Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have achievements have gone too far?

Default Have achievements gone too far?

Getting an achievement for finishing a game on a certain difficulty level or completing a level is fine. Getting an achievement for actually achieving something is also great.

I think it has gone too far now though. You get achievements for experiencing things you would encounter/see during the normal course of play.

For example, I was was playing Cities Skylines again this weekend and got an achievement for experiencing the rain. This is silly because that would have happened no matter what.
    Last edited by czc; 04-12-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Extra have in title
    T A N S T A A F L

Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    Getting an achievement for finishing a game on a certain difficulty level or completing a level is fine. Getting an achievement for actually achieving something is also great.

I think it has gone too far now though. You get achievements for experiencing things you would encounter/see during the normal course of play.

For example, I was was playing Cities Skylines again this weekend and got an achievement for experiencing the rain. This is silly because that would have happened no matter what.
    Haha the best achievement I got and one that you'll think is pretty ridiculous is this one:

Name:  2017-12-04 10_05_53-Sunset Overdrive Achievements List _ XboxAchievements.com.png
Views: 82
Size:  23.1 KB

In Sunset Overdrive you get an achievement for getting an achievement. It made me laugh when I got it.

I think it depends on if you are an achievement whore or not. To me personally, I've never been too concerned about any achievements. So getting an achievement for not doing anything hasn't really bothered me.

But yes, there are achievements that you get for doing absolutely nothing. And then there are some achievements that are just funny and/or stupid. Look at something like The Stanley Parable. That game had some of the best achievements. They were a sort of meta game that complimented the actual game.

This is where the "rare" achievement comes in. Noone cares that you finished chapter 1 of the game. but getting the gnome all the way through on HL:E2 is worth having. Thats why I have my rarest achievements show up on my profile. I'm proud of those, as almost 99% of them required me to actually go out of my way to get them.

So yeah while I agree that many achievements are not, in a sense, ACHIEVEMENTS, they still exist and there are still those of us who track them down and love doing so

Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean

It makes me think that MS and Sony have a requirement for amount of achievments in game. so the devs just fill up the achievement count with a few mundane things in between all the interesting ones. i think it must be quite an extra amount of work to add cool achievement goals and then set the game up for the player to accomplish them.

Quote Originally Posted by bradbear117 View Post
    It makes me think that MS and Sony have a requirement for amount of achievments in game. so the devs just fill up the achievement count with a few mundane things in between all the interesting ones. i think it must be quite an extra amount of work to add cool achievement goals and then set the game up for the player to accomplish them.
    This is probably most likely. Most Xbox games have a combined gamer score of no less than 1000, and the achievements are structured to meet this or more. Plus Xbox has those rare diamond achievements, which gives a pleasant sound when you achieve them. I didn't go out to get them, but they were awesome to get. And I believe they are actually rare.

There are just too many. I don't even read them anymore. Like I'm playing SC2 atm...basically every mission you complete gets you three "achievements".

Back in the day that was combined into one achievement - the "mission accomplished" message.

Inflation I suppose
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    There are just too many. I don't even read them anymore. Like I'm playing SC2 atm...basically every mission you complete gets you three "achievements".

Back in the day that was combined into one achievement - the "mission accomplished" message.

Inflation I suppose
    Maybe its easy/medium/hard? I get that with certain games too, since ip play hard as default. so when you finish an area/mission/map/chapter/game, it gives you all at once

Quote Originally Posted by mottamort View Post
    Maybe its easy/medium/hard? I get that with certain games too, since ip play hard as default. so when you finish an area/mission/map/chapter/game, it gives you all at once
    nah whatever the standard setting is.

I actually stopped playing games at the harder settings. I figured given limited time and a big collection might as well cruise through it on standard.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    nah whatever the standard setting is.

I actually stopped playing games at the harder settings. I figured given limited time and a big collection might as well cruise through it on standard.
    I am also playing SC2 at the moment and the achievements are definitely difficulty based.

Casual:first achievement(for completing the mission)
    Normal:first and second achievement per mission (if the challenge is completed)
    Hard:all three achiements per mission(if the challenge is completed)

Then there are also extra ingame achiements for completing all the research options, buying all the mercs and for finishing certain side charechter quests like tosch and nova, and doc Ariels quests

Note: I am talking about the Wings of Liberty campaign, I am not sure about the other two expansions.

I like achievements, I don't really go out of my way to get them but it's nice to get them. Wether it's for something simple like completing a mission, or one I would have gotten by just playing the game that was unavoidable, or doing something a bit more difficult like surving for an hour against the AI or whatever, I find them humorous and a simple nice-to-have.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Almighty legit one.

Steam: TechThief Battle.net: TechThief#2664 Uplay: CrzCop Origin: TechThief