple. On top of that, we don’t know how much involvement Disney/LucasFilm executives had when it came to talks of additional monetisation for Battlefront II, there is always the possibility that they approved it from the start.

Source: Kitguru

Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean

They would have approved it from the start Im sure. Unfortunately.

I think its time people just stop buying anything from EA, it might suck for a while if you actually want one of their titles but after they crash and burn i'm sure another studio will buy their most popular IP's and maybe do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
    I think its time people just stop buying anything from EA, it might suck for a while if you actually want one of their titles but after they crash and burn i'm sure another studio will buy their most popular IP's and maybe do a better job.
    Exactly. I caved on ME:A, cuz it is ME, and I'll probably buy the next one too, but not at launch, and not until I know they don't microtransaction the crap out of it, and no EA games in between...

Thankfully ME is on hold indefinitely!

I so desperately want Battlefront 2... But i wont buy it unless they make an announcement on how they are going to fix the game progression, and not at the astronomical cost that they deemed fit before the launch

"I shave my arms so I'm more aerodynamic in a fight" Wlad 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I so desperately want Battlefront 2... But i wont buy it unless they make an announcement on how they are going to fix the game progression, and not at the astronomical cost that they deemed fit before the launch
    I’m in the same boat. I contemplated getting it for some play time over the festive period. Reading the the campaign is short and boring and the single-player matches against AI are also sub-standard didn’t give me much hope. I loved the first game, even though I only spent around 30 hours in it. I bought the season pass as well and haven’t touched most of the DLC yet.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

I know this would never work (as much as the petition mentioned in OP), but we need to start petitions to get local retailers to stop selling EA games.

The only EA games I play is Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Since Mass Effect is dead and the next Dragon Age is still far away, I'm good with a boycott of EA. Even if there were a new game to be released from Bioware, I wouldn't buy it new based on the experience with the last game. Seeing as Anthem seems to be quite multiplayer orientated, I wouldn't be surprised if EA tries to pull the same nonsense as with Battlefront 2.

No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

I have not bought anything EA since they botched Sim City. So my boycott will continue until they prove they are capable of releasing decent products and supporting them.